Comics
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Comics  (Read 73164 times)

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 12:26:53 AM »
So. Pictures and word bubbles. I love them. I always have and I suspect I always will.

Back in high school I somehow got on the bandwagon right before X-Men re-launched at #1 (the Claremont/Lee one now called 'Mutant Genesis') and I've been into comics since then, with the notable exception of dropping out completely when Age of Apocalypse started. Came back after college.

There's plenty of reality in my reality now and I love the thought of something fantastic like superpowers and magical beings in this (mostly mundane) world. It's funny that I started this thread mainly for the fact that 2/3rds of my pull list just got the boot due to financial reasons. Still I hang on dearly to the X-Men and all 4 billion of their books.  My love for the character Rogue is a hair on the OCD side. Wanna make something of it? 'Course ya don't.

I also love manga, but I don't know if that should be a separate thread. Let's see how this all pans out, if at all.

SO TALK TO ME PEOPLE! Do you love comics? Yes? Why? What are you reading? Who is your favorite character, writer, artist, series, universe, etc?? Look I'll even get it started -

Yes I do, I told you why.
Rogue
Carey + Claremont + Wells.
Nicola Scott, The Dodsons, Adam Hughes, Steven Sanchez
X-Men series and  Universe
bonus: I can't stand Greg Land and I think most of the Hulk books are AWFUL.

(crap, that was longer than I wanted it to be ~_~;;;;)

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Re: Comics
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 12:33:25 AM »
 I am very specific when it comes to my comic tastes. I love the Infinity Gauntlet & Infinity Watch series'. Also, the Marvel 2099 series. Other than that I have a few Punisher Vietnam, Capitan America, Silver Surfer, and other things.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 02:14:52 AM »
ive never dived into the superhero books that much, ive dabbled in Civil War and Runaways. i mostly am a graphic novel sort of person. im a stupid fanboy for anything written by Brian Wood.

BlackHoleBomb

• nubbin
  • Self-assured classy gentleman with a god complex.
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 08:39:19 AM »
As everyone else in the world I loved watchmen.

Also I read the first couple of volumes of the walking dead. Those were good.

OH! And I read all of kick ass recently... darker then I thought it'd be.

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #4 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 12:20:43 PM »

Rogue
Carey + Claremont + Wells.
Nicola Scott, The Dodsons, Adam Hughes, Steven Sanchez
X-Men series and  Universe
bonus: I can't stand Greg Land and I think most of the Hulk books are AWFUL.

Fuck yes those guys.
Fuck yes X-men, Grant Morrison's New was probably my favourite series, but I haven't read Whedon's Astonishing.

FUCKING YES GREG LAND IS AN ASS. And Hulk has just gotten to the point where you see it on a shelf, maybe flick though it, but ultimately laugh and say "oh, you!".

Brandon Graham's King City is probably one of my favourite comics right now. Graham is part of the indie new-wave of world-influenced artists. This motherfucker loves nothing more than comics, and it really shows.

Also, I think I mentioned RASL in the science thread, it's a wonderful blend of noir atmosphere, Tesla, and inter-dimensional travel/art thievery.

It's by Jeff Smith, the dude who did Bone.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #5 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
SO TALK TO ME PEOPLE! Do you love comics? Yes? Why? What are you reading? Who is your favorite character, writer, artist, series, universe, etc??

Why? Because I love comics i dunno maybe it is a fantasy thing or whatever but it is really hard for me to define why I love comics. The art is usually what draws me in but it is usually the story that I will end up loving overall.

Fave Character - Too many to name but if i had to pick one Mainstream superhero would be - Batman. Undergroundish would have to be Rick Grimes from the Walking Dead.

Writer - Robert Kirkman (Invincible, The Walking Dead), Brian Wood (Demo, DMZ, Northlanders), Brian K. Vaughan (Runaways, Y The Last Man), Jeph Loeb (Long Halloween, Dark Victory), Luna Brothers (ultra, the sword, girls), plus many many more.

Artist - Alex Maleev (Daredevil), J.H. Williams III (Batwoman/Detective Comics) this guy is amazing not only his art but his take on panels are pretty ingenious, Mike Allred (x-statix, fables single issue), Frank Quitely (All Star Superman, New X-Men), Ben Templesmith, Charlie Adlard/Tony Moore (Walking Dead).

