Currently Airing Anime
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Currently Airing Anime  (Read 286470 times)

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Re: Anime Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 06:58:35 PM »
I actually don't understand people who will drop something 2-3 episodes in and say they didn't like it. It's like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie, and then yelling out in the middle of the theater: "THIS MOVIE IS ASS!"

Normally, you watch the whole movie and then form your opinion, or at at the very least, half the movie. Now if the anime is airing and you don't feel like keeping up with it, that is understandable, but once you've got all the episodes sitting in front you, theres no point in turning back at that point.

If your still bored by episode 10, I will apologize

Everyone has their own preferences.
I dropped Shangri-La after the first episode because they started talking all economics and stock markets. But I kept going with Spice and Wolf.  I've dropped plenty of shows 1-3 episodes in and I'm not even that picky. Nothing wrong with anyone that does, it just means that the show didn't click with them. Since most ISPs are capping their users, most people don't have the bandwidth to waste on shows that they have to d/l 10 episodes to find out if it gets good or not.

I used to gamble a lot on anime vhs and dvds by buying first volumes of series that had an interesting back cover, that's the reason why I own the first vol of texhnolyze+collectors box. I've gotten burned plenty of times but also struck gold too. I've learned to not waste my time on something that I get the feeling I'm just not going to enjoy.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #21 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 07:01:10 PM »
Everyone has their own preferences.
, most people don't have the bandwidth to waste on show that they have to d/l 10 episodes to find out if it gets good or not.

I don't usually download anime. I stream.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #22 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
I stream too ;p
I watched all of Slam Dunk, starting from ep40, on Hulu because it was more convenient. But streaming still uses bandwidth. Just up until the end of last year my cap was 100gb for the entire house. Right now mine is at 250gb so I'm okay for now but I've bumped up against it a few times.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #23 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
 I didn't like the first 2(?) episodes of FLCL, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Similarly, there were a lot of moments when I was going to drop Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, but there were some* really good episodes in there too. Maybe I'm just patient when it comes to shows.

I did end up watching 5 episodes of Hanamaru Kindergarten before I finally put my foot down and said, "No more!"

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
« Reply #24 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 07:12:43 PM »
Baka to Test was just my cup of tea. I'm glad it's getting a 2nd season.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #25 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
 The bad episodes were kind of meh, but the good ones were really damn good. I hope they improve one the show for the second season. Most of the problems I had with it were because of the pacing.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #26 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 07:22:14 PM »
Baka to Test was just my cup of tea. I'm glad it's getting a 2nd season.

This.

Probably one of the better comedies in a long while. Voyeur is my hero.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
« Reply #27 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 07:28:17 PM »
 You know a show I don't hear people talk about enough? Black Blood Brothers. I really like the world and feel they could have done a lot more if the series had continued.

Also, there should be a ban on vampire anime for a few years. Over saturation ruins a genre, theme w/e.

Gotenks0053

• nubbin
  • ALPHA BETA!
« Reply #28 on: 04/ 23/ 2010, 08:43:12 PM »
I just watched all of Initial D :).  Have to say, it was amazing.  My favorite battle has to be either 86 vs 86 or 86 vs Cappuccino.  And I would have to go with 4th Stage as my favorite.  What about you guys?  What was your favorite battle and stage?

Also watched the horrible live action movie -_-.  I was not amused.

Thinking of watching Baccano next off of a recommendation from someone in my anime club.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #29 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 12:18:30 AM »

I actually don't understand people who will drop something 2-3 episodes in and say they didn't like it. It's like watching the first 5 minutes of a movie, and then yelling out in the middle of the theater: "THIS MOVIE IS ASS!"

If your still bored by episode 10, I will apologize

Wait a sec, if there are 12 eps in a (short) season, then we should suffer through most of it because why now? I've sat through plenty of bad anime and in the end there were far better shows that I could have been spending that time on. Being 32 makes me about 75 years old in otaku years. It isn't like the old days when there were 5 anime tapes at the local Blockbuster and that was it. At that time it was what they had or nothing so people sat through some shit just for the fact it was anime. Remember Angel Cop anyone? Yeah. Like that. In fact, here, enjoy it condensed. (SO NSFW)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU[/youtube]

Even in the anime subculture, I find that my tastes are unique. There are a lot of "classic" and popular shows (that won't die) that I'm not particularly fond of. Like Death Note. But I won't get into that.

Anime I am watching: (some of this is old because I watch it with the local anime club and we only do a few eps every two weeks). We recently finished Kemeko DX. The ending was not great but what a fun show.

