So how do we go about getting Topher a backup HDD?
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: So how do we go about getting Topher a backup HDD?  (Read 6851 times)

thesillyoldbear

• nubbin
    • The Bear Reviews
« on: 05/ 15/ 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
Any ideas?

Sean

•   
  • merry...
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #1 on: 05/ 15/ 2010, 06:35:44 AM »
HDD?
Care to educate an idiot?

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #2 on: 05/ 15/ 2010, 07:50:57 AM »
An HDD us a hard drive.  However I'm not sure this is even possible since he uses Mac.  Might be, don't know. I have very little knowledge of Mac.

Electrium

• nubbin
« Reply #3 on: 05/ 15/ 2010, 11:27:27 AM »
Macs are definitely compatible with HDDs.  I have a friend who uses one.

You gotta' be careful though, you can't just buy any HDD.  Some brands just aren't reliable.

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
« Reply #4 on: 05/ 15/ 2010, 12:00:53 PM »
yeah, Mac's can use any external HDD as long as it uses a USB port i'm pretty sure. My favorites (and what I find most reliable) are Seagate hard drives. I've got a Seagate Freeagent Go and it works pretty well

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 15/ 2010, 12:02:33 PM »
im using an iomega with my mac havent had any problems with it so far. i dont know if Topher has the lastest incarnation of the mac os but the latest one has a thing called time machine. which means, on my external hdd i partitioned it into two partitions one which only accesses time machine and the other i can put whatever i want on it and accesses it like a normal external. What time machine does is it automatically backsup your stuff whenever you put new stuff on it. Worst explanation probably but i hope you get the idea.

Theofrostus

• nubbin
« Reply #6 on: 05/ 15/ 2010, 06:32:13 PM »
An external backup would be a great idea. Or something like Carbonite's online backup. From what I remember it's not too expensive and it backs up everything. I've never used it personally though.

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
« Reply #7 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
An external backup would be a great idea. Or something like Carbonite's online backup. From what I remember it's not too expensive and it backs up everything. I've never used it personally though.

actually yeah, an online backup might work a little bit better, but I've never used one so I guess you'd just have to find one that actually works well and doesn't crap out

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #8 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
i think online backup sites are sketch no matter how secure they are, not having the actual data at an IRL arms reach is rather scary. You can always just buy an external inclosure and an internal hdd and put the two together, that way if the hdd in the internal craps out you can just swap it.

and on an unrelated note, how i long for the days where flash and solid state drives are 500+ gb and are cheap as fuck.

Theofrostus

• nubbin
« Reply #9 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
It's true that some of the online backups may be sketchy, but it could be a good idea. If something were to get stolen or fire/flood etc. and everything was gone, an external HDD wouldn't help. And I agree with your sentiment about SSD's. God I want one so bad.

Sean

•   
  • merry...
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #10 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 07:51:50 PM »
Back to the question at hand..
What would be the best to use in terms of work on TJS?

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
    • Keenan Payne
« Reply #11 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 08:50:04 PM »
right, right, right. back to business.

I'm thinking a good and reliable external HDD instead of an online. what do you guys think?

EffingDrYang

•   
  • Koromaru
  • Badges Spotted Memebon Rockstar
« Reply #12 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
This sounds like a great idea. Too bad we missed his birthday.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #13 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 10:45:16 PM »
A photographer that I forgot the name of said that nothing exists unless there's at least 3 copies of it. 1 on the main computer, 1 off the computer like on an external, and 1 off site, as in in the cloud or physically at a relative's or friend's house across the country. That way you back up the backup. I've suggested that topher look into www.dropbox.com for automated backups and the huge storage that google gives you for gmail. Dropbox is pretty much carbonite but free for 2gb.

Manic Maverick

• Fu Boy
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #14 on: 05/ 16/ 2010, 11:25:32 PM »
Agreed with Calpis, though we should work on getting The Toph an external before anything else. I couldn't contribute much, since I don't have much money myself, but I'd still like to contribute something.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #15 on: 05/ 17/ 2010, 07:44:17 AM »
Give me until Friday (payday) to contribute.

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
    • Keenan Payne
« Reply #16 on: 05/ 17/ 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
yeah I don't have a ton but I'd definitely pitch what I can ;)

EffingDrYang

•   
  • Koromaru
« Reply #17 on: 05/ 17/ 2010, 09:46:28 PM »
As will I. Topher you need a donate button! This would make things much easier.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #18 on: 05/ 17/ 2010, 09:47:32 PM »
Y'alls crazy. Also, I do have a donate button.

EffingDrYang

•   
  • Koromaru
« Reply #19 on: 05/ 17/ 2010, 09:47:58 PM »
wat where!