Currently Airing Anime
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Currently Airing Anime  (Read 515465 times)

TheCleaningGuy

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night
    • Siliconera
Re: Anime Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 03:32:57 PM »
As someone who hasn't watched anime for probably more than a year, I want to say thanks for the above recommendations! Is there anything particularly good this season so far?

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #41 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 04:38:46 PM »
the last couple of seasons have been generally considered weak and loaded with fan service. Fan service isn't a bad thing, but it helps to have a plot.

Heroman has promise and Nodame Cantabile Finale is amazing, but that requires watching the previous series of  Nodame Cantabile and Nodame Cantabile:Parisen for it to make sense. Well, Parisen at the very least.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #42 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
As someone who hasn't watched anime for probably more than a year, I want to say thanks for the above recommendations! Is there anything particularly good this season so far?

Depends on what you like

For average anime, I hear the best thing is Durarara (I haven't actually watched it yet though). For comedic purposes, I'd say Maid-Sama. And for making you making you dizzy with cuteness, I'd say K-On!!

Also, Black Rock Shooter is coming up soon, and that looks bad ass.

Krow

• nubbin
  • In 2012 the superbowl saved my life
« Reply #43 on: 04/ 24/ 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
Thanks to both of you for all of the recommendations. You've given me more than enough to tide me over for the next couple of months. :D

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #44 on: 04/ 25/ 2010, 01:06:15 AM »
Nodame Cantabile Finale is amazing

While I did enjoy it quite a bit, I thought Finale was pretty weak compared to the first two seasons. I enjoyed the series for its use of music, which the first two seasons did an excellent job of showing them playing during concerts and reticles. This last season felt like it went through a moefication: too much GYABO, not enough Schubert. That and the ending left an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth. I'd say I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the next bonus episode, but I think it's just more back story.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #45 on: 04/ 25/ 2010, 01:30:39 AM »
While I did enjoy it quite a bit, I thought Finale was pretty weak compared to the first two seasons. I enjoyed the series for its use of music, which the first two seasons did an excellent job of showing them playing during concerts and reticles. This last season felt like it went through a moefication: too much GYABO, not enough Schubert. That and the ending left an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth. I'd say I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the next bonus episode, but I think it's just more back story.

It's going to take me a while to get through finale since that's one of the aforementioned anime club shows. However the bit I like is that Chiaki is acting like a boyfriend for once and not putting his career first. I can see what you mean about less music though. Seems like the only person that's playing right now is Nodame and her teacher.  The first season was kind of moe, with Nodame and her raccoon (?) suit.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #46 on: 04/ 25/ 2010, 01:36:37 AM »
It's going to take me a while to get through finale since that's one of the aforementioned anime club shows. However the bit I like is that Chiaki is acting like a boyfriend for once and not putting his career first. I can see what you mean about less music though. Seems like the only person that's playing right now is Nodame and her teacher.  The first season was kind of moe, with Nodame and her raccoon (?) suit.

Oh sorry, didn't realize you hadn't finished it yet. I won't say much more about it then till you get through it. I agree, it is nice to see him starting to get the whole boyfriend deal. I thought the whole suit deal from the first season was more goofy than moe; goofy in the "omg, what is she doing..." kind of way.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #47 on: 04/ 25/ 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
Just finished two season of Higurashi. Really really good.

BlindsideDork

• Bearded and mighty
  •   
  • Badges Sauninda
« Reply #48 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 07:33:46 AM »
Just Netflixed the 1st disc of Gurren Lagan or whatever it is called, will see if I like that. I am really picky with my anime though...

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #49 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 03:11:18 PM »
ive finally started to watch City Hunter, which has been sitting on my drive for a few months. i bought one of the movies on the cheap at anime boston a few years ago and downloaded the series.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
« Reply #50 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 07:05:51 PM »
Just Netflixed the 1st disc of Gurren Lagan or whatever it is called, will see if I like that. I am really picky with my anime though...

What kind of shows/ genres do you usually like? I can generally pick a show that's something you may like.

BlindsideDork

• Bearded and mighty
  •   
  • Badges Sauninda
« Reply #51 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 07:38:28 PM »
What kind of shows/ genres do you usually like? I can generally pick a show that's something you may like.

