Jimquisition
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Jimquisition  (Read 2664 times)

Eoin

• nubbin
  • My BRAINSPLOSION
    • Mindlaser
Jimquisition
« on: 07/ 09/ 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
hope this is the right place for this

With the new Jimquisition having just arrived (warning, there is some really disturbing shit in there), I thought that I'd make an official Jimquisition thread where we can discuss it.

So what did everyone think of the Jimquisition?

I think it's a good replacement for Rev Rants and the newest one was the best argument I've seen against the whole "Video games desensitise people against violence" argument. 

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
Jimquisition
« Reply #1 on: 07/ 09/ 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
while it was disturbing, I think he got his point across perfectly. having never seen the guy shooting himself video before, I wasn't desensitized to it I don't think, and it was fucked up. The way video games do it and the way that it's done in real life is nothing alike.

Eoin

• nubbin
  • My BRAINSPLOSION
    • Mindlaser
Jimquisition
« Reply #2 on: 07/ 09/ 2010, 05:36:32 PM »
while it was disturbing, I think he got his point across perfectly. having never seen the guy shooting himself video before, I wasn't desensitized to it I don't think, and it was fucked up. The way video games do it and the way that it's done in real life is nothing alike.

I know I was recovering from the shock as I wrote the post

Danny

• Brithandsome
  •   
  • Baby, you'd look good in a dumpster.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Rockmelon Game Night Beedog Approved Sauninda Manly Man Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
Jimquisition
« Reply #3 on: 07/ 09/ 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
I wasn't affected by the Bud Dwyer thing, simply because I've seen it before. However, real violence still freaks me out.

MoonStorm

• nubbin
  • Aaaaaaaaaa.
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE!
Jimquisition
« Reply #4 on: 07/ 09/ 2010, 09:40:39 PM »
Real violence is messy just watch any of the military stuff films on the net. I can see why he chose this one thought. It was a well know and well documented event that already had a lot of press. So no one could blame him for showing such a scene but still make a point.

Mad_March_Harris

• nubbin
Jimquisition
« Reply #5 on: 07/ 09/ 2010, 10:29:42 PM »
People will never be able to train themselves to deal with death through games because it only engages one sense. No matter how many images of exploded heads you see on 4chan you aren't prepared with deal with how death smells.

It is pretty surprising how people don't realize how massive the disconnect between virtual reality and actual reality is though. Nobody would sensibly claim that tv dramas educate people on what it's like to be a doctor because none of them depict it accurately. And when they are accurate it's during a crisis which by definition is an abnormal situation. Maybe games might train some people to sort of have an idea of what war might be like during an ambush but that's about it. Nothing else depicted is really even remotely accurate at all.

LTGDomo

• nubbin
Jimquisition
« Reply #6 on: 07/ 09/ 2010, 11:51:52 PM »
Whoa. Way to make a point...damn. No amount of M rated games or R rated movies can numb you to the point were stuff like that doesn't effect ya. Media is nothing compared to the real deal. Great argument. Kudos 

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Jimquisition
« Reply #7 on: 07/ 10/ 2010, 12:30:48 AM »
ive seen the bud shooting before and that is something i dont want to see again.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Jimquisition
« Reply #8 on: 07/ 10/ 2010, 01:52:32 AM »
I've always enjoyed hearing Jim's point of view on things, so I was really excited when he announced the new series. This week's has easily been the best so far, but I have a feeling the next one will top it if he uses the subject he mentioned on his twitter.

Eoin

• nubbin
  • My BRAINSPLOSION
    • Mindlaser
Jimquisition
« Reply #9 on: 07/ 10/ 2010, 03:23:45 AM »
People will never be able to train themselves to deal with death through games because it only engages one sense. No matter how many images of exploded heads you see on 4chan you aren't prepared with deal with how death smells.

It is pretty surprising how people don't realize how massive the disconnect between virtual reality and actual reality is though. Nobody would sensibly claim that tv dramas educate people on what it's like to be a doctor because none of them depict it accurately. And when they are accurate it's during a crisis which by definition is an abnormal situation. Maybe games might train some people to sort of have an idea of what war might be like during an ambush but that's about it. Nothing else depicted is really even remotely accurate at all.
Considering that Scrubs is probably the most realistic of all hospital dramas (it is fairly realistic when it's not making jokes) people really don't understand stuff like that and that's why medicine has such a high drop out rate

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
Jimquisition
« Reply #10 on: 07/ 10/ 2010, 03:44:22 AM »
Considering that Scrubs is probably the most realistic of all hospital dramas

Ironic.

FalconReaper

•   
  • Zangetsu. He's Kinda OP
  • Badges Inufantry Spotted Memebon Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Jimquisition
« Reply #11 on: 07/ 10/ 2010, 04:27:06 AM »
Ironic.

I was going to use Oxymoron but that also works

Manic Maverick

• Fu Boy
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Jimquisition
« Reply #12 on: 07/ 10/ 2010, 06:36:56 AM »
I'm definitely enjoying the Jimquisition. It's interesting to have read Jim's tweets asking people what he should name the show, and then seeing the name he stuck with. I always wonder how the intro would look if he'd gone with Jimplosion. XD

Anyway. The recent episode was great. He made more sense than a lot of people have in years. And this video game issue has gone on long enough that we really need to bring out the big guns, which Jim did in the video.

But in the end, the dumb fucks who are trying to bring down the gaming world will die off and it'll be the 70s all over again. And the 70s were cool groovy.

Space Doctor

• nubbin
  • jus chillin dawg
Jimquisition
« Reply #13 on: 08/ 24/ 2010, 09:18:28 AM »
its nice n all but it aint no videogame show what ive done

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
Jimquisition
« Reply #14 on: 08/ 24/ 2010, 04:42:58 PM »
If the violence in video games ever became so real that you couldn't tell the difference between video game violence and real life violence then I would just stop playing them.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Jimquisition
« Reply #15 on: 09/ 17/ 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
I watched a Jimquisition!

http://www.destructoid.com/the-jimquisition-super-powers-are-super-sh-t-184154.phtml

And I'd rather respond here because I really hate blog response formats.

I think what Jim is asking for in superhero games is a writer on staff that should have nothing else to do but join gameplay with the characters and story elements.  Anthony talked about that in one of the podtoids.

From what I've read in reviews, that was really lacking in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.  In fact, because it was a linear game, as opposed to the long line of sandboxes before it, there was no excuse.  Really neat concepts, graphics, and crossovers won't get you far if you don't make use of them.  The same level design over and over...why did they bother giving the game such a large marketing pull if that's all they were going to do?

Same thing with inFamous.  I don't think they should throw out the challenge of having enemies just as powerful as you, but there needs to be parts in the game where you do feel like you have power.  The writing staff didn't play with that concept enough, and so they have a very repetitive game that just opens up the corral of enemies that the game designers have peddled out, without any direction other than 'wear the guy out in numbers.'