Headphones!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Headphones!  (Read 27212 times)

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #20 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 08:39:34 PM »
They sound really plastic-y and hollow. If you don't mind spending another 50 bucks or so, look into the K240 Studio. I got mine for $99 and they're probably my favorite headphones atm. They have them at GC.

Ick, I know the feeling. I have some sony cans that came bundled with a headphone 5.1 virtualizer that sound just like that. I put them back in the package and stuffed them in the closet. Serious ick.

Also, found a replacement headband for my sextetts for <$30 shipped. I'll end up getting that later on and put the sextetts to more use.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #21 on: 12/ 23/ 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
Oh good, finally. Yeah, I tried the K77s out at GC a few months ago. They're $40 and made of plastic, and they SOUND like they're $40 and made of plastic. Just goes to show you brand name doesn't count for everything.

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
Headphones!
« Reply #22 on: 12/ 24/ 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
Hey guys I need some help finding some good headphones (not earbuds) with some good quality bass. The ones I have right now are alright but when i'm listening to some bass-heavy dubstep or techno it just sounds super badass. I'd prefer something $75 and under if that's possible.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #23 on: 12/ 24/ 2010, 10:48:01 PM »
1. Does isolation/sound leakage in/out matter?
2. What kind of headband/clip/etc style do you prefer?

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
Headphones!
« Reply #24 on: 12/ 24/ 2010, 10:51:59 PM »
Sound isolation is definitely a plus, but it's not a big requirement as I usually listen to music when it's quiet anyways.

Style also isn't a huge deal, but I like something that's not all big and awkward. I kind of like the style of the Skullcandy headphones, but don't use em' because all of the ones I've owned aren't worth any of what I paid for them.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #25 on: 12/ 24/ 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Rule #1 of headphones: No Skullcandy anything, ever.

As for recs, Maybe:

Koss PortaPro (highly recommended if you can put up with the metal band)
Sennheiser HD515
Beyer DT235

That's about all I can personally think of that's worthwhile in that price range. Calpis?

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #26 on: 12/ 25/ 2010, 01:18:51 AM »
Koss DJ100 $79. I hear good things about them for their price and superb isolation. Some Best Buys have them on demo so you might be able to try before you buy.

I've been listening to some Drum 'n Bass with my AIAIAI TMA-1 and it's been pretty amazing. Strong, fast, punchy bass.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #27 on: 12/ 26/ 2010, 11:19:32 PM »
Sound isolation is definitely a plus, but it's not a big requirement as I usually listen to music when it's quiet anyways.

Style also isn't a huge deal, but I like something that's not all big and awkward. I kind of like the style of the Skullcandy headphones, but don't use em' because all of the ones I've owned aren't worth any of what I paid for them.

I have another option for you if you'd like and don't mind buying used. I have a friend that's selling his Audio Technica ath-es7 headphones for $60. They retail for about twice as much and are a pain to buy online because the there's just a huge counterfeit market for these cans now. I'm about to grab the headphones from him tonight to make sure everythings in working order. Also, these headphones are very musical/fun sounding, unlike the analytical ones I tend to use. Also they are very efficient cans and play well out of any source. Also, one of the most gorgeous headphones under $150. Let me know if you're interested.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #28 on: 12/ 26/ 2010, 11:21:47 PM »
ath-es7

If he's not, I may be. Black or white?

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #29 on: 12/ 26/ 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
blacks. white are rare cause they not sold in the US.

*side note: I replaced the plug with a neutrik gold plug because my friend that's 6'4" stood up too fast while the cord was under the armwrest and fucked up the original plug.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #30 on: 12/ 26/ 2010, 11:28:37 PM »
Right on. Keenan, you should most certainly pounce on this. But let me know if you don't. But you should.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #31 on: 12/ 26/ 2010, 11:32:56 PM »
Yeah, my friend is gonna get the AIAIAI. He was kinda like FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU after he tried them because they work very well with the music he listens to.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #32 on: 12/ 26/ 2010, 11:36:35 PM »
I want them too. But $$$ :(

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #33 on: 12/ 26/ 2010, 11:39:21 PM »
Yeah, I know. I wouldn't have bought them if they weren't on sale. Would've ended up with a schiit amp instead... which fuck because they have a $50 off promotion on head-fi until the end of the year :(

Edit: Here some pics. Earcups are it good condition with only hairline scratches that you would see on a used cd, nothing serious, nothing longer than a few millimeters. Inner headband shows some wear but pretty sure a damp cloth will clean it all up. Original jack has been replaced with a neutrik plug for reasons stated above and you can see my attempt to make a strain relief for that thin ass cable with shrink tubing. If new is a 10, I would give these an 7.5-8. Still gorgeous to look at and sounds great. Also, couldn't find the bag :(

« Last Edit: 12/ 27/ 2010, 02:25:57 AM by Calpis »

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #34 on: 12/ 27/ 2010, 05:35:06 AM »
Throwing up another possible recommendation. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Sony's consumer products because of the cheap materials they use on some of their stuff but this might be a good option:

Sony XB500 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/

Tons of bass, maybe so much that it overwhelms. But if you have access to an EQ, you can tone it down a bit so it won't drown out the mids and highs too much. They're pretty big, will probably keep your ears warm during the winter, and have big ass pads that look pretty comfy.