Trigun
Eureka Seven
Gunslinger Girl
Samurai 7
Desert Punk
Burst Angel
Last Exhile
Sengoku Basara (just started it)
Akira (does that count?)

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
« Reply #52 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
Trigun
Eureka Seven
Gunslinger Girl
Samurai 7
Desert Punk
Burst Angel
Last Exhile
Akira (does that count?)

That is amazing. I consider my self to watch a lot of anime (and I mean a lot). So much so that I can't name all of them and would have to sit here and think for quite a while.

I have not watched any of the anime on your list.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #53 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 09:46:54 PM »
Trigun
Eureka Seven
Gunslinger Girl
Samurai 7
Desert Punk
Burst Angel
Last Exhile
Akira (does that count?)

Here's some recommendations  
Claymore
Sword of the Stranger
Vampire Hunter D (old and new)
Black Lagoon

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
« Reply #54 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 11:03:24 PM »
Hmmmmm....Neonie, I'm surprised you've not seen Trigun. It also occurs to me that I watch very few action shows. I had no idea. 0_0;

Anyway...I agree with Calpis and will reiterate Sword of the Stranger (it's a movie) and Black Lagoon.  Seems you lean towards action/adventure.

I wonder if you'd like any of the following:
Gunsmith Cats, Macross Plus, or Le Chevalier D'Eon (the last one is really strange - and apparently all on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/show/lechevalierdeon?pl=729D789ACBD8A7B0

if you don't mind absurd amounts of fan service (T&A) then maybe Ikkitousen or Witchblade (there's a story behind them tits). Buh, there's another show that I always confuse with Ikkitousen but I can't recall the name now. :(

I didn't watch Caanan but I know that's a really action-y show.

Frohike

• nubbin
« Reply #55 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 01:01:47 AM »
Kimi ni Todoke is pretty much awesome. The characters are terrific =D

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
« Reply #56 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 07:46:16 AM »
Hmmmmm....Neonie, I'm surprised you've not seen Trigun. It also occurs to me that I watch very few action shows. I had no idea. 0_0;

That is probably what it is. I don't fancy action much. Gurren Lagann is probably the most action packed thing I've seen.

I like weird stuff like Spice and Wolf

Slice of Life Stuff like K-on and Maid-Sama

Harem stuff like Ai Yori Aoshi and Tenchi

and just plain fucked up shit like Higurashi and Serial Experiments Lain. (I like being made uncomfortable)

In other words, I like girly shit yo.

Also, I like anything, and I mean A-NY-THING that involves loli's. If you tell me it has loli's chances are I have already started looking for it.

Edit: I was thinking about buying the Negima series from Rightstuf because of their bargin bin month thing. Has anyone else seen it?
« Last Edit: 04/ 27/ 2010, 09:08:26 AM by Neonie »

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #57 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 10:53:01 AM »
Edit: I was thinking about buying the Negima series from Rightstuf because of their bargin bin month thing. Has anyone else seen it?

If you read the manga, then no. But if you've never read it then go right ahead. There's 2 different versions of the anime and both are very different styles: 1st one was a brighter show but strayed a bit away  from the manga, 2nd one was a little darker and stuck closer towards the manga. Old was more light hearted and new is a bit more serious.

I watched all of the first version of the anime but didn't like it because I had read the manga. Second version came out at a weird time for me so I only saw one episode.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
« Reply #58 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
If you read the manga, then no. But if you've never read it then go right ahead. There's 2 different versions of the anime and both are very different styles: 1st one was a brighter show but strayed a bit away  from the manga, 2nd one was a little darker and stuck closer towards the manga. Old was more light hearted and new is a bit more serious.

I watched all of the first version of the anime but didn't like it because I had read the manga. Second version came out at a weird time for me so I only saw one episode.

I guess that's why there are two box sets on Rightstuf :P

I've never read the manga but even for  the series. But I have done both before  for other series and it never really affects things. I've watched the anime and read the manga for both Ai Yori Aoshi and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei and I never feel anything is taken away in either or, I seem to have less of a problem with that then most.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
« Reply #59 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
If you want Loli then watch Zettai Karen Children. Very very good show. Also Hayate no Gotoku and Zero no Tsukaima have a decent bit of tsundere loli