Headphones!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Headphones!  (Read 27080 times)

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #40 on: 12/ 27/ 2010, 03:32:49 PM »
Hey guys, I'm glad this thread is here because I don't know much about headphones and have some questions.

This is one pair I have right now.  It has some problems, mostly with the volume wheel: it's reversed so turning it down increases the volume and vice versa, and fiddling with it at all causes the sound in either ear to cut in and out wildly.  The mesh ear covers are designed to let sound in for some bizarre reason.  I'd like to get some replacements for music listening at home and maybe gaming, but I don't know what's good for a decent price (<$100).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is most likely because of the volume pod. Those things on virtually every headphones are like the biggest point of failure on headphones. Avoid anything with a volume module if you can. The reason why the backside is meshed is because they're what you called open-headphones. A lot of the high end headphones are open because they increase what is called soundstage. Soundstage is basically how expansive the sound sounds, be it a auditorium, concert venue, studio recording room, or a bathroom. But because of that, the first thing that is usually sacrificed is bass but not always. Also, you lose isolation so you hear the outside world and the outside world can hear your music leak out. On the other hand, closed-headphones tend to have stronger bass and isolate better.

Check out the JVC and the Audio-Technicas I suggested to  Redlemon, both are great for gaming and music with the audio technicas being a bit better for music. If you need something with a bit more bass then the audio technica ath-m50 has been said to be good for gaming and awesome for music. They used to hover around the $100 price tag but with so many people recommending them and causing the demand to be higher, the price has went up to ~$140. I would avoid buying them on ebay because the chinese knock offs have taken over that marketplace. There's maybe 1 or 2 sellers there selling legit ones for a good price.

The denon's look real nice but the Christmas money has too stretch a bit so their unfortunately out of the question. The JVC's look nice though, I'll ask bleachboy about them. Last semi decent pair I had was some sennheiser px100's which lasted about 3 years.

The JVC would be a definite step up to your px100

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Headphones!
« Reply #41 on: 12/ 28/ 2010, 02:52:24 PM »
So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the ATH-AD700's but I'm left with one, rather large, concern: are they going to stay on my head? I have a pretty small head, like really small. I think the last fitted hat that I owned was kids size.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #42 on: 12/ 28/ 2010, 03:44:28 PM »
nnn, I dunno. The AD700 is mad huge. Even bigger than it looks. It doesn't stay on my head very well, but it's also possible my skull is smaller than yours, so it's hard to say. Definitely not known for being small-noggin-friendly, though. Depends on how much moving around you want to do.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #43 on: 12/ 28/ 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Theres the rubber band mod where you wrap a rubberband around the 2 wings of the headband. you can also slightly but gently bend the metal bridge inwards. So instead of being an upside down U its more like a V.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #44 on: 12/ 28/ 2010, 03:55:18 PM »
has anyone tried the AIAIAI earbuds? i want something small for traveling and i don't really like carrying full on headphones when im out.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #45 on: 12/ 28/ 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
has anyone tried the AIAIAI earbuds? i want something small for traveling and i don't really like carrying full on headphones when im out.

I would pass on their earbuds for now... all style, no substance. They've always had the style/function but they've just started to get serious about the sound. I love their tma-1 headphones because it is a good blend of form, function, and sound. Do you need a mic and or volume control for iphones? also budget?

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #46 on: 12/ 28/ 2010, 04:49:45 PM »
Budget >$150.00
I do have an iphone but controls aren't necessary i don't use headsets with my iphone but if it does have a mic and controls that would be fine.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #47 on: 12/ 28/ 2010, 05:21:46 PM »
I would grab these http://www.bugdenaudio.com/store/fischer-audio-dba-02.html (when they come back in stock)

I did some trading and bartering and ended up with some Etymotic ER4p's and they sound wonderfully flat. Almost absolutely no exaggeration at any frequencies. The  Fischer Audio is pretty similar but has a little more bass punch. Plus, it's an over ear style cord so the cord microphonics are subdued, something they my ety's have tons of :(

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Headphones!
« Reply #48 on: 12/ 29/ 2010, 12:37:05 AM »
Depends on how much moving around you want to do.

