The Manga Thread
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Manga Thread  (Read 55857 times)

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #60 on: 05/ 20/ 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
I love reading the last chapters of I''S. Makes me kind of happy about stuff and confident :)

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #61 on: 05/ 20/ 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
Snagged Sword of the Dark ones vol 1 from Paperback Swap to see how I like it. The last short manga that I really enjoyed was Dokkoida. I had no idea it was from CMX. Definitely recommend that one.

swiped from Wikipedia:
Dokkoida?!, known in Japan as Sumeba Miyako no Cosmos-sō Suttoko Taisen Dokkoider (住めば都のコスモス荘·すっとこ大戦ドッコイダー?, lit. Living in the Cosmos House, Foolish Dokkoida's Great Battle) is a comedic Japanese novel series about a boy, Suzuo Sakurazaki, who is hired by a preteen space alien girl, Tanpopo, to try out an experimental new suit developed by the intergalactic toy company that she works for. Suzuo agrees to work for her since he is unemployed and needs the job to pay the rent. The suit gives him super powers, with which he fights bad guys and people from rival intergalactic toy companies and organizations.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #62 on: 05/ 26/ 2010, 09:13:42 AM »
I have just read some parts of Ikigami.
This is a scary and really sad thing...

If you need a moving manga right now, try this one!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #63 on: 06/ 02/ 2010, 11:49:01 PM »
I got Sword of the Dark Ones v1 from Paperback Swap and it was originally called Ragnarok. Turns out that the title is a bit of a major spoiler, which I realized about halfway through and would probably have realized it sooner had I been paying attention. It's typical shonen level-up fare, without any padding. Main character just goes from miniboss to miniboss. Nothing ever makes you think he won't win. I don't regret reading it, but it's definitely not one of my favorites.

Steel Fist Riku I read previously and I thought that was cute and should have lasted longer.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
The Manga Thread
« Reply #64 on: 06/ 03/ 2010, 12:17:54 AM »
I got Sword of the Dark Ones v1 from Paperback Swap and it was originally called Ragnarok. Turns out that the title is a bit of a major spoiler, which I realized about halfway through and would probably have realized it sooner had I been paying attention. It's typical shonen level-up fare, without any padding. Main character just goes from miniboss to miniboss. Nothing ever makes you think he won't win. I don't regret reading it, but it's definitely not one of my favorites.

I, regretfully, bought that whole series (lol3volumes) as they were being published. It's been a few years since I read it and I don't remember any of it at all, aside from Ragnarok. Meeeeeh

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #65 on: 06/ 03/ 2010, 03:08:55 PM »
Reading the end of BEck again and damn that makes me so happy. I love that manga!

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
The Manga Thread
« Reply #66 on: 06/ 08/ 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
So I just finished up reading Bitter Virgin. Easily now one of my top 5 favorite manga. I dunno how to explain why I like it so much. The story just really got to me for some reason. I recommend. Just 4 volumes.

However if you might feel weird reading about a 16 year old girl who was raped by her stepfather on several occasions and her dealing with the aftermah of it, then don't read it.

Though it does have a happy ending (well, kinda bittersweet, but it's not a sad ending)

Oh, and the fucking asshole got her pregnant.
« Last Edit: 06/ 09/ 2010, 12:24:24 AM by Jack Hollow »

Sharp Cypher

•   
  • Lurkin'
  • Badges Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Spotted Memebon Happy Babies! Rockmelon Game Night
    • My Personal Website
The Manga Thread
« Reply #67 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 08:38:18 AM »
I recently jumped onto the D. Gray Man bandwagon that electric_goldfish has been trying to get me on for a while.  It's pretty solid, and I'm looking forward to reading more.

And, as she mentioned, I also picked up volumes 1 - 12 of One Piece, and it was a lot better than I expected!  I also want to finish my collection of Yotsuba&!.

Electric_goldfish says I should also read the Air Gear manga, because the anime doesn't do it justice at all.

I think the only manga series I've ever read from beginning to end was  Love Hina.  Don't judge me!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
The Manga Thread
« Reply #68 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
ead the Air Gear manga, because the anime doesn't do it justice at all.

AT ALL.

