Battles
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Battles  (Read 2595 times)

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« on: 05/ 07/ 2010, 02:26:04 AM »
Hands down my fave band of possibly the last five years easily.

I like to call it "creative chaos" their style def isnt for everyone but if you even remotely dig them i highly highly highly suggest you see them live. Everything, every single sound effect, melody, riff, etc is played live, looped live, sampled live there is no trickery no smoke and mirrors just their knowledge of the gear they play and use. I was lucky enough to see them once in an intimate setting (Satellite Ballroom, Charlottesville VA) and once at 9:30 club.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0iPFqgsLU8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0iPFqgsLU8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LvoBRS1Mk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LvoBRS1Mk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44kzQMixZ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44kzQMixZ0</a>

Jesus H Christ

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night
Battles
« Reply #1 on: 05/ 07/ 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
One of my favorite recent bands too. They have a really good energetic vibe going for them without being too aggressive.

Tonto and SZ2 = God tier

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Battles
« Reply #2 on: 05/ 07/ 2010, 05:09:04 PM »
I've heard some of their stuff before. Definitely awesome. I have yet to acquire any of their music yet, but I shall soon.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #3 on: 05/ 22/ 2010, 01:32:24 PM »
Just heard that Battles are going to release a new song on the Twilight Eclipse soundtrack...i dont really know how i feel about that but if i was them i'd probably do the same thing it fucking pays the bills.

love this track
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx98_VObZCw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx98_VObZCw</a>

TheCleaningGuy

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night
    • Siliconera
Battles
« Reply #4 on: 05/ 25/ 2010, 01:19:26 AM »
I'm not sure about the whole Twilight Soundtrack thing, but I do like that this implies that they're working on new music... which could lead to a new album!

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 26/ 2010, 08:36:54 AM »
I'm not sure about the whole Twilight Soundtrack thing, but I do like that this implies that they're working on new music... which could lead to a new album!

Yes indeed a new album would be wonderful and i'd probably do the same thing if Twilight people came to me and asked if they could have a song of mine in their album.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #6 on: 06/ 02/ 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
wish i wasnt at work so i could listen to this.

www.eclipsesoundtrack.com

new battles song up for listen for 24hours only.
« Last Edit: 06/ 02/ 2010, 10:44:27 PM by xibalba »

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #7 on: 08/ 06/ 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
FUCK!!!!!!!!!
Tyondai Braxton ("vocals", guitar, keys) left the band :/ wtf

Tyondai apperently doesn't want to tour and wants to focus on his solo music.

Sad day indeed but i guess Battles will keep on moving forward.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #8 on: 08/ 19/ 2010, 01:14:24 PM »
http://vimeo.com/14269477

mcnyers

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Secret Santa 2010
Battles
« Reply #9 on: 08/ 26/ 2010, 03:04:20 AM »
I don't know about the twilight soundtrack, but mirrors is a terrific album.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #10 on: 08/ 26/ 2010, 07:54:28 AM »
i wasn't digging the song when i heard it.

DecepticonsAttack

•   
  • calmer than you are
  • Badges Beedog Approved Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
    • sheeeeeeeee
Battles
« Reply #11 on: 08/ 26/ 2010, 10:37:52 AM »
I haven't heard a hell of alot from these guys, but if you dig this you guys should really check out Don Caballero, they're slightly heavier
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoGhFMgdquA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoGhFMgdquA</a>

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #12 on: 08/ 26/ 2010, 10:40:49 AM »
Yea one of the guys was in Don Caballero before he joined up with Battles. I like there stuff but prefer Battles over Caballero.

DecepticonsAttack

•   
  • calmer than you are
  • Badges Beedog Approved Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
    • sheeeeeeeee
Battles
« Reply #13 on: 08/ 26/ 2010, 10:50:32 AM »
I didn't know that, I love this kind of instrumental noodling, glad to see theres other fans here. I highly recommed Dysrrythmia too but thats alot more thrashy.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #14 on: 08/ 26/ 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
I like thrashy will have to check them out when i get home :D

DecepticonsAttack

•   
  • calmer than you are
    • sheeeeeeeee
Battles
« Reply #15 on: 08/ 26/ 2010, 11:01:36 AM »
boom
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaChHrnuWv8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaChHrnuWv8</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxbRinkpeY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxbRinkpeY</a>
« Last Edit: 08/ 26/ 2010, 11:29:39 AM by DecepticonsAttack »

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #16 on: 02/ 10/ 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
Finally some news regarding their new album via their twitter. There is a picture of their studio setup on the link.

http://pitchfork.com/news/41505-battles-talk-lineup-change-new-album/

When I spoke with berserking Battles drummer John Stanier about the group's then-in-progress second album in June 2009, he said: "It would take years for us to finish if we had unlimited time to work on it." Fast-forward almost two years and the experimental rockers are finally finished with their follow-up to 2007's much-loved Mirrored. The as-yet-untitled record is tentatively due in early summer on Warp. But its gestation didn't come without setbacks-- in the middle of a studio session last summer, multi-instrumentalist and vocalist Tyondai Braxton left the band.

