Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!  (Read 15257 times)

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #40 on: 07/ 02/ 2010, 06:43:05 AM »
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a great thriller if anyone hasn't read it yet. Very refreshing read.

They are awesome! Second and third are really good as well!
The first movie is good and I have not seen the others, but if they ever get to the U.S. you should check them out. They found a great actress for Lisbeth!

Dune is it for me in the moment, it is a slow book...

Senisan

•   
  • Badges Manly Man tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #41 on: 07/ 02/ 2010, 02:44:45 PM »
I'm currently finishing up The Brief and Wonderous life of Oscar Wao. I was a bit mislead by the person who recommended this who told me it was about a hispanic nerd growing up in jersey, when that is just a snippet of what this book really is. A big ol dominican republic history lesson lol I'm loving the book though. I relate to alot of the characters in some way culturally.

theredpepperofdoom

• nubbin
  • A giant fish monster is behind you.
    • http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/theredpepperofdoom
« Reply #42 on: 07/ 03/ 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
The first movie is good and I have not seen the others, but if they ever get to the U.S. you should check them out. They found a great actress for Lisbeth!
Really? Awesome. I was worried that the actor for Lisbeth would be shitty. Good news to hear.

Zodiac Eclipse

• We <3 Mom
  • nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Sauninda Sauninda harder It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Happy Babies!
« Reply #43 on: 07/ 12/ 2010, 02:38:19 PM »
And I am now completely caught up with the Song of Ice and Fire series. Crazy good read for any fantasy science fiction fans. Now if only old man Martin would get the next book out so I could see what happens to everyone.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #44 on: 07/ 15/ 2010, 06:35:17 AM »
Martin will die before he ever finishes those fucking boooks.

BlindsideDork

• Bearded and mighty
  •   
  • Badges Sauninda
« Reply #45 on: 07/ 15/ 2010, 06:36:03 AM »
With the Aliens Bluray announcement, I might try to go out and get an Aliens book :P

Lelio

• nubbin
  • Ham!
« Reply #46 on: 07/ 19/ 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
I'm reading The Red Badge of Courage on my friend's request and I'm hating it as much as the time I read Catcher in the Rye. I don't know what it is about "Inspirational American Literature" but I seem to feel everything but inspired. World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide have been sitting in my bookshelf waiting to be read. Will have to cover them soon so I can take them on the train!

Caboose

• nubbin
  • The Crowing.
« Reply #47 on: 07/ 24/ 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
Changes by Jim Butcher, the latest in the Dresden novels ends crazy good.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #48 on: 07/ 24/ 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
I'm reading The Red Badge of Courage on my friend's request and I'm hating it as much as the time I read Catcher in the Rye. I don't know what it is about "Inspirational American Literature" but I seem to feel everything but inspired. World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide have been sitting in my bookshelf waiting to be read. Will have to cover them soon so I can take them on the train!

World War Z is a fucking amazing book. I read it during my trip to America, btw if its a really long journey like mine was you kind of get an inside view of what most zombies feel.
I loved the curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon and be meaning to find another copy as i've lost my home one :(.
The only series that I've been deeply engrossed in to such a point where the antagonist had even hunted me in my nightmares was A Series of Unfortunate Events by lemony snicket. Collected, Read and Loved all of them!

Caboose

• nubbin
  • The Crowing.
« Reply #49 on: 07/ 24/ 2010, 10:29:09 PM »
World War Z was amazing. Its really cool to get a story for that many perspectives on a subject I love.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #50 on: 07/ 24/ 2010, 10:55:08 PM »
AWW, I still have to get that one...

I finished Titanicus by Dan Abnett last night. Like always, great, fun, fast and freaking BADASS!!

Next one should be the Ravenor Omnibus! WOOHOO!

