Comics
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Comics  (Read 69480 times)

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Re: Comics
« Reply #20 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
There is another scene when one of the little kids goes up to that sun robot and tells him not to die. And knowing the story from Tezuka Osamu's Astro Boy it almost made me cry. First time a manga did that.

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #21 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
There is another scene when one of the little kids goes up to that sun robot and tells him not to die. And knowing the story from Tezuka Osamu's Astro Boy it almost made me cry. First time a manga did that.

Tezuka is way up there with Kirby, Eisner and Moebius for me, I need to read the original story before I finish Pluto.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #22 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
I don't know if twisted, but 20th Century Boys would be one really great manga. Pluto, by the same artist and Monster are great as well. Monster actually is really twisted!

I just read some of the synopsis of 20th Century Boys and i got excited. I love stories that span great amounts of time. That was a big reason why i liked Universal War One.

Read a bit up on Monster sounds good too, def hope my comic book store will have these.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #23 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:45:38 PM »
You definitely wont make any mitakes with that!!

Tezuka is way up there with Kirby, Eisner and Moebius for me, I need to read the original story before I finish Pluto.

Any recommendations fro those? I have never heard of them, I am afraid I missed something great!

Avalon

•   
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #24 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
You definitely wont make any mitakes with that!!

Any recommendations fro those? I have never heard of them, I am afraid I missed something great!

Absolutlely, Kirby was a pioneer of american comics, he helped create the X-men, the Fantastic Four, The Avengers etc. I'd recommend The Eternals and his Fourth World series, though I still get some joy out of reading those old 60s X-men issues.
I've been re-reading Eisner's A Contract With God, and it's still brilliant, long, but brilliant.
And as for Moebius I'd say Arzach, but if you can find his Silver Surfer stuff then you've hit a small jackpot. These are just starting points, mind.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #25 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 02:58:49 PM »
Thanks a bunch. I will look if I can find them somewhere.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #26 on: 04/ 27/ 2010, 05:52:43 PM »
Marvel is making a lot of "essential" collections lately so you may want to look there. Man, original Savage She Hulk is so bad. I still love it tho. :D

Also to whoever said 'comics are comics' - to you, I offer a fist bump. I completely agree. I'll go off on a manga tangent later but for right now let me just say that my two favorite manga are D Gray Man and Sgt Frog. It would do anyone good to read them (and they're very different genres too) - if you don't mind 'chick' manga, Tramps Like Us and Mars are *amazing*

Avalon

•   
« Reply #27 on: 04/ 28/ 2010, 10:09:04 AM »
Marvel is making a lot of "essential" collections lately so you may want to look there. Man, original Savage She Hulk is so bad. I still love it tho. :D

Also to whoever said 'comics are comics' - to you, I offer a fist bump. I completely agree. I'll go off on a manga tangent later but for right now let me just say that my two favorite manga are D Gray Man and Sgt Frog. It would do anyone good to read them (and they're very different genres too) - if you don't mind 'chick' manga, Tramps Like Us and Mars are *amazing*

I used to have an old Essentials of Uncanny X-men, idk what's happened to it, which is sad because I fucking loved that shit. I always remember as a kid reading the first X-men/Avengers team-up.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #28 on: 04/ 28/ 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
Alright now I really have to go to that comic store...

:D
Thanks!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #29 on: 04/ 30/ 2010, 04:22:39 PM »
FREE COMIC BOOK DAY TOMORROW! GO GO GO~

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Comics
« Reply #30 on: 04/ 30/ 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
What is that supposed to mean?

Avalon

•   
Comics
« Reply #31 on: 04/ 30/ 2010, 05:44:16 PM »
What is that supposed to mean?

FREE COMIX what else! I'm going to try and go to all the places I know.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
Comics
« Reply #32 on: 05/ 01/ 2010, 02:27:14 AM »
Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE* to anyone who comes into their stores. *Check with your local shop for their participation and rules.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Comics
« Reply #33 on: 05/ 01/ 2010, 05:01:22 AM »
Too bad that there wont be any shops open today over here. First we don't have such an awesome day, and second today is the official day for left people and right people to beat up each other, right around the corner from where I live! Yay! The police helicopters are flying around since two or three hours now...

Avalon

•   
Comics
« Reply #34 on: 05/ 01/ 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

1. Pluto volume 2 - £8
2. Sgt. Fury & his Howling Commandos one-shot - cheap as free
3. Green Hornet FCBD edition - cheap as free
4. Paper Science - english newspaper-style comix book - cheap as free
5. GL corps 47 - £2
6. Spiderman Noir - cheap as free
7. Liberty Comix - cheap as free
8. Beast - £11

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Comics
« Reply #35 on: 05/ 01/ 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
Nice!!!

EffingDrYang

•   
  • Koromaru
  • Badges Spotted Memebon Rockstar
Comics
« Reply #36 on: 05/ 02/ 2010, 11:18:32 AM »
The only American comic/graphic novel I've ever read is The Watchmen.... is that weird?

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Comics
« Reply #37 on: 05/ 02/ 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
I think they're doing this at my library.  Is that possible? D:

Avalon

•   
Comics
« Reply #38 on: 05/ 02/ 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
The only American comic/graphic novel I've ever read is The Watchmen.... is that weird?

Yeah kinda, seeing as Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superhero genre, and I don't think you can really appreciate what it's doing if you're not very familiar with the genre.

It's a bit like if you saw a parody of something without having seen the original. You might find it a bit funny but you wont be able to appreciate all the jokes, and you may not even recognise some of them as jokes.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
Comics
« Reply #39 on: 05/ 02/ 2010, 04:11:17 PM »
Great haul Avalon. :)
I'll take pics of mine in a bit. I picked up the Fables tpb and Scott Pilgrim (both vol 1) because they were on for 50% off.

I got three books in my regular pull box - X Force, Wonder Woman and X-Men Forever

In X-Force they fucking killed Nightcrawler That's horse shit, you can keep a character in the background if you don't know what to do with them. At least the character died in a heroic way. Ariel died in the last issue of Legacy. I don't know why they're killing all these mutants off. There are so few left.   Also I feel like the X books are treating telepaths more like walky-talkies rather than people with powers so useful they're pretty much broken. (Phoenix anyone?)

Wonder Woman was okay. It's really clear that Gail Simone is wrapping up her run on that series.

X-Men Forever was more of a wall of text than usual and that's really saying something. 0_o;;;;