I tend to thrash when listening to thrash, so quite a bit. Now I'm starting to rethink this purchase altogether. I guess I'm just going to have to head to the store and start trying pairs on =/

Last thing I want to do is drop $100 on something that's going to slide off while in use. And bending the structure into a /\ shape almost makes me sick to my stomach. My luck + potential pinching of the lines = bad day.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #49 on: 12/ 29/ 2010, 02:28:11 AM »
You won't have to worry about pinching the wires, there's 2 bars in the headband and each bar has it's own polarity. Like the bar in the front is (+) and the one in the back is (-). I'd just rubberband mod the "wings" first before bending the headband. I'll try and dig up some pics of people that have bent the headband.

Edit: Couldn't find a pic but you bend the headband at the apex of the arc. Also, here's a pic of the rubberband mod.

But if you're gonna be thrashing then maybe the ath-m50 would be a better fit for you or a grado sr60/80.
« Last Edit: 12/ 29/ 2010, 02:41:46 AM by Calpis »

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #50 on: 12/ 29/ 2010, 08:34:22 AM »
thanks for the rec Calpis i might get those but and i know i said 150 but thinking about it they seem pretty expensive for phones that i will only use once and a while. i might have to go >100 because i might  get those AIAIAI tma-1 for mixing purposes and if i do i probably won't have that much to spend on earbuds. 

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #51 on: 12/ 29/ 2010, 08:58:55 AM »
But if you're gonna be thrashing then maybe the ath-m50 would be a better fit for you or a grado sr60/80.

Yeah, if you're listening to a lot of metal/etc Fry, Grados might be your best bet. And they'll fit your head.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #52 on: 12/ 29/ 2010, 03:48:33 PM »
thanks for the rec Calpis i might get those but and i know i said 150 but thinking about it they seem pretty expensive for phones that i will only use once and a while. i might have to go >100 because i might  get those AIAIAI tma-1 for mixing purposes and if i do i probably won't have that much to spend on earbuds. 

If you can catch one of the amazon sales for the Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 then do that, $99 is pretty ridiculous for those. Other stuff from Fischer Audio is the Eterna which is bassy and fun sounding. They also have the SBA-01 which has way less bass but better highs. The Eterna rev.1/2 are kinda out of stock so something similar to those is the ViSang R03 which is a good all rounder which has some punchy bass. Another good option is the ThinkSound TS02+mic in cherry and chocolate which are woodies and have a built in mic, I have a friend that enjoys his a lot and they be tiny.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Headphones!
« Reply #53 on: 12/ 29/ 2010, 04:01:10 PM »
Went with the Creative's in the end. I'd want to use them in the library and stuff so I was afraid of the JVC's semi-openness. I should start learning how to take care of my electronics anyways.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #54 on: 12/ 29/ 2010, 04:07:34 PM »
Good choice, they are probably the best things that creative has put out in the past 12 years. I tried them out for a few minutes at the store once, I like their warm sound. They'd be great for the library too. Also the JVC are huge, have a long ass cord, and you'd look funny wearing those in public.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #55 on: 01/ 03/ 2011, 07:44:22 PM »

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #56 on: 01/ 03/ 2011, 09:56:45 PM »
nnnnngh. If Magfest wasn't next week I would pounce, but nnnngh... $$

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #57 on: 01/ 03/ 2011, 11:02:41 PM »
probably going to hold onto them for another week or 2 before giving them back. I might be holding onto them longer because I think my buddy is headed to NY to do some work for a couple weeks.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #58 on: 01/ 03/ 2011, 11:28:55 PM »
It might be several weeks before i have it to spend, but if they're still up for grabs by then, I'll see if I can make a grabbing.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #59 on: 01/ 03/ 2011, 11:44:40 PM »
Yeah, the main reason for him selling is because after a couple hours they started to hurt him. He never did get a chance to bend the headband to make it sit better because he was too scared to break them. He'll probably just pick up the tma-1's while he's in nyc or somehting.