On a slushy day last week, I met with Battles guitarist-bassist Dave Konopka at a classy, dark-wooded restaurant in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn to chat about the lineup change and the now-trio's new material. Recorded at the same Rhode Island studio (Machines With Magnets) and with the same engineers (Keith Souza and Seth Manchester) as Mirrored, the new album really came together in the months after Braxton's departure. And while it includes reworked tracks written when he was still in the band, Braxton is not featured on the record at all.

To help fill Braxton's absence, Konopka, Stanier, and multi-instrumentalist Ian Williams asked a few guests, including Boredom's Eye, to lend vocals to some of the new songs. The final result feels like "more of an accomplishment than Mirrored" partly due to its stressful creation, Konopka said.

Read on for the full Q&A:

Pitchfork: When Tyondai left the band, did you guys think about ending Battles or changing the name of the group?

Dave Konopka: Not at all. It wasn't even a consideration. I'm not going to candy-coat it-- the situation was kind of dark. The three of us argued and were pissed off after Ty left but we were like, "Fuck that. That's chapter's closed. Let's move on." From there, the most important thing was to maintain the integrity of what the band means to us and to carry on with it. When Ty left over the summer, we were close to having an album's worth of material-- we had put so much energy into the project and then we had to re-establish ourselves as a three-piece. The end result is a culmination of reworked things we'd been putting together the past couple years and some newer songs.

Pitchfork: So you guys were in the studio when he left?

DK: Yeah, we were getting close to what we were going to commit to as an album. Looking back, I totally would have regretted releasing the album that we had at that point, though. Not that the music was bad, but there wasn't a team effort. Around that point last year, we started booking shows for October. It was a wake-up call, and Ty didn't feel as committed to upholding our commitments and obligations. I think he was just overwhelmed with the amount of work that it takes to be a successful band on the road, which is totally fine-- it's just one person's perspective versus any other's.

But playing live is really important to the three of us, and it brought up a fundamental disagreement about the future of the band. I was not willing to let Battles become more of a side-project type of band. We have so much invested in this-- it's our livelihood. Battles isn't just a garage band to us. It's unfortunate that Ty leaving the band is part of the narrative because it's really more about Ian, John, and I rising to the occasion and creating an album that we're all very happy with.

Pitchfork: How did the lineup change affect the songs on the new album?

DK: There was a lot of new space to work with but the album is still crazy-- it doesn't sound like we're a three-piece. It also opened up a lot of doors for us to collaborate with some really great vocalists like Matias Aguayo from Kompakt Records and Eye from the Boredoms. There are two more guests I can't talk about just yet. And all the vocalists are really integrated into the music, it's not like, "Why is Chris Martin on this Battles song?" [laughs]
Pitchfork: Is the new record as musically varied as Mirrored?

DK: There's a good spectrum-- some shorter songs, some poppier songs, some total rock songs, some more out-there songs, some manic songs, a semi hip-hop-vibe song.

There's one called "Inchworm" that's based on a four-hour jam I did by myself in our practice space-- which reminds me of this guy upstairs from our space who kept knocking on our door and losing his shit. He'd go, "You guys are driving me... "-- and his voice started cracking because he was so angry-- "fucking insane." He was like, "It sounds like you're dropping a fucking anvil down here! I don't know what type of music this is but even people that like your music don't like your music!" So maybe that gives you an indication of how good this album is going to be. [laughs]

Pitchfork: I'd say that's a positive sign.

DK: Yeah, it feels like such a free, fun, summery album to me. When we listened to it as a whole, it felt like so much more of an accomplishment than Mirrored. It was a really emotional couple years to get it all together. You don't really associate our music with that emotional thing, but I cried like a fucking baby when I first heard it. [laughs]

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Battles
« Reply #17 on: 04/ 09/ 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
the new album seems to have leaked...
Wondering if that is realistic...

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Battles
« Reply #18 on: 07/ 07/ 2011, 10:06:36 AM »
Picked up their new album Gloss Drop a while ago (about a mth ago) and honestly it doesn't stand out as their previous effort Mirrored.  This album it seems they reused a lot of the keyboard sounds throughout the entire album, which normally isn't a bad thing but the setting they use is kinda plunkey/tonkey sound that has not depth/reverb or any other added effects to it (kind of hard to explain without hearing it).  Anothering thing missing and this has to deal with their live show is the fact that they now have to rely on previously setup "samples" instead of recording/sampling live as they did when they had 4 members and of course that is the key element since Braxton left the band to pursue his solo jazz career.  This left Battles as a three piece but this doesn't change the fact that they still have a lot of depth to their new songs it just seems a little more structure and rigid instead of airy and flowing like their last album. 

I still think this effort is a lot better than if Braxton would've stuck with the band because they did release a track on the last Twilight movie soundtrack that was, simply put garbage.  And although this is their sophmore not sophmore album (before Braxton left they pretty much had a complete album that they scrapped) I still think Mirrored is a fair better effort than Gloss Drop BUT don't let that discourage you from obtaining it because there are still quite a few gems worth giving your ears a listen.

mcnyers

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Secret Santa 2010
Battles
« Reply #19 on: 07/ 22/ 2011, 10:37:54 AM »
My brother just saw them in concert and got a drumstick.

One might say that I am considerably jelly