Films you've seen recently
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Films you've seen recently  (Read 100191 times)

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #1500 on: 03/ 26/ 2017, 11:39:48 PM »
im at the movies constantly. i try to watch at least one movie a week, be it in the theatre or not.

Kong: Skull Island really impressed me. i had super low expectations for that and its a real fun monster movie. the after credits stinger is easily the best part. im excited about what is to come.

John Wick Chapter 2
was a lot of fun, and had some absolutely stellar action sequences, but overall was probably a weaker film than the first one.

Logan was pretty decent. i dont think it really measures up to the movies that have clearly inspired it (Children of Men for example) but its definitely my favorite X-Men movie, and it's success (along with that of Deadpool) will hopefully show people like Disney and WB that theres an appetite for less traditional superhero stories in the movies.

Get Out is one of the best movies ive seen in years. its an extremely tight thriller on top of being sharp and prescient satire. the less you know about it going in the better, but you really have to see it. this film or its director Jordan Peele hopefully find recognition when oscar season rolls around again.

The Handmaiden is tied with The Wailing as my favorite film of last year. Park Chan-Wook is one of my favorite directors and this movie is easily one of his best. like Get Out, the less you know going in the better.

The Wailing is 2016s best horror film. Na Hong-Jin's ghost story is about a dumpy cop in a small village plagued my a recent rash of mysterious deaths. it can be at times hilarious and deeply unsettling, often moving between the two with suprising ease. this film is riveting. i was constantly on edge for the entire (considerable) running time. i cannot possibly recommend this highly enough. please, please see this.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #1501 on: 04/ 15/ 2017, 03:23:03 PM »
Any plans on watching X-Men Apocalypse? It seems I'm the only human on the planet to enjoy it.

I don't think I liked anything about that movie, except the time when Apocalypse puts the dudes into the sand.

Logan was raaaad. As was John Wick 2.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #1502 on: 04/ 16/ 2017, 04:52:49 AM »
I don't think I liked anything about that movie, except the time when Apocalypse puts the dudes into the sand.

Logan was raaaad. As was John Wick 2.

I thought the best parts of the newer X-Men movies were the Quicksilver scenes. I also liked the references to his Magneto connection.

So films I've seen recently to catch up on a decade of missed flicks:

Tropic Thunder: Pretty good film. Everyone works off one another and Tom Cruise just steals the show even though I spent most of the film up until the credits unknowing it was him.

21: Good heist film with a forced love story where no eventually leading to yes

Braidsmaids: Cementing my love for Kirsten Wiig after it wavered on Ghostbusters: Answer the Call. I wished they spent more time developing the other braidsmaids since all of them kinda had issues that didn't get resolved in a full character arc. Still an amazingly funny film for a chick flick.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Apart from Potato internet causing it to constantly buffer it was a good film. Classic Marvel with quippy dialogue and fast paced action. Still got three Captain Americas, and two Thors to catch up on before I'm up to date with the MCU.
Do I need to see any of the Hulk films as a completionist?

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #1503 on: 04/ 17/ 2017, 05:12:24 AM »
The Hulk films aren't part of the MCU right now, I think. All I have heard are mediocre things. I liked the Captain movies a lot though. The second one being my personal favorite.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #1504 on: 04/ 17/ 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
the Edward Norton Hulk movie has a post-credits scene that ties it into the MCU actually.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #1505 on: 04/ 20/ 2017, 05:22:08 AM »
Saw the handmaiden. Completely different to how its presented in the trailers but it was a lot of fun.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #1506 on: 05/ 06/ 2017, 09:30:22 AM »
Anyone else see Guardian's volume 2?

Watched the first about a month ago living up to the hype that everyone had built for it in the aftermath.
Volume 2 had a lot more slower parts but I still liked the movie as a whole.

The friends I was with when seeing it, wanted to see Peter Quill and Gamora finally get together in this film. I think it'll totally mess up the platonic relationship the whole Guardians had built up with each other like a family. Also Gamora's totally for Rocket anyways...

Sean

•   
  • foooooooooooooooooooooooomin
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #1507 on: 05/ 06/ 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
It's cool that you like them, but man, I can't think of a film I hate more than Guardians of the Galaxy, was so bored I seriously wanted to leave the theatre during the last fight in space. Awful terrible film.
I'm curious to see if I'd like the 2nd though so I'll probably go see it.

Get Out was cool.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
« Reply #1508 on: 05/ 07/ 2017, 12:47:57 AM »
i definitely dont like it as much as moat people, but i wouldnt call it terrible. i do think it has a really weak ending. i hope vol. 2 improves on that.

Sean

•   
  • foooooooooooooooooooooooomin
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #1509 on: 10/ 12/ 2017, 06:31:25 AM »
Oooh that's a really cool movie.