Headphones!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Headphones!  (Read 27085 times)

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #220 on: 12/ 18/ 2011, 12:43:20 AM »
Hey, sexy ladies, I have a question. I'm getting my sister's boyfriend a pair of earbuds for his birthday, but I'm not sure which ones to get. I want something less than or around $20 that has decent bass and doesn't sound very tinny. He's not hardcore into music, though he does listen to stuff, so it's not like he should be able to hear the vibrations of a pin dropping. But the best of anything you can get for around $20 would be nice. Anything? Anyone? Tacos?

JVC makes great low-end earphones so you might want to give these a shot but they are a bit gaudy though.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HA-FX1X-Xtreme-Xplosives-Ear/dp/B004M8SAJ4/

MEElectronics makes good inexpensive earphones too and just about every model they have has an identical model that has a microphone that is compatible with most phones.
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M9-BK-Hi-Fi-Sound-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K1G/

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Headphones!
« Reply #221 on: 12/ 18/ 2011, 03:08:17 AM »
JVC makes great low-end earphones so you might want to give these a shot but they are a bit gaudy though.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HA-FX1X-Xtreme-Xplosives-Ear/dp/B004M8SAJ4/

MEElectronics makes good inexpensive earphones too and just about every model they have has an identical model that has a microphone that is compatible with most phones.
http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M9-BK-Hi-Fi-Sound-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B0038W0K1G/

Oh shit, thanks! I was looking at some JVC and MEE ones earlier, but these are a lot better. Hmmmm...

EDIT: Also, in addition: I've been searching for some decent around-the-ear headphones for around the same price. I don't like earbuds because they can never stay in my ear. Plus, I'll probably be exercising with them on, so I can already see earbuds popping out in the middle of it. I remember passing some JVC ones, but I'm not sure if I can find something better.
« Last Edit: 12/ 18/ 2011, 03:19:12 AM by Manic Maverick »

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #222 on: 12/ 18/ 2011, 06:50:38 AM »
Both MEEL and JVC have in-ears that have wire guides that go up, over, and down the back of the ear. Just having the wire guided around the ears helps a lot and prevents the in-ears from shaking out.

I would suggest against full sized around-ear headphones for working out because of their weight and the amount of sweat those types of headphones are going to create. Take a look at the Koss Sporta/PortaPro since they're lightweight and still sound great.

Hexual

• nubbin
  • Made Tetris in Visual Basic 5. Never again.
  • Badges Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • Sys. Req.
Headphones!
« Reply #223 on: 12/ 18/ 2011, 08:58:30 AM »
JVC Gummies for me. Super cheap, and the sound isn't awful. I used to have a really nice pair of Skullcandy headphones, but alas, they were not long for this world.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Headphones!
« Reply #224 on: 12/ 18/ 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
Both MEEL and JVC have in-ears that have wire guides that go up, over, and down the back of the ear. Just having the wire guided around the ears helps a lot and prevents the in-ears from shaking out.

Ahhh, these are the kind I was talking about. :D

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #225 on: 12/ 21/ 2011, 10:35:40 AM »
Ordered Koss Portapro and Klipsch Image S4i

hope these will finally take care of my portable needs.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Headphones!
« Reply #226 on: 02/ 08/ 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
has anyone had any experience with the Sony mdr-7506's or the 7510's?  Been reading good things about sound quality, but lots of people saying they are tiring to listen to.  I'm debating between these and the AT es7's(if I can find them new somewhere). As a birthday present to me.

I'm just looking for a nice pair for home use in the $100ish range.  Gonna be grabbing some portapros for on the go stuff

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #227 on: 02/ 08/ 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
if you're looking to buy some portapros ill sell or trade you mine i don't like the way they fit on my fat head.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Headphones!
« Reply #228 on: 02/ 08/ 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
how much doth thou want for them? Do you accept dirt buttons as payment?

