Wu-tang Clan
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Wu-tang Clan  (Read 6570 times)

Ramalho

• nubbin
  • Can an e-peen have a boner?
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #20 on: 05/ 19/ 2010, 08:19:24 AM »
I'm not a big hip-hop guy anymore, but, I do enjoy some wu-tang sometimes. Lately I have only been listening to the Wu-Tang Vs Beatles mix some DJ made, it's awesome and some of the beats fit better into the song than the original ones. I recommend it.

McChicken116

• nubbin
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #21 on: 05/ 19/ 2010, 09:49:43 PM »

YES! I have recently started listening to the Bands music, and wow are they good.

Raggamofyn

• nubbin
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #22 on: 05/ 19/ 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
I'm not a big hip-hop guy anymore, but, I do enjoy some wu-tang sometimes. Lately I have only been listening to the Wu-Tang Vs Beatles mix some DJ made, it's awesome and some of the beats fit better into the song than the original ones. I recommend it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70-woJJdag" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70-woJJdag</a>

Yusssssssssss

Wintersocks

• Motivational Mountain Mover
  •   
  • Socks 2: Knit Harder
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry SCIENCE! Bears Dancing with Myself Happy Babies! Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #23 on: 05/ 24/ 2010, 03:03:37 PM »
Yessssssssssssssssss...

low tech

• nubbin
  • Comaon! GIT SIRIIAAHS!
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #24 on: 06/ 03/ 2010, 02:54:57 AM »
My Wu folder is 1.72 gigs. It could stand to be bigger.

Supreme Clientele and TICAL are two of my favorites. As well as OBCL I/II. And-- maybe I should stop before I rattle off the entire catalog lol

Masta Killa doesn't get enough recognition however. His two albums were very good, and seen as a sort of return to form for the group. No Said Date in particular is pretty awesome. I recommend it.

pixelheresy

• nubbin
  • Badges Happy Babies!
    • pixelheresy on Twitter
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #25 on: 06/ 07/ 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
There is certainly something transcendent about the random yet furious and rich cavalcade that is the Wu-Tang Clan. It is so urban and hard (quite outside the realm of immediate experience to most of the cushy suburban gamer geeks in this forum), but it is the realization of (primarily) late-90's early 2000's post-gangsta rap, boiling down (and arguably out) the hard hip-hop swagger and leaving highly-charged and deceptively complex music, regardless of the subject matter. Particularly with the varying styles, speeds, tones and cadences of the Clan (and especially their associated acts, who show up on their albums) Wu-Tang is not so much a single act, but a "school" of hip-hop.

I am not against (albeit not a huge fan) of the hip hop of their contemporaries, but where the other branches either tried to go back to more "old-school-esque" sample-based [R&B mostly] hip-hop with more progressive lyrical styles [Jay-Z or even Puff Daddy/P.Diddy, which frankly I enjoyed only for their retro hooks and not their rapping] or full out money/bitches/cars kind of content [I am looking at you 50-Cent] which holds on to the least likable aspects of the "thug/gangsta" era, the Wu-Tang still centered on the experience of life, the brutal, the brilliant, the sexual, the violent, the sublime, in a really raw kind of way. They paved the way for more [as in number, not necessarily quality, since I think they are all great] brilliant acts like Black Star [Mos Def & Talib Kweli], MF Doom [who was around forever, but hit his stride in the 2000's], and others.

In the end, the Wu-Tang style, even when the content seems overblown and hyperbolic, is intensely personal and emotional, which makes it really great to listen to.

My favorites actually tend to be the compilations with "friends" like The Swarm & The Sting, but Iron Flag for the cardinal albums.

I am not a huge hip-hop connoisseur (it really only accounts for maybe 1/5 of what I listen to) but Wu-Tang is definitely awesome stuff.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #26 on: 06/ 07/ 2010, 10:25:57 AM »
I've always wondered what today's (popular) hip-hop would be like if the Wu-Tang style of music (gritty, raw, razorblade style rhymes and beats) took the place of Gangsta Rap (in terms of popularity etc.). Because let's face it almost nothing has influenced hip-hop/rap more than Gangsta Rap (sadly).

