Films you've seen recently
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Films you've seen recently  (Read 97199 times)

Sean

•   
  • merry...
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #1480 on: 08/ 12/ 2014, 12:47:22 AM »
Eh, Guardians was the worst film I've seen all year. Plot was rushed, soundtrack was played out and predictable and the characters were irritating at best.

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Classiest of the classy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #1481 on: 08/ 12/ 2014, 03:13:01 AM »
I'm a bit late to the party but I finally got around to watching The Raid 2 and man is that a good movie.

The degree to which they flesh out that world and its characters is insane given the small scope of the first film.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #1482 on: 08/ 16/ 2014, 04:15:53 AM »
On a whim I decided to watch Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch; two Guy Ritchie films

Both amazing. I can see a lot of influences GTA IV took from it, interweaving story lines with incidences of the groups coming together. Also the intro to Snatch reminded me a lot of the intro to Baccano. I'm unsure if this is coincidence or Baccano took some influence from it

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Classiest of the classy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #1483 on: 10/ 13/ 2014, 10:11:43 PM »
I'll give two thumbs up to Gone Girl. David Fincher delivers his usual levels of style and quality.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #1484 on: 10/ 19/ 2014, 04:08:54 PM »
Fury is really tense, really violent and most of all really good. Highly recommended if you like war movies.

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
« Reply #1485 on: 10/ 27/ 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
late as hell, but I watched cap 2: winter soldier, awesome movie, I want an arm like that.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #1486 on: 01/ 25/ 2015, 03:58:22 PM »
American Sniper

Its a great movie. It doesn't just chronicle the events that lead Navy Seal Sniper Chris Kyle to become the most prolific sniper in american history but what when on at home as well and the toll it took on his marriage, his body and his mind. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. Just don't go on a date to see it. It deals with some subject matter that would probably not sit well with some people. 

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #1487 on: 01/ 28/ 2015, 02:32:59 PM »
I wanna see it, but only because what I hear about it is troubling to me. One reason for it is this article: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/08/clint-eastwood-ignores-history-american-sniper/ which I found very interesting and as I said troubling. Can you comment on the way they display those things?

I think I could appreciate the way it displays war and the way one person deals with it, and as I said I haven't seen it. But I find the display of people as "trash", very much so in these times, very troubling. And I'd love to hear your opinion on it. Maybe I got it wrong anyways.

Aside from that I saw John Wick and loved it for it stupidity and simple ways.
The Imitation Game was alright and very, very depressing. Also flat and lazy. If those actors weren't good, that movie would be shit.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
« Reply #1488 on: 01/ 29/ 2015, 01:20:04 AM »
I wanna see it, but only because what I hear about it is troubling to me. One reason for it is this article: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/08/clint-eastwood-ignores-history-american-sniper/ which I found very interesting and as I said troubling. Can you comment on the way they display those things?

I think I could appreciate the way it displays war and the way one person deals with it, and as I said I haven't seen it. But I find the display of people as "trash", very much so in these times, very troubling. And I'd love to hear your opinion on it. Maybe I got it wrong anyways.

As someone who has seen the movie and read the book I think I can say that he genuinely thought of those people as "Savages."

Without spoiling too much of the film or book you can kinda see where he is coming from. Every interaction he has with an Iraqi they have lied to him about something. He can't trust them and coupled with some of the acts he has seen them perpetrate on each other and his fellow brothers in arms its obvious why he feels this way.

As for the film having a limited view, of coarse it does. Chris enlisted in the navy in 1999 and became a SEAL later that year. Something that is drilled into a soldier from the start of there military career is you follow orders without question. He is told to kill so he kills. "Theirs not to reason why but to do and die" - (Charge of the light Brigade). The story is told from his perspective and Mr. Eastwood chose to keep the movie as faithful to his book as possible and thats what he did. We know what he knows so for the author to say that they should have informed the audience of the greater conflict at hand is missing the point. We know what he knows and thats all.

Sorry if that got a little ranty. I am in no way disparaging the author or director. They both did great jobs in there respective fields.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #1489 on: 01/ 29/ 2015, 03:37:54 AM »
Not ranty to me. What I am having trouble with is the ease this is being taken as a way to think about Iraqis. I can see why Kyle got to thinking that way. It makes sense. I just don't like other people on the twitters being like "I wanna kill some savages too!" (http://imgur.com/fFpWstb).

I don't wanna discourage the portrayal of a very interesting person, but I think it would be important to keep some perspective in translating his actions into nowadays life. And I am not sure how director and actors could have done that.

But thank you for weighing in there. I appreciate it!

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #1490 on: 01/ 29/ 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
i dont think telling the story about how a mans experience in war can fuck him up mentally is inherently wrong but with the levels of islamophobia already so high in the west, i think that it was a little irresponsible to release this movie that glorifies the killing of muslim people.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
« Reply #1491 on: 01/ 30/ 2015, 01:43:51 AM »
i dont think telling the story about how a mans experience in war can fuck him up mentally is inherently wrong but with the levels of islamophobia already so high in the west, i think that it was a little irresponsible to release this movie that glorifies the killing of muslim people.
Those people in those twitter posts already hated Muslims before they went and saw the movie.

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
« Reply #1492 on: 05/ 30/ 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
Not exactly a controversial opinion, but Mad Max was super cool.

The world was filled with all sorts of cool little details. Incredibly engrossing to watch.

Manic Maverick

• Fu Boy
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #1493 on: 11/ 19/ 2016, 01:04:47 AM »
Haven't been watching many movies lately. I need to get back to it. However, stuff I've seen relatively recently:

Crimson Peak: Great movie. It wasn't the scariest ever, but the ghosts still scared the shit out of me during their rare appearances. Del Toro really knows how to steer away from the usual ghost types.

