The Manga Thread
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Manga Thread  (Read 56162 times)

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
The Manga Thread
« on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 04:15:52 AM »
Topher suggested we make one, so here it is then.

I seriously haven't read a full manga series in forever. The last manga I read, and not in full, was Blame! which was the most epic shit ever. Otherwise it's been a lot of me picking up a manga, reading a few chapters, and then either picking up another one or leaving the bookstore I was reading them at. Sad, I know. The biggest reason for me not finishing anything is because I'm usually pretty broke and can't be bothered to sit around in a bookstore all day. I need home places. And for some reason I find it hard to read manga online.

Meh, anyway. Manga manga manga.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #1 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 04:44:56 AM »
Yotsuba which is manga specific
Sayanora Zetsubou becuase, in all forms, it is great.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
The Manga Thread
« Reply #2 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 04:46:49 AM »

Mecegirl

• nubbin
  • Badges tee hee hee Inufantry It's a Lady! Bears
The Manga Thread
« Reply #3 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 04:50:12 AM »
I normally just go to a site with scans and read random manga. I don't go to the book store as often as I used to so my manga collection may never be complete unless I amazon. But what I have been reading on the site I go to is Kimi No Todoke. I like it bu it's shojo so unless your in a lovey dovey mood  LOL.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
The Manga Thread
« Reply #4 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 07:21:11 AM »
Havent been reading much except bakuman and the world god only knows. In terms of actually buying stuff I picked up the first volume of the phoenix wright casebook files which was pretty good. I might start buying kimi ni todoke but I'd like to know the chances of it getting a second season first.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
The Manga Thread
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 08:53:32 AM »
Ok, now that we have this thing, I'll post this here:

Just finished reading all 31 chapters of a doujinshi manga series called "Onani Master Kurosawa," or Masturbation Master Kurosawa. Probably one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of reading. As you can tell from the title, some very suggestive themes, but that's as far as they go, this is not an eroge. I don't tend to read much manga, especially if an animated version is in existence, so my knowledge on the medium is limited. However the story, character developments, and personal themes brought up were so wonderfully executed, I feel I have no choice but to put this out there. Go look it up, now.

The follow up short novel (more like an essay) was pretty good as well. Do recommend.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
The Manga Thread
« Reply #6 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 08:55:24 AM »
sadly i can probably count on one hand how many manga series ive read. i usually look at the wall of manga my local comic book store or barnes and noble has and i get lost and stop looking.

Battle Angel (original series)
Blood The Last Vampire
FLCL
Azumanga Daioh

possibly a couple of others but those were 10+ years ago.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #7 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
 Every single person in here needs to read Liar Game. The games are always fascinating. Other than that I haven't read much:

I've been SLOWLY working my way through Akumatsu, a great manga about a "righteous" terrorist trying to reform a corrupted Japanese government by killing the corrupt politicians. The twist is, every time he kills one, he kills himself too.

Sundome, it has good humor regardless of the obvious sexual tones.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #8 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
Woohoo!!

Blame! is the shit! I recommend Biomega as well, it is made by the same guy and awesome as well!

I spend a lot of my time reading manga, online and in books. I haven't bought any in a while, mainly because I kind of lost track of One Piece and because there hasn't been a new Black Lagoon out since forever.

Aside from that I really recommend Lone Wolf and Cub (awesome samurai slaying bad people while carrying the adorable Diagoro on his back) and Grenadier, which is funny manga with lots of breasts, just because Sundome and Gantz were metioned before.

And because Manic mentioned Beck, I think that the Beck manga is one of the best, funniest and simply greates manga EVER! I wanna have them all one day!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #9 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
At all times I keep a vol of manga in my backpack and in my car.  <3

I used to read a tremendous amount of manga. I had a friend with a manga habit and money he liked to waste. Hahaha, those were the days. These days I've cut down a lot but I'm currently reading D Gray Man, Sgt Frog and Le Chevalier D'Eon. The last vol (8) of Chevalier comes out in July, a full year after 7. BLAH @ Del Rey Manga!  Sharp Cypher bought the omnibus editions of One Piece 1-12 so I read those and while it starts off REALLY slow, the back stories keep it going well until it gets to speed (no pun intended). Will finish reading those online I think.

I got all the volumes of GALS!! two years ago at MegaCon but have not gone though them yet. I always forget I have them.

For those that want manga on the cheap, check out www.alibris.com or you can swap your books for manga at www.paperbackswap.com I've filled in holes in my collections pretty cheap that way. If you feel like doing me a favor I can send you a referral link which gets me a credit, but if not, sign up anyway. Good finds there :D

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #10 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
That looks awesome, only problem is that most of my books are german and I don't want to give them away :D

For cheap books/manga try abebooks.com as well!

Shad

• nubbin
The Manga Thread
« Reply #11 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
My favourite manga is probably Fullmetal Alchemist, though I also like Bakuman quite a bit.

MechaSheva17

• nubbin
  • Badges Spotted Memebon Rockmelon Game Night
The Manga Thread
« Reply #12 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 08:54:09 PM »
I don't really read too much manga. I started reading Highschool of the Dead, Monster, and Manhole back whenever it was that they came out but never finished them. Highschool of the Dead was alright because zombies, but other then that it was just a tit fest. Still looking forward to the Anime though because the animation looks good from the trailer that I saw and I love me some zombies. Monster and Manhole were both really good too. Don't remember too much about Monster but I know that Manhole had me hooked. However!,  I've read Parasyte and Azumanga Daioh all the way through. Both were good but I'd say that Azumanga Daioh is better because IT JUST IS.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
The Manga Thread
« Reply #13 on: 05/ 03/ 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
I found the cup ramen!

...Er...Carry on.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
The Manga Thread
« Reply #14 on: 05/ 04/ 2010, 04:32:34 AM »
I used to read a bunch. Only finished very few series. And my absolute favorite has been Beck. I started reading it roughly around '02 and just finished it last year. Koyuki's jesus light gets me every time.

Also, my friend has been urging me to pick up and read Vagabond for the past 6 months. I will eventually.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
The Manga Thread
« Reply #15 on: 05/ 04/ 2010, 07:07:49 AM »
i just started reading the Initial D manga from where the anime leaves off. its pretty good except for some questionable fanlations.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #16 on: 05/ 04/ 2010, 08:39:05 AM »
Stuff about how great Beck is...

I love it, because it feels like you are actually seeing them live sometimes! So great!

kawaiiaya

• nubbin
  • AMNIAL CROSSING! 遊ぼう!
  • Badges Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy It's a Lady! Community Podcaster Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night
The Manga Thread
« Reply #17 on: 05/ 04/ 2010, 01:41:26 PM »
Been reading this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=6309

It's pretty good I've been hooked onto it since the first chapter. It's still ongoing as well!

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
The Manga Thread
« Reply #18 on: 05/ 04/ 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
Been reading this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=6309

It's pretty good I've been hooked onto it since the first chapter. It's still ongoing as well!

The synops looks interesting. I'll give it a read.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
The Manga Thread
« Reply #19 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 04:25:59 PM »

Just finished reading all the available chapters. It's a really interesting premise and kinda disturbing too.
Love how everyone in the real world looks like a caricature though.