Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Books! Fiction/Non-Fiction and Everything in Between!  (Read 13000 times)

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #160 on: 12/ 20/ 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
ive been reading 1Q84, but its been slow going. thats mostly my fault, because im lazy and it basically takes me having nothing else to do before i sit down to read, even if i really enjoy the book im reading.

Danny

• Brithandsome
  •   
  • Baby, you'd look good in a dumpster.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Rockmelon Game Night Beedog Approved Sauninda Manly Man Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #161 on: 01/ 07/ 2013, 07:16:31 AM »
Finally finished reading Ringworld and I enjoyed it well enough, though I thought that the book got significantly worse when they began meeting the native life and it turned into more of an adventure book. Still it was fun, and now I'm going to read "The Name of the Wind."

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #162 on: 01/ 07/ 2013, 12:36:47 PM »
"The Name of the Wind."

One of the best fantasy fiction books I've ever read.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #163 on: 01/ 07/ 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
One of the best fantasy fiction books I've ever read.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #164 on: 01/ 17/ 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
I finished The Hobbit last night, read it for the first time after watching the movie, i'm impressed for the amount of content they added and slashed from the movie. I thought it was going to be a heavy read but i enjoyed it .

Now i have 4 books in my "to read" list and i can`t figure out which one should go first, i have:  Anthony Bourdain: Medium Raw and A cook´s tour , Game of Thrones, A book called "A geek in Japan" and Marvel Comics: The Untold History

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #165 on: 01/ 17/ 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
The only one I know out of these is Game of Thrones and that is well worth a read!

I can also, unrelated to that, definitely recommend the books of one Junot Diaz. I have only read "This is how you lose her" but it was beautiful. "The Brief and Wonderful Life of Oscar Wao" is pretty great as well, those first 20 pages I have read at least. Loots of references to X-Men and other stuff like that. It is great!

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #166 on: 11/ 17/ 2016, 04:00:07 PM »
Picked up Ready Player One! before I went on my holidays and spent a lot of my holiday reading it just because it's basically a geeky book for geeks.
Sooo many references, and soo many moments where I could totally relate to the MC.

A high recommendation from me!

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #167 on: 11/ 18/ 2016, 12:33:27 PM »
since i switched to an Audible subscription for my books I've had a lot more time to read (listen, but whatever) because now i can throw my headphones on at work and just listen for hours at a time.

I got through a bunch of Neal Stephenson books. Cryptonomicon and Seveneves are probably my two favorite. Zodiac and Reamde were also very good. Right now im working through The Expanse series. im on book 4 i think right now.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #168 on: 11/ 19/ 2016, 10:53:39 AM »
How was that third Expanse book? I have read the first two, but I don't know if I should go for the other ones.

I also want to recommend "Normal" by Warren Ellis. It is short, very inventive and has somewhat of a Black Mirror vibe. Really cool.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
« Reply #169 on: 11/ 19/ 2016, 01:33:43 PM »
i liked the third one. i liked it better than the second one, i think. so far none of them have really been a disappointment.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #170 on: 11/ 19/ 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
I accidentally tune out audio books. I'm too preoccupied to concentrate. I'm not as bad on podcasts, but still miss bits.

I read a couple of Mercedes Lackey's "Elemental Masters" books, but stalled out on the third installment. The series is basically Avatar (the cartoon) meets Grimm's fairy tales. I'll pick them back up, since each new book doesn't really refer to the previous elementalist much.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40363-elemental-masters

Started reading The Paper Magician and while it had a chance to be super exciting, like Read or Die, it's more like reading a Resident Evil type of book, where the main character is mostly running away and slowing down the bad guy. I'll finish it, but I don't know if I'm going to continue reading the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20727654-the-paper-magician

and finally, I'm reading Genius: In their own words
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/842141.Genius_in_Their_Own_Words
Which is part historical and part autobiographical. Frankly, I feel a bit stupid because I can't remember much from my old Philosophy classes, so I have to stop and look up philosophy movements and such. I'm mainly in it to learn about Bertrand Russell. I've heard some of his thoughts and am intrigued by his "Celestial Teapot" explanation of why he's agnostic.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #171 on: 11/ 27/ 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
Almost done with Anthony Ryan's "The Waking Fire". It's got dragons and a very cool system of magic type stuff. It is set in a kind of steam punk corporate world that is very much alive. Too bad that the general story gets kinda boring after the first halve. The reason for everything seems so shallow and just kind of boring. The action is alright and if you like yourself a pie with party dragon, parts Indiana Jones, some James Bond and a nice bit of sea battles this is gonna be entertaining for a bit. Don't expect too much though, get it as a nice and small paperback.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
    • All You Can Eat
« Reply #172 on: 03/ 16/ 2017, 04:44:26 PM »
We carry the -gatari books at the bookstore now. This is weird. And awesome. But I don't think they are for me...

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #173 on: 03/ 18/ 2017, 03:56:12 AM »
It's amazing that they're finally being translated and published here.

Shaft's animation and the voice acting really brings a lot to the series so I can see why it is really difficult to get into the book series. It's a totally different monster that took me a good few chapters to get into it.

I haven't seen it in book stores but I have seen the series at my local comic book store.

They also released the cover for the last Bakemonogatari book recently

Looks waay better than the second one.

ive been reading 1Q84, but its been slow going. thats mostly my fault, because im lazy and it basically takes me having nothing else to do before i sit down to read, even if i really enjoy the book im reading.

Dunno why I'm only just seeing this now. Dude I frickin' love Murakami and that book I couldn't put down!
His stuff can border on plain everyday life but for some reason that really engrosses me.
Gotta say I think 1Q84 is probably his best work, it mixes slice of life (if you can call it that in fiction), thriller, mystery, and paranomal.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
« Reply #174 on: 03/ 19/ 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
i think im gonna restart it as an audiobook. i can listen at work so its a lot easier to get through books by listening these days. ive forgotten all of what ive read at this point.