The Manga Thread
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Manga Thread  (Read 58325 times)

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
The Manga Thread
« Reply #80 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
I've been trying to get back into One Piece again, but for some reason it doesn't hold my interest.  It always feels like whenever I try to catch up on it, the sheer flood of mini-arcs overwhelms me.  I have the same problem with Hitman Reborn.  I really want to like both.

As for Bleach, I may be dropping it soon.  I thought Isshin coming back would bring my interest back because he's one of my favorite characters in the series, but it seems like upper management decisions finally took their toll on Kubo or something because you can tell he just doesn't care anymore.  I thought we'd get taken to something new other than Soul Society in this last arc...NOPE!  

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #81 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 01:47:18 PM »
I never got into Bleach.

And from what I hear now, it might not be worth to catch up on hundreds of chapters :)

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
The Manga Thread
« Reply #82 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
It's not really that hard to do, because it's a 4 chapter-to-1 ratio of something actually happening.

I had a blast when I caught up on the begining of the Arrancar arc, which was conveniently penned out when I got around to it.  Then when they got to the Apollo Grantz fight in Hueco Mundo the pacing went to shit.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #83 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
I have just finished reading Full Metal Alchemist.
I really liked it!

But I have a question, is there a manga that goes all the way? I mean one where people really die?
(Better save then sorry)
They came back in Dragon Ball, in Naruto and now here in F.M.A.

I know that some die in Pluto, but right now I don't know one where important characters REALY die...

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #84 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 05:27:16 PM »
All of you need to read D Gray Man. Just sayin'

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
The Manga Thread
« Reply #85 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 06:13:46 PM »

Serious FMA spoilers.
Alphonse was never dead. It's that his entire self that was taken as his price. Ed giving up alchemy wasn't his price to return his body to life as he wasn't dead to begin with, it was the price to take his entire body and soul back through the gate. Also there was a shit ton of tragic deaths through the manga. They just didn't have them all happen at the end.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
The Manga Thread
« Reply #86 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 06:15:32 PM »
On a side note, it really annoys me when people don't consider an ending proper unless everyone dies. It reminds me of how I used to think when I was 11 years old.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
The Manga Thread
« Reply #87 on: 06/ 12/ 2010, 07:03:23 PM »
They just didn't have them all happen at the end.

I'm not singling out anybody here, because everybody seems to be okay with the ending too, but yeah, I'm seeing a ton of complaints on other message boards saying that it wrapped up too conveniently, or Ed always had it easy in the manga compared to the first anime during his fights.  (Excuse me while I write this here for practice before I throw this out on the battlefield.)  That's not convenience; that's prepared writing.  

I'm tired of all these Cowboy Bebop endings, where someone important dies and that's it; the audience is supposed to swallow this metaphorical ending and make up their own endings for the rest of the cast.  Because it's been ten years and I have no idea what the hell Jet or Faye would be doing after that.  I'm not saying you can't write like that, but it's not the only way to write a conclusion to a story, and because FMA didn't do that doesn't mean it's lazy.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #88 on: 06/ 13/ 2010, 06:10:59 AM »
I didn't mean that it wasn't a proper ending, I really liked it!
I was just asking myself where the artist goes all the way?

But I remembered Hughes now and some others. Still, taking Naruto for example, I was so sad for a chapter and then it was like, hey, never happened!

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #89 on: 06/ 14/ 2010, 10:38:07 PM »

Wanted to tell everyone about this manga called Shirley.

It's literally a one volume manga, buying one issue is not that big an investment, and I got my issue in today and it's really good. Like, if you like maids, cute things, things that are funny in a cute way. Get it.

It's not really something I would consider moe, it's got no fanservice or any sexual over-tones at all.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #90 on: 06/ 18/ 2010, 04:06:59 AM »
I have just randomly started to read a manga called Good Ending, it fun and the girls look really pretty. But the hero gets into every trouble possible, it is funny but I find it really hard to read, cause it is so embarassing ^^

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #91 on: 06/ 18/ 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
Read v1 of Remote. The story isn't bad, but the art has some major flaws in it. Perspective being one of the main ones. I can't shake that it has this 'fan art' feeling to it.

Then again I really like the art in Le Chevaleir D'eon sooooo yeah....art is subjective.

anyway this is the plot.
Kurumi Ayaki has recently retired from her job as a police officer but she needs money for her upcoming wedding. While she wants to return to her old job in the Traffic Department, she is instead assigned to Unsolved Crimes Division, Special Unit A to solve crimes that are deemed "unsolvable" and partnered with the genius inspector Himuro.

Planning to read v1 of Model over the weekend.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #92 on: 06/ 18/ 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Has anyone here read Cowa! ?
It is amazing :D

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #93 on: 06/ 18/ 2010, 05:28:58 PM »

That's Toriyama's latest work, right? I still consider Dragon Ball Z (Dragon Ball was fine) a dark period for him. His stuff is so much better suited to comedy and cute stuff.

Got the first volume of Appleseed, Shirow is Shirow. Speaking of which, this is really neat for anyone into comics: http://inkstuds.com/?p=2897

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
The Manga Thread
« Reply #94 on: 06/ 18/ 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
I love the early Dragon Ball stuff, it is so funny and great. In the end there was only fighting. Still kind of great, but hey, not the same. And Cowa! is just great, as you said cute and funny, and simple ;D

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
The Manga Thread
« Reply #95 on: 06/ 18/ 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
I love the early Dragon Ball stuff, it is so funny and great. In the end there was only fighting. Still kind of great, but hey, not the same. And Cowa! is just great, as you said cute and funny, and simple ;D

I really liked DB cuz it was a parody of all those big action shounen mangas of the time, and it just ended up becoming what it was parodying because it sold well and the publishers seemingly forced him to keep on.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
The Manga Thread
« Reply #96 on: 06/ 18/ 2010, 07:28:36 PM »

Wow, that was a quick read, I didn't realize it stopped at chapter 14.  

I was liking the characters.  Maruyama was like a badass-er Yangus.

CaptainBright

• nubbin
  • Somersault!
The Manga Thread
« Reply #97 on: 06/ 21/ 2010, 06:15:33 AM »
Reading Ubel Blatt at the moment, and am satisfied with the plot progression. It's like Berserk, minus one or two levels of gore and beauty, but at a faster pace. But more women and less skeletal-riding knights of badass.

Honestly, if only the plot of Berserk could be advanced faster.....

Hitogoroshi

• nubbin
The Manga Thread
« Reply #98 on: 06/ 25/ 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
Anyone else here into Seinen stuff?  I did see a couple mentions of Berserk.  How about Vagabond?

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
The Manga Thread
« Reply #99 on: 06/ 25/ 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
Anyone else here into Seinen stuff?  I did see a couple mentions of Berserk.  How about Vagabond?

Been really meaning to pick up Vagabond. My buddy talks non-stop about how great it is.