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #229 on: 02/ 09/ 2012, 12:58:22 AM »
The sony 7506/V6 are your standard sound production headphones. If you go to school for sound engineering, then these are the headphones that they pretty much give you. They're pretty neutral sounding which probably leads to why people call them them tiring. I haven't listened to them extensively (I repaired/replaced the cable to my friend's pair last week) but I found them kinda boring, I like my headphones to have a little more energy.

Check out the headphone/earphone bundle at creative:
http://us.creative.com/local/1/promo/bundles/Feb_bundles.htm?utm_source=us.store.creative.com&utm_medium=Banner&utm_content=EStoreMHL1_12.0207_Perfect_Match&utm_campaign=Promo_12.0207_Perfect_Match#pdt3
$89 is a really good deal for those and the Aurvana Live headphones sound really good and are comfortable.

Portapros are also awesome. I'd own a pair if my hair wouldn't get caught in the headband everytime I'd put them on.

Also, you might want to look into the Philips Citiscape line of headphones, they've been getting good impressions from people in the headphone community and seem like a really good value.
« Last Edit: 02/ 09/ 2012, 01:11:19 AM by Calpis »

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Headphones!
« Reply #230 on: 02/ 09/ 2012, 02:06:33 AM »
Thanks!

Yeah, not really planning on doing much with sound production, mostly using them for music and such.

I'm liking the looks of those Cityscape Uptown's they have on amazon, but gonna read a bit more before pulling the trigger on them

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #231 on: 02/ 09/ 2012, 02:27:14 AM »
Here are some quick impressions from Philips' CES booth this year on their headphones.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2012-best-show-philips-lifestyle-products

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #232 on: 02/ 09/ 2012, 07:36:45 AM »
how much doth thou want for them? Do you accept dirt buttons as payment?

i'll take a 20 spot or 1600 microsoft banana pts card plus 3 dirt buttons.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Headphones!
« Reply #233 on: 02/ 09/ 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
here are the three dirt buttons

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #234 on: 02/ 10/ 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
hawt.

JusticeDude

•   
  • j/k, it's always spookytime
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Headphones!
« Reply #235 on: 04/ 07/ 2012, 04:41:06 PM »
Hey guys, I just made like $130 selling some old crap on eBay and was thinking about getting a decent surround sound headset.  I'm looking for decent sound isolation, comfort (my head is large), and a mic.  These came up on Amazon - Logitech G35 - Plantronics GameCom 780 - and have good reviews, but I'd appreciate your opinions.

EDIT: I ordered these instead. SteelSeries Siberia V2 7.1 surround headset.
« Last Edit: 04/ 10/ 2012, 12:35:39 PM by JusticeDude »

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Headphones!
« Reply #236 on: 08/ 25/ 2012, 05:54:16 AM »

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Headphones!
« Reply #237 on: 09/ 23/ 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
So the nice HD 280s I bought a year ago do nothing but give me a headache and make me nauseous  from the pinching on my tiny head. Recommendations for middle road in ears, or smaller fitting over the ears? I guess I could go and pick up a beanie to wear with the 280s, but it's already 100+ degrees in my room...

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #238 on: 09/ 23/ 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
I have a ban on all leather and leather like earpads for the headphones I buy. It has to be a really special set of cans for me to forgo that policy.

The headphone that I've used every day for the past 3 years (and counting) has been the Ultrasone HFi-15g. And if it ever broke, I'd just buy another pair. Very lightweight and clamp is present but very light. Still love the sound it puts out too.

Another popular choice is the Sennheiser PX100. I've never personally used them but they have a die-hard following. Just gotta be aware that there are fakes of these floating around that sound completely inferior.

And if you don't mind the heat, there's always the Creative Aurvana Live and Brainwavz HM3/Incipio F38.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Headphones!
« Reply #239 on: 09/ 24/ 2012, 05:56:44 PM »
my sony whatevers just crapped out for the last time so i ordered those MEElectronics M9s. feels good. its nice to have some actual nice headphones for once. ive mostly had to run into whatever best buy in a panic and grab the first thing i could afford. my headphones tend to break right when i need to go on a long car ride or something, but this time they broke on a lazy friday night, which gave me time to go on amazon and grab some good ones.