Comics
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Comics  (Read 73163 times)

EffingDrYang

•   
  • Koromaru
  • Badges Spotted Memebon Rockstar
Comics
« Reply #40 on: 05/ 02/ 2010, 04:14:27 PM »
Yeah kinda, seeing as Watchmen is a deconstruction of the superhero genre, and I don't think you can really appreciate what it's doing if you're not very familiar with the genre.

It's a bit like if you saw a parody of something without having seen the original. You might find it a bit funny but you wont be able to appreciate all the jokes, and you may not even recognise some of them as jokes.
That might be why I didn't think it was that great... except for the art.
And the side comic thing about the guy that makes a raft (out of dead people) that is actually a metaphor for what is happening in the story.

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #41 on: 05/ 02/ 2010, 05:38:02 PM »
Great haul Avalon. :)
I'll take pics of mine in a bit. I picked up the Fables tpb and Scott Pilgrim (both vol 1) because they were on for 50% off.

I got three books in my regular pull box - X Force, Wonder Woman and X-Men Forever

In X-Force they fucking killed Nightcrawler That's horse shit, you can keep a character in the background if you don't know what to do with them. At least the character died in a heroic way. Ariel died in the last issue of Legacy. I don't know why they're killing all these mutants off. There are so few left.   Also I feel like the X books are treating telepaths more like walky-talkies rather than people with powers so useful they're pretty much broken. (Phoenix anyone?)

Wonder Woman was okay. It's really clear that Gail Simone is wrapping up her run on that series.

X-Men Forever was more of a wall of text than usual and that's really saying something. 0_o;;;;

Part of me says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and part of me says "It's Marvel, they'll be back in a year".

Both parts are disappointed.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #42 on: 05/ 02/ 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
Part of me says "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and part of me says "It's Marvel, they'll be back in a year".

Both parts are disappointed.

About the first one? You know he's Rogue's brother via adoption so I had major bummers over it for that reason alone. But yeah, they'll probably be back but it was a shit thing to do. Hope isn't worth it. She can't be. Also I'm scared because they left Banshee dead.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Comics
« Reply #43 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
sadly i was in the studio all weekend and missed free comic book day :( i hope everyone got some sweet stuff.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #44 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 12:41:57 AM »
sadly i was in the studio all weekend and missed free comic book day :( i hope everyone got some sweet stuff.

I got a bigger stack than I should have but I have no shame because I;m a regular at the shop ^___^

Jay Hitcher

• nubbin
  • JOHN DO THE WINDY THING
Comics
« Reply #45 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 08:42:09 AM »
Finished Will Eisner's A Contract With God Trilogy a few days ago. Really awesome.

Scott Pilgrim is also pretty stellar. Read it a few weeks ago.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
Comics
« Reply #46 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 11:52:59 AM »
Scott Pilgrim is also pretty stellar. Read it a few weeks ago.

I just read the first one. I was sold when he made a reference to Trapnest (one of the bands in Nana)

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Comics
« Reply #47 on: 05/ 08/ 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
just read issue 71 of walking dead and the last page made my jaw drop and want to punch robert kirkman in the face if this is going to be the direction he is taking it.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Comics
« Reply #48 on: 05/ 10/ 2010, 11:08:43 PM »
about to read some crossed before i go to bed nothing like crazy apocalypse virus infected people before you hit the snooze.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
Comics
« Reply #49 on: 05/ 11/ 2010, 12:10:03 AM »
I have the first volume of Unwritten hanging around waiting to be read.

Blew through this week's books pretty fast. Hellbound was better than expected. Oddly enough I agree with this reviewer but I actually liked it whereas he didn't. :P
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=2212

The big reveal at the end was N'astirh which actually makes a lot of sense because he was/is infected by the Techno Organic virus, which caused a major ruckus during Necrosha.  He also has history with Illyana.

I heart Mike Carey.

edit: Just going to tell you all that you should read Unwritten as soon as possible. It's amazing.
« Last Edit: 05/ 11/ 2010, 07:43:36 PM by electric_goldfish »

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Comics
« Reply #50 on: 05/ 13/ 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
I finished Crossed a couple of days ago and that is the most brutal, unforgiving, gory comic Ive ever read. It is just nonstop tense scene after gory horror scene. If you're into anything as far as horror goes and don't mind gore, then pick this up now.

Also finished the latest issue of Hack/Slash - not too bad tied up the current storyline nicely, anxious to see what they have when this book is moved to Image.

The Light (short series) - 1st issue went by way to quick it was like a page or two of backstory then BOOM then end 1st issue.

rivalscho0ls

• nubbin
  • COAST2COAST
  • Badges Sauninda Magfest 9
Comics
« Reply #51 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
Mainstream stuff:  Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man.  I love these books, even when they're terrible.
Also really into X-Men, though I can't keep up with it these days.  I only buy TPBs, and trying to figure out who's in what and when things happened in what order can be an ordeal.  And I haven't had the money to buy them, so there's that.

Watchmen.  Of course.

Y: The Last Man is definitely a favorite.  Walking Dead, though I've only read the first few volumes.  Sin City I mostly enjoyed.  My iPad is helping out a lot, making me spend all my money on things like Kick-Ass and The Runaways, which were awesome. 

I'll post pictures of my collection sometime later, it's mostly Marvel stuff.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
Comics
« Reply #52 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 01:18:09 PM »
Also really into X-Men, though I can't keep up with it these days.  I only buy TPBs, and trying to figure out who's in what and when things happened in what order can be an ordeal.  And I haven't had the money to buy them, so there's that.

Their numbering system for crossovers has greatly improved with Second Coming. However, all the books are one book now so yeah, not a good time to jump back in if you can't float 4 Xbooks at once (and I definitely know that feeling)

Also Runaways was awesome until Joss Whedon. Then it died. He gives me the rage.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Comics
« Reply #53 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 01:20:30 PM »
^ yea about the Runaways i still buy it but it has been nowhere good as it was for the first two hardcover big editions.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #54 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 01:27:30 PM »
 Doesn't look like Cataract has been in here so it is safe to say, I sent him a copy of the Street Fighter anniversary comic as well as 2 Power Rangers comics(for the lulz).

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Comics
« Reply #55 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 01:30:42 PM »
i got to read that one just for the simple knowledge of how did that cowboy get so big????

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #56 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 02:23:04 PM »
 Every power ranger enemy grows to super size. Why else would they need the mega zord? lol

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Comics
« Reply #57 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 02:31:22 PM »
Every power ranger enemy grows to super size. Why else would they need the mega zord? lol

im just not use to them looking like humans haha.

rivalscho0ls

• nubbin
  • COAST2COAST
  • Badges Sauninda Magfest 9
Comics
« Reply #58 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 05:16:49 PM »
This here is my collection.  Only missing New Avengers Vol 1-11, I think.  They're out on loan.  I hope.  Alphabetical/Chronological based on series, unless it's Spider-Man, which I just grouped all together.  Except for Reign, since that's it's own little thing.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
Comics
« Reply #59 on: 05/ 18/ 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
Awwwwwwesome. Makes me feel a little stupid for buying individual issues, but I can't stop, it's an addiction. I see you're mainly a Marvel guy (respect) but I'd still recommend Secret Six (which I guess technically includes Villains United). Gail Simone rocks my socks.