Then there's the Creative Auravana Live http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-EF0060-Aurvana-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/

These guys are rebadged Denon AHD-1000. I've listened to them and sounded good and are overall pretty versatile. Amazon had them at ~$70 for the longest time but now it's at $99 :/ Extremely glossy like the old PS3 so lots of finger prints.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Headphones!
« Reply #35 on: 12/ 27/ 2010, 06:23:51 AM »
Does anyone know if Koss portapros play nice with long hair? I need a decent pair of cheap cans.

Then there's the Creative Auravana Live http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-EF0060-Aurvana-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/

These guys are rebadged Denon AHD-1000. I've listened to them and sounded good and are overall pretty versatile.

Actually these aren't to bad a price on amazon.co.uk. There good for all round use you say? I'm pretty clumsy so I'd be looking for something relatively durable.
« Last Edit: 12/ 27/ 2010, 06:39:29 AM by redlemon »

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #36 on: 12/ 27/ 2010, 10:07:52 AM »
I'm gonna say no to the portapros and long hair unless you're wearing a beanie or something. There's an awful lot of stuff there to get it tangled in. Those denons are much better suited and much more durable.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #37 on: 12/ 27/ 2010, 12:52:07 PM »
Does anyone know if Koss portapros play nice with long hair? I need a decent pair of cheap cans.

Actually these aren't to bad a price on amazon.co.uk. There good for all round use you say? I'm pretty clumsy so I'd be looking for something relatively durable.

If you're looking for durable then these might not be the best, I've heard some complain about build but could just be vocal minority. you'd probably have to baby them a bit. They still sound amazing for the price though. Check out the Denon AHD1100 (updated model that fixes some build issues of the 1xxx series) and the bass heavy AHD2000.

Audio technica ath-a700 and JVC HA-RX900 both play well with music and games. They're big and built like tanks. They're made for home use so the cords are pretty long, I know the JVC is 9ft and I think the a900 is roughly the same but I'm out of it right now to check amazon. You can ask BleachBoy about the JVC if that interests you, he has a felt modded pair (removed felt from the front of the driver housing).

Ultrasone HFi-15g still gets a super high recommendation from me.

If you're coming off free earphones that come free with shit you buy then just about anything over $50 from a reputable and established headphone maker will sound leagues above what you use.
« Last Edit: 12/ 27/ 2010, 01:11:56 PM by Calpis »

JusticeDude

•   
  • j/k, it's always spookytime
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Headphones!
« Reply #38 on: 12/ 27/ 2010, 02:50:49 PM »
Hey guys, I'm glad this thread is here because I don't know much about headphones and have some questions.

This is one pair I have right now.  It has some problems, mostly with the volume wheel: it's reversed so turning it down increases the volume and vice versa, and fiddling with it at all causes the sound in either ear to cut in and out wildly.  The mesh ear covers are designed to let sound in for some bizarre reason.  I'd like to get some replacements for music listening at home and maybe gaming, but I don't know what's good for a decent price (<$100).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Headphones!
« Reply #39 on: 12/ 27/ 2010, 02:58:48 PM »
If you're looking for durable then these might not be the best, I've heard some complain about build but could just be vocal minority. you'd probably have to baby them a bit. They still sound amazing for the price though. Check out the Denon AHD1100 (updated model that fixes some build issues of the 1xxx series) and the bass heavy AHD2000.

Audio technica ath-a700 and JVC HA-RX900 both play well with music and games. They're big and built like tanks. They're made for home use so the cords are pretty long, I know the JVC is 9ft and I think the a900 is roughly the same but I'm out of it right now to check amazon. You can ask BleachBoy about the JVC if that interests you, he has a felt modded pair (removed felt from the front of the driver housing).

Ultrasone HFi-15g still gets a super high recommendation from me.

If you're coming off free earphones that come free with shit you buy then just about anything over  from a reputable and established headphone maker will sound leagues above what you use.

The denon's look real nice but the Christmas money has too stretch a bit so their unfortunately out of the question. The JVC's look nice though, I'll ask bleachboy about them. Last semi decent pair I had was some sennheiser px100's which lasted about 3 years.