Comics
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Comics  (Read 69481 times)

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1000 on: 12/ 24/ 2016, 01:38:26 PM »
Have to give Secret Six a break after two Trade Paper Backs.
Loved the inclusion of Bane into the Six but then every storyline followed the same formula.
The Six are hired to do something, a incident happens that puts the Six into a near unwinnable state, there is a betrayal (as there always is), they somehow escape and the betrayer either leaves and the six gets a new member or they begrudgingly make amends cause they've got no-one else.

Gonna give Cable and Deadpool a shot since it looks like my kind of bag. I really hate how big and annoying Deadpool has gotten (see Comic Drake's rant on him). But I hear really good things about that series and I do want to know more about Marvel Lore and X Men tangentially.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #1001 on: 01/ 03/ 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
hrm, maybe Secret Six is better off in a monthly format. I loved 90% of it, with the notable exception of the last arc before it got cancelled.

I forget. Did you ever read Leaving Megalopolis?

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1002 on: 02/ 05/ 2017, 01:21:28 PM »
Finally finished the pre-new 52 run of Secret Six.
Got weird in places like they didn't know what to do with the Six, splitting them up, having them fight each other etc. At one point there were eight of them.

However I really did like the run. Like a lot. I want to see more of them in the new 52. I had not realised that there is actually two TPB released for it already. Does anyone know if Secret Six is still on-going at the moment?

Also found an absolute bargain at the comic book chain Travelling Man. I've been somewhat eyeing a copy of J.Scott Campbell's Time Capsule on and off but it's essentially a biography rather than an artbook i.e. 30% art and 70% words/ commentary so not in my interest to pay the full $49.99.
Went in yesterday to find it on the reduced shelf 75% off!
It didn't have a prime location in the store when I first saw it, hidden away in the corner so no wonder it didn't sell.

hrm, maybe Secret Six is better off in a monthly format. I loved 90% of it, with the notable exception of the last arc before it got cancelled.

I forget. Did you ever read Leaving Megalopolis?

Sorry didn't get back to ya.
Nope I haven't read anything else by Gail Simone. I actually starting reading Batgirl just after her run which sucked cause now that I see what she could do, I wish she was heading the writing for Batgirl of Burnside.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Comics
« Reply #1003 on: 02/ 08/ 2017, 05:57:15 AM »
Did you like Simones Batgirl? I thought it was baaad. Maybe the art killed it for me, but it just didn't click with be personally. At the same time I am happy that the people who did got to write Burnside. That was a fund thing.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1004 on: 02/ 08/ 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
Did you like Simones Batgirl? I thought it was baaad. Maybe the art killed it for me, but it just didn't click with be personally. At the same time I am happy that the people who did got to write Burnside. That was a fund thing.

I didn't no. I only read Babs Tarr and Cameron Stewart's run of Batgirl. Emphasis on Babs Tarr since the only reason I started reading was cause of the Batgirl costume re-design, and Selfie cover.

I have this weird interest when people take fiction and shift it to modern technology just cause it makes me feel closer to the actual story.

Burnside was ok but I'm glad I got out when I did. Things were just ok to meh. Nothing really blew me away and the story never came up with anything epic so yeah I stopped reading when Babs stopped drawing the strip

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Comics
« Reply #1005 on: 02/ 11/ 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
That's fair. Did you get Motor Crush? How do you like it?

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1006 on: 02/ 18/ 2017, 03:05:35 PM »
That's fair. Did you get Motor Crush? How do you like it?

It was recommended to me by my local but I think I'm pretty much done with that team.
Their last Batgirl cover with her doing another selfie surrounded by the other characters felt like a nice stopping point with closure. Wasn't enjoying it that much month by month so it was a clean break.

Nowadays I'm just getting Gwenpool and waiting for Snotgirl to start coming out again later this year.

Did end up reading Secret Six post new 52 and it was pretty good. A lot more focus on Catman providing LOTS of fan service for female readers. It was weird seeing some things cross over like Scandal's relationships and other things not like how three of the original six are still in a team but not the secret six team

I don't normally buy comics for their covers but I had to make an exception today

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Comics
« Reply #1007 on: 02/ 25/ 2017, 01:59:26 PM »
That seems fair. It is an awfully pretty comic, but I really don't care for the story. What might be interesting is Sun Bakery by Cory Lewis (http://sunbakerey.tumblr.com/) it is a gorgeous and very inventive one-an-anthology. Sweet and funny short comics that are bursting out of the pages.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1008 on: 03/ 25/ 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
Anyone know a lot about X-Men?

