Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!  (Read 15219 times)

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #80 on: 12/ 20/ 2010, 08:41:53 AM »
There is an audiobook for that?

I will go and look for it RIGHT NOW!

Sharp Cypher

•   
  • Lurkin'
  • Badges Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Spotted Memebon Happy Babies! Rockmelon Game Night
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #81 on: 01/ 21/ 2011, 09:26:25 AM »
I have a pretty long commute, so listening to audio books in the car is ideal.  I'm starting Dune, but its tough to get into it.  Maybe I should start again.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #82 on: 01/ 21/ 2011, 07:03:51 PM »
I'd say do it!
But only so that you could tell me if it is worth it :D

I have stopped reading somewhere in the middle...
Was really good though!

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #83 on: 01/ 21/ 2011, 09:24:41 PM »
How do you manage to listen to the stuff, I always get distracted. It sucks...
I used to have a job that let me listen to music all day long. Alas I no longer have that job T_T

goodgamer77

• nubbin
  • Badges Magfest 9
« Reply #84 on: 01/ 23/ 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
I used to have a job that let me listen to music all day long. Alas I no longer have that job T_T

Yea, I used to have a pretty mindless job in a shipping department and I listened to music and podcasts 8 hours a day. It was there that I heard the infamous Podtoid moment where no one responded to Samit and then they all laughed. I laughed so hard that my boss asked if I needed to go home because he thought I was choking.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #85 on: 01/ 24/ 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
Yea, I used to have a pretty mindless job in a shipping department and I listened to music and podcasts 8 hours a day. It was there that I heard the infamous Podtoid moment where no one responded to Samit and then they all laughed. I laughed so hard that my boss asked if I needed to go home because he thought I was choking.
Truly that was a great day for us all.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #86 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
Currently reading

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #87 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
How do you like Kitchen Confidential? I've been meaning to pick that book up for a while.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #88 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
I really enjoy it, it's actually my second time reading it. it's some kind of memoir and a behind-the-scenes look at restaurant kitchens,i highly recommend it 

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #89 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 10:58:54 AM »
Just finished my second book in my Modern World Literature class: Candide. Funny little book, but the ending really pissed me off. Didn't enjoy it as much as our first read, King Lear.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #90 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
Finished A Clash of Kings today. Really, really good! Not as much of a climax as the first book, but still entertaining from the first page on. Every character is important and not a single one can be really hated. They all have reasons, that are understandable.

Bought A Sword of Storms at the used book store a few hours later. Haven't started yet, but I will most likely tomorrow!
Also bought "Understanding Comics", looks really good and I am interested in how it goes. Make me smarter book!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #91 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 06:16:05 PM »
Finished reading 'The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint'. It's the 2nd book in the Yurt series. The world that was first built in 'A Bad Spell in Yurt' (first book in the series) is expanded and characters are looked at more in depth. Lots of little arcs going on in this one and I liked it very much from start to end.

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Nymph-Cranky-Saint-Brittain/dp/0671721569

Amazon's review explain it better than I can.
When King Haimeric decides to take a vacation, he leaves his nephew in charge, with Daimbert to aid him. Now Joachim is called on to help resolve the problem of the Sacred Toe, a saint's relic that the spirit of the saint, ever cranky, seems to want moved elsewhere. At the same time Daimbert is called on to investigate a sudden plague of horned and fanged rabbits. The two join together to investigate their problems, and thereby hangs a tale.

Danny

• Brithandsome
  •   
  • Baby, you'd look good in a dumpster.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Rockmelon Game Night Beedog Approved Sauninda Manly Man Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #92 on: 02/ 17/ 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
My Amazon Basket so far. 

The Blade Itself, Dune, Ubik, Man in the High Castle, A Scanner Darkly, and We can Remember it for you Wholesale. 

Need another book to make it an even eight, any suggestions?

Wintersocks

• Motivational Mountain Mover
  •   
  • Socks 2: Knit Harder
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry SCIENCE! Bears Dancing with Myself Happy Babies! Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #93 on: 02/ 17/ 2011, 07:21:10 PM »
I'm reading Wireless by Charles Stross, some really excellent Science Ficition short stories. And yo, Carl Sagan is a character in one of the stories and he totally gets murdered by the government. That's right, CARL SAGAN.

Danny

• Brithandsome
  •   
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Rockmelon Game Night Beedog Approved Sauninda Manly Man Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #94 on: 02/ 23/ 2011, 08:17:00 AM »

Crate of books received, now begins the readening.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #95 on: 02/ 23/ 2011, 01:49:46 PM »
SWEEEEET!

Enjoy it!

Danny

• Brithandsome
  •   
« Reply #96 on: 02/ 25/ 2011, 11:32:38 AM »

On top: Average sized Sci-fi book
Bottom: Average sized fantasy novel

What the fuck?!

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #97 on: 02/ 25/ 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
Most fantasy is over written garbadge.
I love them so much though. I think its the same deal people have with romance novels. There so predictable that their extremely comfortable to read.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #98 on: 02/ 25/ 2011, 01:16:21 PM »
Most fantasy is over written garbadge.

Maybe you should start reading good fantasy then.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #99 on: 02/ 25/ 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
Maybe you should start reading good fantasy then.

Care to give some recommendations then?