It Follows: Saw this sometime last year but whatever. By far the scariest movie I've ever seen. Possibly my favourite horror movie, next to Jacob's Ladder. Something about that fever dream atmosphere, with the constant dread and fear that "Something is chasing them, right now" was unnerving as hell. Pure, unbridled dread. The ending was great as well--couldn't have gone any other way. Also, that soundtrack. Definitely my most favourite movie soundtrack as of now, hands down.

"Mav, did you watch any of those superhe--"

I mean, I did watch My Hero Academia but that's an anime.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #1494 on: 11/ 19/ 2016, 03:13:28 AM »
Been trying to get more into movies starting with:

Alien: Waay tooooo slow for me to watch on Halloween. Got about half way through before I had to switch it off. Just around the time they actually start hunting the alien so I think I was getting to the good part.

Rocky 1-6: Since I was expecting to take a trip to Philly, all the Rocky movies had to be done beforehand. Great series. I did notice a pattern where I generally hated the first half of the Rocky films i.e. pre-fight then from the montage afterwards is just awesome.

On the plane there were some select features I saw:
Ghostbusters (2016) also known as Answer the Call: The controversial one because I kinda liked it. I like Kirsten Wiig but she plays a bland character in this film. Katie McKinnon stole the show, and as a person that generally doesn't know her schtick, I loved her!

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates: Pretty bad film. Stopped half way through. It was only on my radar due to my crushes on Anna Kendrick and Aubrey Plaza but that wasn't enough to completely sit through this jock comedy.

Monsters U: Big fan of Monsters Inc. in general. Great film for those that don't initially succeed in life showing that time is the only factor in reaching where you want to be.

Police Academy: It was good enough for an insomnia Makster bound to go back home

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #1495 on: 11/ 19/ 2016, 11:01:53 PM »

"did you watch any of those superhe--"

Yes, all of them, except the Spider-Man ones. Those are awful. Captain America: Winter Soldier was meh.

Recent-ish movie Highlights:

Dr. Strange - please understand I don't give a single shit about this comic character and know nearly nothing of his comic history. That being said, this movie was fucking awesome and if you are able, you should see it in 3-D. Regarding the white washing of Tilda Swinton's casting as The Ancient One - I gotta agree. AC could have been any race or gender. But apparently, if they'd cast The Ancient One as he is in the books, Tibetan, then they'd lose the Chinese film market. https://www.yahoo.com/movies/marvel-denies-whitewashing-doctor-strange-to-144740351.html

Ghostbusters 2016 - Loved it. Loved Kate McKinnon most, I have no attachment to the old movies, and we bought the Lego Dimensions set for this movie too.

Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie - LOVED IT. I think the atmosphere was part of what made it great. It was a lot of people who'd seen the series in the 90s, and a TON of gay dudes. Nearly everyone in the theater bought alcohol and a mild smell of booze floated in the air. The dude next to me laughed so hard I missed lines in the movie. The audience was absolutely jovial, the movie made a lot of callback to the show, and also had a cameo by Dame Edna. Fucking rad.

Kubo and the Two Strings - if you have any interest in animation at all, just watch it. It's all stop motion and super beautiful, magical, has a wonderful life lesson and made me cry. A LOT.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A</a>

Honorable mention: Storks

Kid's movie with a lot of nods for grownups, actually really funny. (yes, tropey as fuck)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXEZFd0RT5Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXEZFd0RT5Y</a>

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #1496 on: 11/ 20/ 2016, 12:38:56 AM »
Agreed on Doctor Strange. i cant remember another movie that justifies its 3D as much as Doctor Strange.

In regards to the new Ghostbusters, I wish it made enough money to warrant a sequel. I think its a fine movie, but they spent way too much time "getting the band together". The team was just finding its groove by the end of the movie so I feel like a Ghostbusters 2 could have ended up being a lot better.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #1497 on: 11/ 20/ 2016, 01:53:16 AM »
Oh I did see Dr Strange too but in 2D.

I kinda knew about the character from the old Spiderman cartoon when he made a story arc appearance so I kinda knew about the characters too.
They white washed The Ancient One but they also Baron Mordo is played by a Nigerian fella which made me a bit confused. I was expecting a creepy white dude for Mordo as I knew he was a main Dr Strange baddie so I was waiting for the heel turn all movie.

Lastly, did Dr Strange seriously just defeat Dormammu by annoying him!? You would think a cosmic entity would have had more patience especially when it came to his end game

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #1498 on: 03/ 25/ 2017, 02:10:43 PM »
Catching up on a bunch of films when I had no internet at my flat:

American Gangster: Amazing

Die Hard: Why haven't I seen this before now!!!

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: Horrible. Main character is really annoying turning the film into onomatopoeia the movie. At least Bruce Campbell is in it.

Shawshank Redemption: Worthy of all it's praise

X-Men 3: Alright. More Ellen Page please

X-Men First Class: Better. Made me kinda like J Lawrence

X-Men Days of Future Past: Best.

I'm thinking Logan is the reason I'm on a massive X-Men kick at the moment

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #1499 on: 03/ 26/ 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

X-Men Days of Future Past: Best.

I'm thinking Logan is the reason I'm on a massive X-Men kick at the moment

Any plans on watching X-Men Apocalypse? It seems I'm the only human on the planet to enjoy it.

We have implemented movie night again at the Goldfish home/tank. Sharp and I alternate picking movies.

So far we've seen:
Sing Street - amazing if you love the 80s aesthetic.
Magnificent 7 (remake)- that sure was a Western-ass western. Compelling and ultra violent
Jungle Book (remake) - unsure how a movie with that much magic in the story can come out so dull. It was fine, I'd be mad if we paid movie theater prices.

This week will be Noises Off! A not very well known movie of a play going horribly wrong. It's so amazing.