But that almost brings up an East VS West coast, which is another subject matter entirely. Aside from Biggie and Tupac thing (neither of which i was a fan of) I am def an East Coast Hip-Hop defender.

low tech

• nubbin
  • Comaon! GIT SIRIIAAHS!
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #27 on: 06/ 07/ 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
I've always wondered what today's (popular) hip-hop would be like if the Wu-Tang style of music (gritty, raw, razorblade style rhymes and beats) took the place of Gangsta Rap (in terms of popularity etc.).

I'm assuming it would sound a lot like what Babygrande Records puts out lol. (Jedi Mind Tricks, Cannabis, Army of the Pharaohs, etc.)

As for semantics, I'd still place Wu in the gangster rap genre. Albeit tinged with realism, tragedy, and awareness of consequences, their lyrics past and present still heavily feature crime such as robbery, heists, drug trading, etc. The group may not glorify the gangster lifestyle all too often (save for the Chef), but that component is still predominantly featured lyrically.

low tech

• nubbin
  • Comaon! GIT SIRIIAAHS!
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #28 on: 06/ 07/ 2010, 02:59:58 PM »
On another note, has anyone seen the list of affiliates on Wikipedia? Dear God, I knew it was a lot, but had no idea it was that many. o_O

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #29 on: 06/ 07/ 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
On another note, has anyone seen the list of affiliates on Wikipedia? Dear God, I knew it was a lot, but had no idea it was that many. o_O

ive only heard a small percentage of that list but Trife Da God is awesome so is Arabian Knight and Mathematics is pretty solid producer.

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #30 on: 06/ 11/ 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
Maybe some of the solo stuff from the artists would be more to your liking. Like the new RZA album.

for sure. I don't know if it's straight up RZA or Wu-Tang, but I'm really diggin' the song Tragedy and Let Me at Them

low tech

• nubbin
  • Comaon! GIT SIRIIAAHS!
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #31 on: 06/ 13/ 2010, 12:13:31 AM »
ive only heard a small percentage of that list

Lol me too. And I've been listening to rap for most of my life! Apparently, most of those guys are relatively unknown to begin with.

but Trife Da God is awesome so is Arabian Knight and Mathematics is pretty solid producer.

Agreed. (Killah) Priest is also one that I like a lot. He errs on the spiritual and esoteric most of the time, like in this song:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpIkOXgAmg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpIkOXgAmg</a>

Dead Movie Star

• nubbin
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #32 on: 06/ 28/ 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
I hear the Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with. Where should I start listening, album wise?

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #33 on: 06/ 29/ 2010, 03:07:45 PM »
36 chambers without question

Dead Movie Star

• nubbin
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #34 on: 06/ 29/ 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
36 chambers without question

... Guess that makes perfect sense.

36 Chambers makes Amazon MP3 freak out, and Enter The Wu-Tang does not have a page proper or it's broken. In fact, Amazon does not seem to be a big fan of Wu-Tang at the moment.

"Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site"

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #35 on: 06/ 29/ 2010, 03:49:05 PM »
yea if you're looking for an actual Wu album to listen to then 36 Chambers. If your looking to follow on of the core Wu members solo efforts then that all depends on which style you like.

I don't listen to all of Wu Solo albums but i rate the artist like so

GZA - Lyrically sharp hasn't let me down with any of his albums beats are also usually tightly produced.
Ghostface Killah - his lyrics are all over the map and usually take a few listens to make sense of still he is a great artist.
Raekwon
Method Man
RZA - his beats are better than his rhymes most often.
ODB - i love him on the Wu albums but i can't handle his solo efforts very raw very out there. (RIP)
Deck
U-GOD
Masta Killa
Cappadonna

the last two are probably interchangeable.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #36 on: 07/ 01/ 2010, 12:31:27 AM »
wow, Redman didn't make the list?

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #37 on: 07/ 01/ 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
wow, Redman didn't make the list?

redman has rapped with method man but he isn't a core member of the wu. also i never really listened to redman as a solo artist or his two colab albums with method man. I never really followed method man besides his 1st solo album tical.

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #38 on: 07/ 01/ 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
I've seen this guy in that exact spot, he is amazing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_22IE2ZTiE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_22IE2ZTiE</a>

Dead Movie Star

• nubbin
Wu-tang Clan
« Reply #39 on: 07/ 01/ 2010, 05:32:17 PM »
I got Liquid Swords first on an acquaintance's recommendation, and it's pretty grand.

... And now I want 36 Chambers more.