QGS Discussion
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: QGS Discussion  (Read 2355 times)

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
QGS Discussion
« Reply #20 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 12:40:02 PM »
damn, that build up, so well orchestrated, damn good job Topher, you've got me enthralled.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #21 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
<3!

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
QGS Discussion
« Reply #22 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
Seriously. That was fantastic. I could hear the dramatic music in my head as the scene played out.

I also liked the reveal of who the Quiet Girl title really refers to. I naturally assumed it was in reference to Mari being quiet for so many cycles.

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
QGS Discussion
« Reply #23 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 01:11:46 PM »
I also liked the reveal of who the Quiet Girl title really refers to. I naturally assumed it was in reference to Mari being quiet for so many cycles.
same, although I think it makes sense that it can refer to them both.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
QGS Discussion
« Reply #24 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
AAAHHH, so awesome! So badass! Love the title reference as well. The build-up was perfect.

Also, I was hoping my theory was correct. :D

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #25 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 04:30:35 PM »
Thanks so much, guys. <3

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
QGS Discussion
« Reply #26 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
Do you intend to carry on with QGS Topher? I only ask because that seemed like an ending of sorts to me.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #27 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
Yup, I'm only maybe halfway through the story. It goes through their whole history up to the current cycle. Everything else eventually gets folded in, like the Inufantry, del Burrito, the guitar, Joe and the cameras, etc.

Grog

• nubbin
QGS Discussion
« Reply #28 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
The Field of Strawberries image is amazing.  Were all the cycles the same as the one previous until Kimiko decided to attack them?

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #29 on: 05/ 26/ 2015, 09:26:45 PM »
Yeah, hence the strawberry field. Each time Mari was cut open it produced a small patch of strawberries like in the first one. So that's a lot of times. That's why Mari is so much more conscious in the last one, they've been at it for a while.

If I'd animated it, I would've probably done more of a montage kind of thing to show it repeating, but with the stories I kept it to just a few so people would get the idea without having to read the same thing over and over too much. But yeah, there are quite a few cycles between part 2 and part 3. They all went down the same aside from her remembering more and more each time.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
QGS Discussion
« Reply #30 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 07:53:35 AM »
Catching up right now and loving it. Say would it be possible to have a "next chapter" button at the bottom of each chapter page? That would make it much easier to read the whole thing.
If it is already there I apologize for missing it.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #31 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 09:13:11 AM »
Shit, why didn't I do that... good idea, I'll get on it today.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
QGS Discussion
« Reply #32 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
If I'd animated it, I would've probably done more of a montage kind of thing to show it repeating

I think I like how somewhat vague it is, though. It's not blatant, which makes the viewer have to think for a second and thus makes the "OH!" realization a stronger emotion. Having a montage would be cool visually, but it wouldn't give that extra bit of something to the viewer.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #33 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
I've found that to be the hardest part of doing this. Trying to find a balance between giving enough information that people understand what's happening, and leaving it subtle enough that it's not like "LET ME EXPLAIN." I don't know how far to trust the reader to puzzle it out.

Sometimes people get it twisted; like after the Hajuro chapter many people were like "Oh, so the horse turned into a guitar. Interesting." And "I'm like WTF, no, what..." and then I had to write a stupid chapter all like "the horse is the car and the guitar is blah blah blah" to get everything back on track so I could move on.

It's hard to resolve stuff for people who haven't seen TJS, and I have to also work out that nobody else has had the plot rolling around in their head for 4 years and sometimes it's tough to know what's obvious and what's vague from the reader's perspective.

Because I want it to be fun to read, to piece everything together, but I also need it to not be confusing. Hard work.

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
QGS Discussion
« Reply #34 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
Have you considered maybe having someone else read a chapter before putting it out and asking them if they understand? It could help.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #35 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
I do. I have my wife read them, and if she knows what's going on with her limited english skills, then I figure it makes enough sense. Still hard to get it right sometimes, though.

Grog

• nubbin
QGS Discussion
« Reply #36 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 05:35:20 PM »
Yeah, hence the strawberry field. Each time Mari was cut open it produced a small patch of strawberries like in the first one. So that's a lot of times. That's why Mari is so much more conscious in the last one, they've been at it for a while.

I asked about the cycles because you'd mentioned that Geraldo changed from cycle to cycle and that they had once come upon a cycle where dogs were kept as pets.  I was wondering if Kimiko had to try and change the cycle or if her life followed the same event in this time no matter what changes in the cycle.

I have my wife read them

You're married?  Congratulations, I can't believe I've been gone so long I'd missed that.   Sorry.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
QGS Discussion
« Reply #37 on: 05/ 27/ 2015, 06:50:15 PM »
Ah, ok. You'll find all that out eventually.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it

Grog

• nubbin
QGS Discussion
« Reply #39 on: 05/ 28/ 2015, 07:06:21 PM »
That is an amazing explanation for ghosts.  Also, Mari is adorable for still being embarrassed by the floating text.