Fave Series - Overall it is def The Walking Dead, this book single-handly has cost me so much money because it is the series that got me back into comic books. I remember not really wanting to pick it up (even though i <3 zombies) simply because it was in black and white (my mindset was "if im paying that much for a book i want color") but one day i was browsing B&N and the first HC book was there and on a whim i picked it up and the rest is history.

Other series (besides the ones ive written next to the writers and artists names).

Chew - Fresh concept, great art
Daytripper - Single issues kinda sad 10 issue series.
Universal War One - crazy sci-fi time warping drama/action with an insane twist. it is def on my top ten of short series list.
Sweet Tooth - virus is killing off normal humans only those with weird animal/human hybrids are surviving. dunno where it is going but im liking it so far.
Back to Brooklyn - short series about revenge, i couldn't put it down the moment i started reading. very very engaging.

I'm (i think i mentioned this in my intro) a huge fan of horror few picks
Tag (Boom Studios i believe)
Veil (IDW)
The Secret

i post some more rec later.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #6 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 01:08:43 PM »
Hahaha, I read Avalon's post wrong and I thought he said 'fuck those guys' instead of 'fuck yes, those guys' and thought - "Wow, Avalon's a little aggro today." OH HO HO, reading is fundamental.

So for those that are unfamiliar with Nicola Scott, her Wonder Woman is one of the best things I've seen. Mainly because she actually looks Greek and/or ethnic.

I also forgot to mention that EVERYONE should give Secret Six a read. (even you, Halidar ^_^) It's a wonderful book that has a very dark side to it. Gail Simone writes it and she's amazing too. I know this is a pretty typical splash image but you get a n idea of the team. (which has changed by 2 members since this pic)

DougCL - regarding trades, you're better off. Sometimes books will have long gaps *cough*Runaways*cough* or extra things added to the trade for a lower cost than the individual issues collected. Udon does this all the time with their Street Fighter books. So yes, your penchant for trades is better for your wallet in the long run.

Avalon I'll see if I can get my (broke ass) paws on some King City. Free comic book day is coming up (MAY 1) so I'll see if there are some back issue sales.

GO GET FREE BOOKS
http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

Avalon

•   
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #7 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 01:28:52 PM »
Hahaha, I read Avalon's post wrong and I thought he said 'fuck those guys' instead of 'fuck yes, those guys' and thought - "Wow, Avalon's a little aggro today." OH HO HO, reading is fundamental.

So for those that are unfamiliar with Nicola Scott, her Wonder Woman is one of the best things I've seen. Mainly because she actually looks Greek and/or ethnic.

awesome

I also forgot to mention that EVERYONE should give Secret Six a read. (even you, Halidar ^_^) It's a wonderful book that has a very dark side to it. Gail Simone writes it and she's amazing too. I know this is a pretty typical splash image but you get a n idea of the team. (which has changed by 2 members since this pic)

awesome

DougCL - regarding trades, you're better off. Sometimes books will have long gaps *cough*Runaways*cough* or extra things added to the trade for a lower cost than the individual issues collected. Udon does this all the time with their Street Fighter books. So yes, your penchant for trades is better for your wallet in the long run.

Avalon I'll see if I can get my (broke ass) paws on some King City. Free comic book day is coming up (MAY 1) so I'll see if there are some back issue sales.

GO GET FREE BOOKS
http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

Detective comics is one of the few DC titles I still read, and I saw some of Nicola Scott's art in DC nation a few months back. My reaction was of course "wow". I missed FCBD last year, real disappointed.

I'm hoping Corey Lewis puts something out this year, his stuff is made for FCBD. Also my local independent comic shop has an in with Bryan Lee O'Malley of Scott Pilgrim fame, if he puts anything out, I'll be able to get my hands on it.

That said, FREE MOUSEGUARD.

And I need to get on Secret Six once I'm less broke.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #8 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 01:57:22 PM »
I have like, 2-3 thousand Spider-Man comics boxed away in my closet that haven't seen air since my recent move.  As a kid I could recount every page of every issue.  And looking back at it now, the big event really was the clone saga for most of my childhood, which is a shame (or is it?  I don't know anymore...)

