Stranger Things
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 433 times)

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Stranger Things
« on: 08/ 05/ 2016, 02:51:25 PM »
So, what did you think? You even gonna watch it? I think it is quite the neat show.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Stranger Thing
« Reply #1 on: 08/ 05/ 2016, 04:29:21 PM »
Just started watching yesterday--about to watch some more. I'm loving it already. Though, it doesn't quite have the subtle mystery I was hoping for, in the manner of Twin Peaks. There are definitely a lot of questions, but not quite on the level I prefer. The terror is less "creeping" and more tangible. Regardless, it's an awesome show. Killer music as well.

Probably gonna bow out of this thread until I finish the show, as there are sure to be spoilers at some point. XD

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Stranger Things
« Reply #2 on: 08/ 05/ 2016, 10:49:21 PM »
This fucking show. So insane.

The monster is like SCP-106 meets Valtiel from Silent Hill.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Stranger Things
« Reply #3 on: 08/ 06/ 2016, 12:29:38 AM »
its such an awesome show. i got to episode 8 and didnt realize until the last 8 or so minutes that it was the last episode.

I really like that it has kids in real actual mortal danger and/or interacting with death. I feel like that's one of the key elements of the great 80s movies with kids in them that we dont really get anymore. hell, we dont get live-action kids movies at all anymore. But think back to stuff like Goonies or Red Dawn or The Lost Boys or whatever. That shit was exciting, because there was an element of realism to the violence in those. I think Stranger things does a great job bringing that back.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Stranger Things
« Reply #4 on: 08/ 06/ 2016, 12:47:31 AM »
Yeah, that's one of my favourite aspects. And why I enjoyed Super 8. People seem so scared of "infecting" children with the idea of death and mortality. But they'll sure as hell dress a little girl up like a dead person. Silliness. We need more stuff like this.

Anyway, The Gate is another good 80s one, which actually has some similarities with this.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Stranger Things
« Reply #5 on: 08/ 06/ 2016, 06:06:18 AM »
There are still kids movies, they just don't count for anything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eHPW7n7Ko

The Soundtrack is the first thing I noticed. And the rad DnD campaign. Those small things are super neat.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Stranger Things
« Reply #6 on: 08/ 06/ 2016, 09:34:59 AM »
That theme song had me looking for Cliff Martinez' name in the credits. It sounds so much like some of the stuff he did for The Neon Demon and Only God Forgives.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Stranger Things
« Reply #7 on: 08/ 07/ 2016, 11:19:41 PM »
FINISHED. Loved it.

Really hoping for a season 2. So many questions left unanswered, which is actually a thing I was hoping for and fills the "lack of subtlety" feeling I was getting earlier.

Also, really hope El is still alive, considering Hopper left out waffles. I just have no idea how the hell she'd be alive after disintegrating. Unless she merely transported to the Upside-Down after killing the Demogorgon, cause of some crazy power fluctuation like she did when she opened up the first portal. We know it might be possible, considering Will can apparently do something like it, as we saw in the bathroom. Unless that was some kind of weird flashback thing. I dunno.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Stranger Things
« Reply #8 on: 08/ 09/ 2016, 03:52:25 PM »
Those slugs were disgusting.

I like the way it ended. There somewhat of a happy ending, but there are enough things there to remind everyone that shit went down and that no one got out without anything happening to them.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Stranger Things
« Reply #9 on: 08/ 09/ 2016, 11:22:50 PM »
Yeah, and that shit is probably still going down. To think there's only one Gemogorgon in an entire Upside-Down, which is our entire world backwards, is crazy. I bet there are more of that thing, and/or other things.

Another theory is that the Upside-Down used to be just a parallel world that looked exactly the same as ours, but was infected by something horrible and destroyed. Meaning, that same thing could happen to the current world. Maybe the Gemogorgon was human once, and that's what the slugs eventually do to people if not removed, and why Will is now tied to the Upside-Down after getting it in his system.

In other news:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXKc6-GU5c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXKc6-GU5c</a>

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Stranger Things
« Reply #10 on: 08/ 22/ 2016, 01:02:59 AM »
I loved it, but I am in a place right now that needs happy endings and that didn't help!

Great show.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Stranger Things
« Reply #11 on: 10/ 18/ 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
Finally finished it last night. It was good.

It was really trope-y, though. Single mom, shitty absent dad, semi-popular girl who has to choose between the popular rich boy and the quiet nerdy guy who's just come into her life and opened her eyes. Spooky science company covering up a rogue experiment, loner cop with a troubled past, blazing his own trail to the truth.

I dunno, I feel like the whole structure was already there and they just put a different coat of paint on an old building. I expected it to be a little more original for all the hype that surrounded it. But that's not the show's fault as much as it's social media's.

Still did like it quite a lot though, and it was a really enjoyable watch. LOVED the 80s setting, everything looked like it did when I was a wee lad, which was really fun. My first car was actually the same pinto Winona Ryder's character drove, cept mine wasn't green. I really dug seeing the little time period details like Mike's calculator watch and some of the stuff around the house. Grew up with that very same stuff, man. Fun.

And that opening theme/sequence is 80s as FUCK. All the spooky shows when I was little opened just like that. So perfectly done.