FAQ and New User Guide
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: FAQ and New User Guide  (Read 1663 times)

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
FAQ and New User Guide
« on: 09/ 24/ 2010, 01:37:55 AM »
  New User Guide

Hey, new guy. Or girl. Thanks for joining us, and welcome! Now that you're here, you might be wondering how things work around this joint. Or maybe you're a salty old vet who's joined a forum or two in your time, but you're unfamiliar with our unique memes and lingo and you want to know what the hell is going on. This guide is for you.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Woo, I'm registered! Now what?

Uploading an avatar would be a good start. Just hover over the "PROFILE" link in the nav bar at the top of the page and you'll see it in the dropdown menu. You can upload one to our server, or use one hosted somewhere else if you prefer. Doesn't matter to us, as long as you've got one. And I don't care what it is, as long as it's relatively SFW and not obnoxious. Seriously though, if you plan to post here, you must have an avatar.

If you're gonna be sticking around, it'll help us all get to know you better/faster if we've got a face to put to a name. I normally give new users about a day to figure something out before I pick one for them, and if that happens I can pretty much promise you won't like what I give you. :3 Harsh? Some people might think so, but really: It's not a lot to ask.

I has picture. Now what?

Make sure you've read the Forum Rules. Next up, it'd be a good idea to make an intro post. It isn't technically required, but it'll sure save you a lot of funny looks. It greatly improves your chances of not being completely ignored if we know who the hell you are before you start jumping into conversations. Also, you'll probably receive a warm welcome, replete with pictures of delicious foods and desserts, because that's just how my people seem to roll. We're a friendly bunch, so as long as you tell us a little about yourself first, you'll get along here just fine.

It says I'm a nubbin. Wut is nubbin?

A nubbin is a puppy. Or a kitten. Or anything new to the world and not yet up to speed on what's happening. In this case, you. Don't worry, after you start posting, your nubbin status will eventually be lifted and you'll be a regular member.

I'm ready. How do I work this thing?

Same as any other forum, pretty much. If you're really new to this, here's a guide to how the forum software works.

________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________ _____________________________
___________________________________________________________ _____________________________

Frequently Asked Questions

Please note first of all that a lot of stuff doesn't work yet if you're still a nubbin. Some features are disabled until you've been active long enough to give us some semblance of confidence that you're not just here to sell us boner pills or something. If your nubbin status has been lifted and you still can't find what you're looking for, then feel free to post in the support thread. Some other stuff you might be wondering about is as follows:

How do I post pictures/videos/other stuff?

When you reply to a thread, there will be buttons above the text input box that have the usual options covered. Most of this stuff is handled using BBCode, so if you click on one of the buttons it will automatically enter the appropriate tags into the box below so you can see what they are. Or you can enter the tags manually:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://imageURLhere[/img]

A note about images:
We strongly discourage hotlinking. And by strongly, I mean if we see a hotlinked image we'll probably delete it. [Why?]

If you're going to post an image, please use a proper hosting service. Flickr, Photobucket or anyplace that's willing to give you BBCode or a "Share this image" link is perfectly acceptable, but we recommend Imgur, because it's awesome. They even give you the finished BBCode after you upload a pic so you don't have to bother with it. We use it so much we even put a link above the text input box when you reply to a post, so you can upload on the fly, all speedy-like. (It'll open in a new tab so you don't have to stop what you're doing.)

Browsing the forum from a smartphone? You can still upload images.

- Here's an official Imgur app for Android
          - Here's an iPhone app that lets you upload to Imgur right from your camera or photo library
          - For all other smartphones, you can do the same thing via your phone's browser by saving this script as a bookmark:
javascript:void(location.href='http://myopiclunacy.com/upgur.php?url='+location.href)

[Thanks to Jack Hollow for the smartphone tips]

Links:
[url]http://rockmelonsoda.com[/url]
Result: http://rockmelonsoda.com

Or if you want to put a link into alternate text,
[url=http://rockmelonsoda.com]Text you want us to see[/url]
Result: Text you want us to see

Video:
Easy beans. Just paste the video page URL right into your post and the forum will automatically embed it. Isn't that lovely?
(Try to keep it to no more than 2 or 3 videos per post so our browsers don't melt.)

Everyone has badges. I want some. Wait, wut is badge?

Badges are neat little pictures on your forum profile that you get for doing stuff. Or being stuff. Or other stuff.
This guide to badges and their meanings should explain everything.

People are posting pancakes. Wut is pancake?

Mmmm, pancakes. This is a bit difficult to explain. Pancakes are sort of our way of ending an unwanted conversation, or at least very strongly suggesting that it should end. When debates get a little too heated or someone doesn't like where the conversation is going, you might start seeing pictures of pancakes. That's our way of saying, "We're done here. Next subject. Now."

You pretty much can't argue with it. If you're mid-debate with somebody and they call pancakes, that debate is over. Doesn't always necessarily mean they're right, or they're the "winner", it just means the conversation has ended. It's done, and nobody's interested in your final words on the matter. Over. Next topic of discussion starts now.

If you're rabbling back and forth with someone and everyone else starts posting pancakes, that means you should probably take your little catfight elsewhere. The rest of the forum has had enough of whatever it is you're doing. This should usually be taken pretty seriously. Similarly, if a moderator calls pancakes, you need to STFU quick and move on to something else. This means you're about to get yourself in trouble. Maybe you should calm down. Have a pancake.

Of course, there does exist the possibility that people are posting pancakes simply because we like pancakes. Intro threads, for instance. Someone might welcome you with delicious pancakes, and this is a good thing, completely unrelated to the above. But if you suddenly see them in a thread where it seems they don't quite belong, it's most likely because whatever you're currently doing doesn't belong there, either.

Some weird video is on the front index and people are celebrating. Wut is Ready to Friday?

It's Friday, and we're all celebrating the arrival of the weekend. It's kind of like Christmas, only it happens every week, and instead of presents you get two days of freedom from your oppressors. Also, some weird video. It's a thing we do. You'll get used to it.

Memebon is on the front index and people are screaming. Wait, wut is Memebon?

Memebon-sama is a great and powerful force for good in the universe. Some believe her to be a deity, though most dare not speculate as to her origin nor makeup. All that is known for certain of The Memebon is that she reigns as guardian and protector of the forums. You would do well to greet and welcome her, should she grace us with her magnificent presence.

Wut is love?

Baby, don't hurt me.

I have some other question or thing. Wut is I am do?

If you're having trouble with anything not covered in the FAQ or guide here, post your questions in the support forum, and someone will be along shortly to help you out. If something's really broken, you can send an email to support[at]rockmelonsoda.com and I or Calpis will get you taken care of.

« Last Edit: 09/ 11/ 2011, 07:27:49 AM by Topher »