SerialExperimentsAmy

•   
  • Present day. Present time.
  • Badges tee hee hee It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Moonspeaker
The Manga Thread
« Reply #69 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
So I just finished up reading Bitter Virgin. Easily now one of my top 5 favorite manga. I dunno how to explain why I like it so much. The story just really got to me for some reason. I recommend. Just 4 volumes.

However if you might feel weird reading about a 16 year old girl who was raped by her stepfather on several occasions and her dealing with the aftermah of it, then don't read it.

Though it does have a happy ending (well, kinda bittersweet, but it's not a sad ending)

Oh, and the fucking asshole got her pregnant.

Bitter virgin is so good! I wish they had that out in the US, I need it on my book shelf.

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
The Manga Thread
« Reply #70 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 04:22:18 PM »
Bitter virgin is so good! I wish they had that out in the US, I need it on my book shelf.

You are correct madam, this needs to be properly translated (though the translation I read was great) and released in the US. I'm tempted to just print out every page of it I found on the webernets and make a pseudo omnibus for myself. I just have to have it! But then I'd feel like I'm stealing. And it's so great, I wanna actualy properly support the mangaka who created it.

SerialExperimentsAmy

•   
The Manga Thread
« Reply #71 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 05:50:23 PM »
You are correct madam, this needs to be properly translated (though the translation I read was great) and released in the US. I'm tempted to just print out every page of it I found on the webernets and make a pseudo omnibus for myself. I just have to have it! But then I'd feel like I'm stealing. And it's so great, I wanna actualy properly support the mangaka who created it.

I wouldn't be surprised, hourou musuko is getting a US release. That is my favorite manga and I didn't think it would ever come here

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
    • My Anime List
The Manga Thread
« Reply #72 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised, hourou musuko is getting a US release. That is my favorite manga and I didn't think it would ever come here

I can only hope that it does see a US release. Me wantee physical version of Bitter Virgin.

And I've heard that name before, Hourou Musuko, but I've never gotten around to reading it. Is that the one about the kinda girlish elementary school kid? Or am I confusing it with something else?

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
The Manga Thread
« Reply #73 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 09:08:40 PM »
Hokuto Musou = Fist of the North Star (if I remember right)

SerialExperimentsAmy

•   
The Manga Thread
« Reply #74 on: 06/ 09/ 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
I can only hope that it does see a US release. Me wantee physical version of Bitter Virgin.

And I've heard that name before, Hourou Musuko, but I've never gotten around to reading it. Is that the one about the kinda girlish elementary school kid? Or am I confusing it with something else?

yeah that's it, it's amazing

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #75 on: 06/ 10/ 2010, 07:35:08 AM »

Electric_goldfish says I should also read the Air Gear manga, because the anime doesn't do it justice at all.

I heard that guy's stuff was better when he was doing sexy comics.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
The Manga Thread
« Reply #76 on: 06/ 10/ 2010, 01:29:29 PM »
The final Fullmetal Alchemist chapters now scanlated.  I wont say anything but I was pretty satisfied with how things turned out.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
The Manga Thread
« Reply #77 on: 06/ 10/ 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
Meanwhile Bleach just killed my brain.

Kubo: No srsly you guys, I'm going to end this arc in June.

Aizen: Hey guys, I'm going to be the end boss for the next arc too, which just happens to be part of this arc so it technically hasn't ended.  

Also, here, let me give the good guys an ace in the hole by giving them an eternal pocket universe where time has stopped so that they can train as much as necessary.

CaptainBright

• nubbin
  • Somersault!
The Manga Thread
« Reply #78 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
This is my hatred of Bleach so far: From the start to Soul Society, everyone is hip and cool and stuff like that. Then after that, shit goes so wrong, we don't remember anyone else anymore. Ishida? Relatively forgotten. Chad? No idea. Worst of all, Rukia also is relatively forgotten. Right now, it's just who has the bigger sword and bigger Xanatos Gambit. This is why One Piece makes me happy, where no one is relatively forgotten. Especially Luffy's partners/ friends.

Besides that, gonna start on F.M.A. for once. Seeing that the final chapter is out, I can read from start to finish in peace.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #79 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
And you wont regret it! Full Metal has me hooked right now :D
All started with that Podcast where they said that brother hood was good...
:D
Thanks for that!

I agree on One Piece, although I want really want to know how he will go on with them all...