Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!  (Read 17849 times)

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
I figured I would give this a whirl since there isn't one. I am not a big reader of books but i do on occasion pick some up.

I am right now reading

She is by far my hugest celebrity crush and i know alot of people find her annoying and unattractive but me it's all <3s

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #1 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
Don't read much apart from fantasy. my favorite author is Terry Pratchett but I'm starting to get tired of the genre. Most fantasy writers seem only capable of writing the same story over and over again. I don't usually view that as a bas thing as long as it's good but writers lie Raymond E. Feist has defiantly gone down in quality in recent books.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #2 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 12:30:01 PM »
I also have this which i heard is way better than the movie although i havent seen or read either yet.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #3 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 12:55:54 PM »
YAY!

Excitement!

I am reading Robert A. Heinlein's "I will fear no evil" right now. It is great, the characters are pretty much alive all the time. After that I will go on to "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #4 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 03:39:46 PM »
Haven't read a novel in a while. Big fan of H.P. Lovecraft though. I'm a horror nutter. While I enjoy sci-fi, I haven't read much of it--been wanting to read more than 10 pages of Ender's Game, and some Asimov. I also love dystopians like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. I used to read a lot of fantasy when I was younger, but not so much anymore.

When poetry's concerned, Emily Dickinson is probably my favourite.

Sharp Cypher

•   
  • Lurkin'
  • Badges Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Spotted Memebon Happy Babies! Rockmelon Game Night
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
After that I will go on to "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson.

That's a good one, although I read it a long time ago.  Interesting view of a future driven by nanotechnology.  I thought it got incomprehensible at some points, but the plot has great payoff.

Personally, I just finished "reading" (I listen to unabridged audiobooks) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and Life, The Universe, and Everything.  Now, I'm on The Name of the Wind, which is more like a fantasy autobiography than a fantasy novel.  Very fun.  I'll probably take some time to knock out Mostly Harmless sometime soon and complete the "trilogy" with So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

McChicken116

• nubbin
« Reply #6 on: 05/ 05/ 2010, 10:17:57 PM »
Right now I am reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Best. Book. Ever.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #7 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 02:31:03 AM »
Right now I am reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Best. Book. Ever.

That sounds fake.

redlemon

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #8 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 08:30:23 AM »
That sounds fake.

Nah, these type of books have been popping up all over the place recently. I wouldn't be surprised if this was real at all.

Jay Hitcher

• nubbin
  • JOHN DO THE WINDY THING
« Reply #9 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 08:30:46 AM »
I just finished reading Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut, which was great. Re-reading V. by Thomas Pynchon until I can go to the library to pick up A Game of Thrones.

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #10 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 08:41:38 AM »
A Game of Thrones.

Great series of books but I swear to god George RR Martin is going to die before he finishes that series.

Jay Hitcher

• nubbin
  • JOHN DO THE WINDY THING
« Reply #11 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 08:51:34 AM »
Great series of books but I swear to god George RR Martin is going to die before he finishes that series.
That's pretty much what I've been hearing.

Jesus H Christ

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #12 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 08:51:51 AM »
I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire right now as well. About half way through the third book. Every time I think things can't get crazier in that series, someone goes and murders someone else. Best series I've read in a long time.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #13 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58RPS665V0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58RPS665V0</a>

I haven't found George R.R. Martin's books at any of my local bookstores. I only found Sandkings at a used bookstore.

Dyganth

• nubbin
  • Amnesiac Genius
  • Badges Beedog Approved Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Dancing with Myself
« Reply #14 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
I just recently finished the 5 books in the Temeraire series:

Waiting on the 6th book, and for George RR Martin to keep going.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Moderator Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #15 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 09:35:57 AM »

Two of my favorite books. The Alientist wiki.

Hanix

• nubbin
  • こんにちは私の名前はハニエルと私の愛のジャーナリズムは、
  • Badges Sauninda Happy Babies!
« Reply #16 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 12:30:22 PM »
I'm reading The Gathering Storm by Robert Jordan/Brian Sanderson. Pretty good more than half way through, I haven't read in about a month too busy. The book I have on que is Personal Effects: Dark Arts, its a psycological thriller I believe but not sure hope its good.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #17 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 09:13:10 PM »
There's also Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.
http://www.amazon.com/Sense-Sensibility-Monsters-Jane-Austen/dp/1594744424

I keep trying to read Maximum Ride by James Patterson (yes I know it's a young adult book) but I keep getting distracted.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #18 on: 05/ 06/ 2010, 09:28:56 PM »
im reading alot of Richard K. Morgan stuff. Altered Carbon is a fucking great book. right now im on his book called The Steel Remains, which is his take on fantasy. most of his stuff is cyberpunk though.

also turns out he got picked to write Crysis 2, so theres a little gaming tie-in.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #19 on: 05/ 07/ 2010, 06:23:58 AM »
I heard about the maximum Ride books, are they any good?
Just thinking that they'd make great presents for younger sisters :)