Lelio

• nubbin
  • Ham!
« Reply #51 on: 07/ 25/ 2010, 07:59:40 AM »
World War Z is a fucking amazing book. I read it during my trip to America, btw if its a really long journey like mine was you kind of get an inside view of what most zombies feel.
I loved the curious incident of the dog in the night time by Mark Haddon and be meaning to find another copy as i've lost my home one :(.
The only series that I've been deeply engrossed in to such a point where the antagonist had even hunted me in my nightmares was A Series of Unfortunate Events by lemony snicket. Collected, Read and Loved all of them!

I'm going to start reading it once I'm done with the Zombie Survival Guide - really looking forward to it. I haven't read a Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm not sure if it's something I'd enjoy.. what's the premise?

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #52 on: 07/ 25/ 2010, 11:55:11 AM »
I'd say skip the books and watch the movie. The books are to short for the money. But I bet they are still quite enjoyable...

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #53 on: 07/ 25/ 2010, 12:36:03 PM »
I'm going to start reading it once I'm done with the Zombie Survival Guide - really looking forward to it. I haven't read a Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm not sure if it's something I'd enjoy.. what's the premise?

They are a children's book so they might be targeted for adults. But reading it as a child it was waaay darker than anything I had seen before. It dabbled in kidnapping, murder and arson with a big mix of black comedy. A big downside is that most books in the series follow a linear set up which was used in the previous book and only during the final stretch of the series does Snicket mix it up a bit

Lelio

• nubbin
  • Ham!
« Reply #54 on: 07/ 25/ 2010, 02:57:54 PM »
I think I'll watch the movie and if I like it I'll have a look at the books.

Wintersocks

• Motivational Mountain Mover
  •   
  • Socks 2: Knit Harder
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry SCIENCE! Bears Dancing with Myself Happy Babies! Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #55 on: 07/ 25/ 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
World War Z was amazing. Its really cool to get a story for that many perspectives on a subject I love.

Oh god yes. That book is the Dawn of the Dead of Zombie books.

That means super fucking rad.

Zodiac Eclipse

• We <3 Mom
  • nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Sauninda Sauninda harder It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Happy Babies!
« Reply #56 on: 08/ 03/ 2010, 01:35:27 PM »
Read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies finally. Actually enjoyed it more than expected. This is the version they should make people read in high school.

Lelio

• nubbin
  • Ham!
« Reply #57 on: 08/ 04/ 2010, 06:06:36 AM »
I keep picking that up in shops but I'm yet to buy it! One day, one day I'll take a leap of faith.

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
« Reply #58 on: 08/ 04/ 2010, 08:33:48 AM »
I love Terry Pratchett but J.R.R Tolkein is easily my favourite author, I'm currently re-reading the lord of the rings for the fifth time... I regret nothing!
I loved World War Z and the Zombie Survival guide, I keep the guide in a very obvious place on the bookshelf, it makes people laugh... but they'll see... they'll all see
I also love the Sherlock Holmes stories :3

Has anyone read any decent Crime Fic recently that they would recommend?

nekobun

• nubbin
  • Blood Of Champion
« Reply #59 on: 08/ 04/ 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
Finished Bill Bryson's In A Sunburned Country last week, a funny, eye-opening look at Australia, both the more populous centers and the more isolated but Australian-culturally-relevant areas, and a bit of the continent/nation's downright absurd history. Made me wish I had money so I could book a flight right away.

Now I'm trying to settle back into Leviathan, David Golemon's second-latest Event Group novel. Basically, it's like the X-Files meets Indiana Jones, with this quasi-governmental organization hunting down artifacts and exploring legends that might not be so legendary in order to learn what they can from the world's past. This one's all about some world-roaming sub that happened to inspire Jules Verne to write 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, whose half-mermaid (I haven't gotten to where they entirely explain that bit) captain decides to try shutting down any and all sea-borne oil drilling and transport by hitting tankers with super-clean mini-nukes, because they've been destroying the world's oceans for so long.

It was published last year, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't chuckle when I realized I was reading it at the height of the BP Gulf Of Mexico disaster.