I want to get into the series when they were drawing the costumes like in the cartoon show: Cyclops in his blue suit with hair poking out, Wolverine's Yellow and Black, Rogue's large mane with Yellow spandex bomber coat combo.
I've done a little searching and I found Jim Lee did a run in the early 90's with Mutant Genesis so I was looking to pick that TPB up at least. Does Jimmy do any more after this story line?

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Comics
« Reply #1009 on: 03/ 26/ 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
Anyone know a lot about X-Men?

YES.

That series is the 1992 relaunch. He actually did some X-Books before that, waaaay back when Psylocke was still English and not in her Japanese body yet.

the internet says -
Uncanny X-Men #248, 256–258, 267–277
Lee was arguably comics’ biggest superstar of the early 1990s, drawing “Uncanny X-Men” as written by Chris Claremont.   Issue No. 268, featuring Wolverine’s first meeting with Captain America, is a particular highlight.

There are probably more. If you like that era, there's a 10 issue miniseries that just ended called "X-Men 92". I haven't read it yet (massive backlog) but I saw Rogue punch a bear and that's all I really needed.

edit: here's a list of his Marvel work, according to Marvel.
http://marvel.com/comics/creators/96/jim_lee

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Comics
« Reply #1010 on: 07/ 06/ 2017, 04:50:32 AM »
Snotgirl is back. It still looks gorgeous and still doesn't make much sense.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1011 on: 07/ 06/ 2017, 12:33:47 PM »
Snotgirl is back. It still looks gorgeous and still doesn't make much sense.

We have differing thoughts Lemon.
I love Bryan's scott pilgrim-y writing and the art is just ok for me

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Comics
« Reply #1012 on: 07/ 07/ 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
We have differing thoughts Lemon.
I love Bryan's scott pilgrim-y writing and the art is just ok for me

The only work I've read in full from him is Seconds which I thought was pretty straightforward. Snotgirl has a pretty clear emotional direction I think but it doesn't seem very concerned with its plotting. Which is fine by me since I prefer character driven work as opposed to plot driven.

I've been following Leslie Hung's art for years so I'm really happy to see it in a comic. You don't get many comic artists with realistic proportions that still have really gestural and flowing linework.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1013 on: 09/ 07/ 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
Just read and finished Deadpool and Cable: Split Second, the limited run series.
I can say it's my favourite storyline the duo have been on. It was kinda silly but they weren't fighting to be the protagonist which I felt was a big problem with the original Cable and Deadpool run.

Cable had a big storyline throughout the original series and Deadpool was just kinda there, and I really don't get the connection between those two, and still kinda don't even though I have read anything.
I think the Deadpool game had a better duo dynamic than in the comics. Its way more straight forward.

Also I finally picked up J Scott Campbell's Danger Girl Sketchbook. It's honestly one of my favourites already. I love JSC's style or should I say, I love the sexiness of his work. The sketchbook is pretty much that.
It's also a model sheet of sorts for the Danger Girls as he shows concept art and designs for the girls drawn by others with his comments and scrawls on how to draw them.
There's a bonus easter egg of sorts on the bottom corners of each page but it's the cherry on top of the cheesecake
It's a flip book animation of the Danger Girls dancing

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
Comics
« Reply #1014 on: 12/ 31/ 2017, 07:26:53 AM »
They're terminating Gwenpool at the end of February next year with #25.

A nice round number to end on but also feels like a limited series too. It's been an ok run but I feel it just didn't catch on to the mainstream crowd as they wanted.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Comics
« Reply #1015 on: 01/ 02/ 2018, 02:47:49 PM »
They're terminating Gwenpool at the end of February next year with #25.

A nice round number to end on but also feels like a limited series too. It's been an ok run but I feel it just didn't catch on to the mainstream crowd as they wanted.

Nobody knows what they want. It bums me out, that they canned so many series.