I have to say I miss Mike Weiringo, and I discovered him through Sensational Spider-Man.  I didn't mind the writer (Todd Dezago?), but I can see why his "Dude!" style got on people's nerves.  I liked the professional and light-hearted nature of Weiringo's stuff, and Sensational was one of the better Spider books before yet another pointless reboot.  He's a big influence to me, and I like the way his stuff's almost storyboarded instead of a sequence of splash pages.

Now, have a hilarious Spider-Man parody comic by Peter Bagge.

Avalon

•   
« Reply #9 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 02:10:50 PM »
I have like, 2-3 thousand Spider-Man comics boxed away in my closet that haven't seen air since my recent move.  As a kid I could recount every page of every issue.  And looking back at it now, the big event really was the clone saga for most of my childhood, which is a shame (or is it?  I don't know anymore...)

I have to say I miss Mike Weiringo, and I discovered him through Sensational Spider-Man.  I didn't mind the writer (Todd Dezago?), but I can see why his "Dude!" style got on people's nerves.  I liked the professional and light-hearted nature of Weiringo's stuff.  He's a big influence to me, and I like the way his stuff's almost storyboarded instead of a sequence of splash pages.

Yeah Wieringo was one of the greatest artists working in mainstream comics. The saddest thing, though is his deviant art.

http://wieringo.deviantart.com/

I dare you to look at it and not feel anything.

If the dude was still working, that'd be one more book I'd be getting every month,

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
« Reply #10 on: 04/ 26/ 2010, 11:23:50 PM »

I would say yes, but then One More Day happened. It's pretty bad when the devil annuls your marriage. Joe Q's excuse was that no one could relate to Peter as a married man.  Out of all the crazy shit Spidey does, he picks THAT as the one reason to upend Spiderman's universe? (and apparently undo parts of Civil War)

Would like to echo the love for JH Williams. Unfortunately, Detective Comics was one of the ones on the list that got cut. Mainly because that main arc with Batwoman had just ended and I figured now was a good a time as ever to bail out (at the end of an arc) Anyway, for those that don't know, this is some of his work.

I just saw some new art by Sana Takeda http://www.sanatakeda.or.tv/mt/ on the X-Men Forever annual. It's really stunning. Too bad they wasted  her on the Ms Marvel book.  (bleargh @ Carol Danvers)

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #11 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
Bored so i took a pic of my graphic novels, as you probably can see i <3 a lot of horror and batman

Gyrael

• nubbin
  • Badges Spotted Memebon
« Reply #12 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 11:42:31 AM »
How about Scott Pilgrim? Oh man, I fucking love Scott Pilgrim.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #13 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
oh yeah, im also reading scott pilgrim.

Avalon

•   
« Reply #14 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
Bored so i took a pic of my graphic novels, as you probably can see i <3 a lot of horror and batman

WHAT

Jesus dude you own everything I wish I could own. Also, I hear the art in those Aliens comics is pretty sweet.

Also, Scott Pilgrim is a good window into indie comics.

Also this shit is maaaaaaad:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk_lgoF8aAo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk_lgoF8aAo</a>

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #15 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 12:39:29 PM »
All I can say to that is that I am really jealous. Although I own a lot of mangas myself. I am not sayin that they are like comics or are they?

Avalon

•   
« Reply #16 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
All I can say to that is that I am really jealous. Although I own a lot of mangas myself. I am not sayin that they are like comics or are they?

Comics are comix, dude. We can discuss mangas, right?

In which case 20th Century Boys.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #17 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
I wish ive gotten into more manga all ive read are some of Blood Last Vampire, Azumanga (<3), Battle Angel

if anyone had any good rec on manga horror or just twisted manga im all ears or is it eyes :)

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #18 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:07:54 PM »
I don't know if twisted, but 20th Century Boys would be one really great manga. Pluto, by the same artist and Monster are great as well. Monster actually is really twisted!

Avalon

•   
« Reply #19 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:20:41 PM »
I don't know if twisted, but 20th Century Boys would be one really great manga. Pluto, by the same artist and Monster are great as well. Monster actually is really twisted!

I love Pluto. The first volume has this great, slightly surreal scene where a guy has to tell a robot that her husband has died: