Headphones!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Headphones!  (Read 26908 times)

TheCleaningGuy

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night
    • Siliconera
Headphones!
« on: 11/ 03/ 2010, 11:16:07 PM »
Please forgive me if this doesn't belong in the Music section, but I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones.
I figured, there's no better way to get recommendations than to ask you lovely people about your favorites, and we needed a place to talk about headphones anyway!

I'm currently using a pair of Shure SE115s in Red. I love their bass response (surprising for something their size) and how well they block out sound. Sadly, they're starting to get a bit beaten up, but I love them anyway!

Sadly, I also need a new extension cord for them, since the first one died on me. They still sound as great as the day I opened them, though!
« Last Edit: 08/ 15/ 2011, 12:21:23 PM by Topher »

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Headphones!
« Reply #1 on: 11/ 03/ 2010, 11:18:50 PM »
State your price limit right now or you will get some responses WAY beyond your means.

TheCleaningGuy

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night
    • Siliconera
Headphones!
« Reply #2 on: 11/ 03/ 2010, 11:28:34 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm... I'd say my limit is... $200, maybe? I'm thinking about a Christmas present from me to me.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #3 on: 11/ 04/ 2010, 12:09:08 AM »
I recently picked up some Etymotic HF2's about a month ago. Love the triple flange tips. They sound great but they don't have the bass that Shure's have because they don't exaggerate any of the frequencies. They're more about detail. I'm more of a headphone man but I like these IEMs.

You'll be good with just about anything over $100 in the IEM world but just make sure it's something with balanced armatures or dual/triple drivers.

Mine.
« Last Edit: 11/ 04/ 2010, 01:09:32 AM by Calpis »

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Headphones!
« Reply #4 on: 11/ 04/ 2010, 12:45:06 AM »
i have those same shures in black, so i cant really give you any different suggestions. i am planning on getting another pair of those because i fucked mine up bad recently and had to take them out of rotation.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #5 on: 11/ 04/ 2010, 04:58:20 PM »

TheCleaningGuy

• nubbin
    • Siliconera
Headphones!
« Reply #6 on: 11/ 04/ 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
Did some more reading on IEMs and stumbled onto these 2. Both are well reviewed.

http://www.bugdenaudio.com/store/fischer-audio-dba-02.html

http://www.amazon.com/HeadDirect-RE0-HEAD-DIRECT-In-ear-Headphones/dp/B001MQ8BL6/

Those things are sexy! I'm really tempted by the DBA 02s, since I've heard good things.

Currently, I'm also considering getting a pair of either circumaurals or supra-aurals maybe even a headset... Is there something you'd recommend under $200? I'm semi-pondering the Astro A30 for a headset, since there are a few games I want to hear in surround sound and I don't have room for an actual surround sound system in my room. I'm a bit wary though. Anyone have any thoughts?

BleachBoy

• Bass Master General
  •   
  • Thou shalt not partake of decaf.
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night
Headphones!
« Reply #7 on: 11/ 04/ 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
Topher and Calpis were very clear when they told me not to get A30's hahaha. The mixamp is what gives them surround sound and that works with any pair of headphones.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #8 on: 11/ 04/ 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
For a headset, I've been considering getting some sennheiser pc 360. Even topher has expressed his interest in this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-PC-GAMING-Headset-PC360-NEW-/310267100905 <--authorized dealer

supra-aural
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ATATHESW9A

As for circumaural, open or closed?

Dolby Headphone adapters include the Astro Mixamp and their newer Wireless Mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS, and the jvc su-dh1. Only the mixamp will mix in console audio. The turtle beach could but you have to have a turtle beach headset. I used a Sony DS1000 to do sony branded virtual surround sound before I purchased a yamaha receiver and it worked pretty decently. But the yamaha does it better imo.
« Last Edit: 11/ 04/ 2010, 07:58:47 PM by Calpis »

TheCleaningGuy

• nubbin
    • Siliconera
Headphones!
« Reply #9 on: 11/ 07/ 2010, 06:52:48 PM »
I want to sex those Audio Technicas! I love the woodgrain!

And for circumaural... I'm not really sure about open vs closed. What's the big difference between the two?

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #10 on: 11/ 08/ 2010, 04:55:32 AM »
Closed: tends to have stronger bass, more isolation, and sound leaks out a lot less but your ears will warm up faster.
Open: wider sound stage, generate less ear heat, and sound will feel/sound more natural but will leak a lot of sound and very little isolation.

And yes, wood is sex.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Headphones!
« Reply #11 on: 11/ 08/ 2010, 07:37:39 AM »
I don't like inears personally...

But I am looking for some nice headphones as well. Was actually thinking about getting the A30, not so much for gaming, but more for music and stuff.
I bet there are better ones out there for the same price though...tips?

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #12 on: 11/ 08/ 2010, 07:56:20 PM »
For cheaper than the A30 there's the Audio Technica AD700. They're big, very musical, game friendly, and one of the best values on the market.
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU/

If you want something a little more portable and fun sounding, there's the Audio Technica ES7. Absolutely gorgeous pair. Very fun headphone. I played with my friend's pair when I fixed the jack for him (he stepped on the cable and bent the jack). The sound is a bit colored but like I said before, very fun. Earcups have a mirror like finish.
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ES7-Portable-Headphones-Black/dp/B000R0TPQ8/

On a side note, I traded my etymotic HF2 IEMs for a set of etymotic ER4P IEMs. The difference is subtle but amazing, the ER4P has a much "cleaner" sound. I love em.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Headphones!
« Reply #13 on: 11/ 09/ 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
First of, thank you very much!
Second, now decision...

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Headphones!
« Reply #14 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 01:24:21 AM »
Hey Calpis (or anyone else), looking for thoughts/opinions on two AKG's:

K-44MKII
K77

Intended use would be for gaming and music. While my headset works fine for skype, I'm tired of the sub-par sound quality they produce compared to the in ears I've got.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #15 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 07:26:45 PM »
Guitar Center had the K44 on sale for 29.99 last weekened. I haven't tried it personally, although I was real tempted because it was so cheap, but I heard it was excellent for that price. $39 isn't bad either since it'd only be a few bucks more than when they were on sale at guitar center+tax. The only AKG cans that I've heard are K240S (sold) and a mid production K240 Sextett (currently own) and both are very good.

I don't know what your budget is but for a little more you can get a pair of Ultrasone Hfi-15g headphones. They're personally my favorite portables which I've used for 18 months straight until I upgraded to a higher end model. Great for gaming and music and a surprising amount of bass for an open headphone.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #16 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
The K77 sounds like total shit, don't waste your time or money. Haven't heard the K44.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #17 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 08:28:34 PM »
That's too bad. I was curious about them but not quite enough to drive down to GC to try them out. I'm way more interested in vintage AKG now. I'm on the hunt for a K501.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Headphones!
« Reply #18 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
Yeah, I had seen them on a GC commercial and I became curious. Thanks for the heads up on the 77's. I might still give the 44's a try though.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #19 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
They sound really plastic-y and hollow. If you don't mind spending another 50 bucks or so, look into the K240 Studio. I got mine for $99 and they're probably my favorite headphones atm. They have them at GC.