Anyway, currently watching Kaasan~ Mom's Life, Air Gear, Nodame Cantabile Finale, Kimi Ni Todoke, Hanamaru Kindergarten
Need to catch up on: Ristorante Paradiso, Heroman, Saki (may just start this one over from the beginning because I forgot the Riichi mahjong rules)
Plan to watch: Working!! Gankutsuou (only saw a couple eps, love the style)

If there is a slice of life anime or josei anime I probably like it, or at least give it a chance. (note: slice of life, not moeblob). It pains me what happened to seasons 2 & 3 of Minami Ke. Also my love for Tenchi Muyo knows no bounds (but not the space police spinoffs and certainly not Tenchi In Tokyo)

So...yeah.

Oh hey Manic Maverick, read the manga for D Gray Man if you can. It reaches EPIC levels of awesome. The author isn't afraid to kill people. Lots of them. And torture the rest. Millenium Earl is a bad, bad man.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #30 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 12:43:23 AM »
Wait a sec, if there are 12 eps in a (short) season, then we should suffer through most of it because why now?

I was using Higruoshi as a reference, I assume a 12 episode season would be closer to 5-6 episodes.

Also I should say, the type of anime, the genre, and just overall, different anime you can probably tell if you want to keep watching at certain points. That being said, somethings take a while for you to "get it." I could understand someone stopping k-on two episodes in even though it picks up a bit later on it's not going to change much. Higuroshi I think, takes a little more time, and 10 episodes in is where I think you have a pretty good understanding of what your missing out on if you stop watching.
« Last Edit: 04/ 24/ 2010, 01:07:35 AM by Neonie »

Krow

• nubbin
  • In 2012 the superbowl saved my life
« Reply #31 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 09:58:19 AM »
I have watched a pitifully small list of anime series.

RECOMMEND ME STUFF. ANYTHING. I HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH TO HAVE PREFERENCES.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
« Reply #32 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
I have watched a pitifully small list of anime series.

RECOMMEND ME STUFF. ANYTHING. I HAVEN'T SEEN ENOUGH TO HAVE PREFERENCES.

If your not squeamish and don't mind gore:

Higurashi no Naku koro ni KaI

Something you absolutely NEED to watch:

Toppa Tengan Gurren Lagann
Sayonara Zetsbou Sensei
Azumanga Diao

If you have any interest in moe/cute girls:

Strike Witches
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
K-On!

Deep Shit:

Serial Experiments Lain

Misc:

Spice and Wolf

Krow

• nubbin
« Reply #33 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 10:35:10 AM »
If your not squeamish and don't mind gore:

Higurashi no Naku koro ni KaI

Something you absolutely NEED to watch:

Toppa Tengan Gurren Lagann
Sayonara Zetsbou Sensei
Azumanga Diao

If you have any interest in moe/cute girls:

Strike Witches
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
K-On!

Deep Shit:

Serial Experiments Lain

Misc:

Spice and Wolf

Thanks for the recommendations man!

Out of those I've only seen TTGL, Saynora Zetsbou Sensei, and Spice and Wolf. I'll check the other ones out.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
« Reply #34 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 10:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations man!

Out of those I've only seen TTGL, Saynora Zetsbou Sensei, and Spice and Wolf. I'll check the other ones out.

If you have any trouble finding a place to watch any of them, try this place

Krow

• nubbin
« Reply #35 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 11:19:02 AM »
If you have any trouble finding a place to watch any of them, try this place

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #36 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 12:41:58 PM »
Azumanga Daioh seconded. I prefer Haibane Renmei over Lain - same creator though. Le Chevalier D'eon. Kemeko DX.

Older series: Love Hina, Tenchi Muyo, You're Under Arrest, Ah My Goddess

slice of life: Minami Ke (season 1 only), Nodame Cantabile (all)

I watch a lot of anime here http://www.crunchyroll.com

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
« Reply #37 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 01:23:15 PM »
Tenchi Muyo

Tenchi and Ai Yori Aoshi are both very good if you like harem anime. Tenchi was the first real anime I watched, and Ai Yori Aoshi was the first manga I owned. So both are very dear to me.

JusticeDude

•   
  • Twin Tail Waifu
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #38 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 01:53:26 PM »
A few months ago I discovered that Hulu was hosting all 152 episodes of Fist of the North Star series 1 & 2.  I am now on episode 130.  You could say that I'm a fan.

(Krow, you should also watch this show)

My fandom has caused me to do a couple of dumb things already.  First off I bought the Super Famicom fighting game which turned out to be awful, and I also rented the American made live-action movie from Netflix.  Neither of those things were good ideas.

But I also got a pretty sweet Kenshiro Revoltech.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
« Reply #39 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 01:58:59 PM »
Tenchi and Ai Yori Aoshi are both very good if you like harem anime. Tenchi was the first real anime I watched, and Ai Yori Aoshi was the first manga I owned. So both are very dear to me.

*two thumbs way up*

btw Neonie, did you ever watch Kashimashi - Girl Meets Girl?