Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!  (Read 16509 times)

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #60 on: 08/ 04/ 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
Has anyone read any decent Crime Fic recently that they would recommend?

I strongly recommend C.J. Box's Joe Picket novels, they are just great!
And P.J. Tracy's monkeywrench books, they are almost as good as the joe picket ones. Enjoy!

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
« Reply #61 on: 08/ 05/ 2010, 05:01:45 AM »
I strongly recommend C.J. Box's Joe Picket novels, they are just great!
And P.J. Tracy's monkeywrench books, they are almost as good as the joe picket ones. Enjoy!

I'll be sure to check them out when I have some money, so a quite a while
Unless I get the job I'm having an interview for today, wish me luck!

Lelio

• nubbin
  • Ham!
« Reply #62 on: 08/ 05/ 2010, 04:38:18 PM »
Finished Bill Bryson's In A Sunburned Country last week, a funny, eye-opening look at Australia, both the more populous centers and the more isolated but Australian-culturally-relevant areas, and a bit of the continent/nation's downright absurd history. Made me wish I had money so I could book a flight right away.

I'll have to have a read of this. It'd be interesting to see this place from an outsider's perspective.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #63 on: 09/ 03/ 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
I am reading Time enough for Love right now. Heinlein is amazing, so much wisdom...
Any other recommendations on that front?

I have more stuff lined up though. Dan Abnett, Frank Herbert and Haruki Murakami are waiting...

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #64 on: 09/ 03/ 2010, 05:41:26 PM »
Just finished the new Pratchett Book I shall wear midnight. Very good. I think it one of the most satisfying endings I've ever read.

Hexual

• nubbin
  • Made Tetris in Visual Basic 5. Never again.
  • Badges Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • Sys. Req.
« Reply #65 on: 09/ 23/ 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
Anything by Terry Pratchett (FANBOY! I can wear midnight en route)
Most of Douglas Adams (Been a while, but didn't like Dirk much, might re-read soon)
Capacity
World War Z
Roddy Doyle's Barrytown trilogy
Recently read Sum by David Eagleman. You need to read this. Makes you think. Lots.

There seems to be a fair bit of Pratchett love. Enough to validate a new thread?
« Last Edit: 09/ 23/ 2010, 04:10:55 PM by Hexual »

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #66 on: 09/ 23/ 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
I don't know ^^
But if you like Pratchett you should try Triumff by Dan Abnett. It has a lot of that silliness and a ton of puns, but me being not a native speaker I didn't detect them all. It is still a great book!

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #67 on: 09/ 23/ 2010, 02:48:32 PM »
Just finished I am Legend. Damn good book. Not only is it brilliant sci-fi, it's just wonderfully well written, and a great subversion of the vampire myth.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #68 on: 09/ 23/ 2010, 03:07:13 PM »
wooord...

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #69 on: 09/ 23/ 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
 As much as I enjoyed I am Legend (which was a hell of a lot) I didn't like the short stories that came with it. Although I was hoping the stories would make it into the movie, but alas they did not.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar New York Dance Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #70 on: 09/ 23/ 2010, 03:57:11 PM »
Reading fear and loathing in las vegas.
Seen the film before reading so its kinda like reading through the film.
Still don't quite grasp what the hell gonzo journalism is. From what I can gather, its getting lots of drugs; going to an event and writing about all the fucked up shit that happens at the event whilst tripping on drugs.

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #71 on: 09/ 23/ 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
As much as I enjoyed I am Legend (which was a hell of a lot) I didn't like the short stories that came with it. Although I was hoping the stories would make it into the movie, but alas they did not.

Huh, I guess I got a different edition, mine is just I am Legend.

Reading fear and loathing in las vegas.
Seen the film before reading so its kinda like reading through the film.
Still don't quite grasp what the hell gonzo journalism is. From what I can gather, its getting lots of drugs; going to an event and writing about all the fucked up shit that happens at the event whilst tripping on drugs.

It's a blend of fact and fiction, Fear and Loathing is supposedly made up of several different trips to Vegas over a few years.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #72 on: 09/ 24/ 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
Yeah, he kind of describes his own life there...

He actually tried to become sheriff in some county and wanted to legalize dope and some other crazy stuff. He missed it really close. Some great guy the Mr. Thompson!

JusticeDude

•   
  • j/k, it's always spookytime
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #73 on: 09/ 27/ 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
I turned in a bunch of old books at a used bookstore today and got store credit, but couldn't find anything I wanted to read right away.  I want to read some modern superhero fiction, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of that.  I heard good things about the Wild Cards series, but couldn't find it.  Other than that I've been out of the fiction loop for a while an need to discover something new.

Danny

• Brithandsome
  •   
  • Baby, you'd look good in a dumpster.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Rockmelon Game Night Beedog Approved Sauninda Manly Man Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #74 on: 11/ 25/ 2010, 03:27:11 PM »
Oh hello books, it's been a while.

After playing Lair of the Shadow Broker I got the Mass Effect itch and ordered the 3 novels. Considering these are the first books I've read for about 5-7 years (Either Order of the Pheonix or Soul Music was the last one) I'm having some fun reading them. They're written by the lead writer of the games (Drew Karpyshyn) so they're definitely faithful to the universe at the very least. I'd love to talk more about them but I have very little to compare them to.

I think I'll get Crime and Punishment next (LOLLEAP.)

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #75 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
I've been reading 'Into Thin Air' by Jon Krakauer,  one of the best books I've read in a long time.  (It's put me on a little bit of a mountain climbing mood at that :) )

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #76 on: 12/ 03/ 2010, 08:59:33 AM »
I am currently fighting with Gibson's Count Zero..
It is good, but I can't get myself to read through it in one sitting...

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #77 on: 12/ 03/ 2010, 08:50:36 PM »
I have read this book or listened to it on MP3 (yes I listen to books on tape) about 7 times.

This one too.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #78 on: 12/ 04/ 2010, 04:25:12 AM »
The road was so amazing....
And sad.

How do you manage to listen to the stuff, I always get distracted. It sucks...

I still need to read those books god damn it!
Inside Game Of Thrones (HBO)
« Last Edit: 12/ 06/ 2010, 08:09:13 AM by Schabracke »

AzNheadbanger

•   
  • #1 Dance Central fan
  • Badges tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #79 on: 12/ 20/ 2010, 08:16:41 AM »
The Kindle app for Android phones is really a beautiful thing. Its just like Steam, but for books and its going to have an equally deveastating effect on my wallet. I'm currently reading Game of Thrones on it at work and listening to the audiobook while playing games.