Headphones!
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Headphones!  (Read 26377 times)

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #60 on: 01/ 03/ 2011, 11:52:32 PM »
Well, if he's not in a hurry I'll sure as hell take em. It'll just be a little while before i've got the extra money.

Also, sickyan this thread because it'll end up being a good resource for somebody at some point.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #61 on: 01/ 03/ 2011, 11:55:14 PM »
Yeah, he shouldn't be. I lent him some Senn HD238's and seems to be liking those too.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #62 on: 01/ 04/ 2011, 09:51:28 AM »
i was looking at the ones Calpis had recommended as far as earbuds go but i don't think any of them had remotes or mics.

has anyone had a chance to try these out?

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/music-mobile/se210m-plus

i've decided that i do want ones with a remote and mic because  it would make for easy use with my ipod and iphone.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Classiest of the classy Jill Sandwich gif of the week Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Easter Egg Finder Cosplayer Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night New York Dance Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Headphones!
« Reply #63 on: 01/ 04/ 2011, 12:22:16 PM »
I had the regular se210 and wasn't too into them but that was during a time when I wasn't into IEMs because of fit issues and back pressure. Then I discovered the triple flange ear tips and proper insertion techniques and IEMs are pretty good now. Too bad I didn't learn sooner because now Topher has the shures so he's the best person right now to ask about the sound quality.

The Thinksound TS02+mic has mic/remote but lacks the volume control. There's also the Klipsch S5i and Munitio [M] BLK ($144.25 shipped with "vibrato" coupon code).

How to insert IEMs:
Monster Cable Miles Davis Tribute

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Headphones!
« Reply #64 on: 01/ 04/ 2011, 01:31:42 PM »
So the cheap in me wouldn't allow myself to go ahead with a $100 pair of headphones, considering how much I actually listen to music. Soooo I went ahead and bought some portaPros for $30. Compared to what I was used to, this is absolute sex.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #65 on: 01/ 04/ 2011, 03:02:57 PM »
The Portapros are very decent sounding headphones anyway. I think they sound a lot better than $30.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Headphones!
« Reply #66 on: 01/ 04/ 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
The amount of bass they have is almost startling.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #67 on: 01/ 04/ 2011, 10:29:32 PM »
I've owned several pairs of the kSC-75's which is basically the clip on version of the portapros. The sound is pretty amazing for the price. Just make sure to wear them in public and notice the strange looks you WILL receive while wearing them. Also make sure you're plugging them into a yellow sony sports walkman thats attached to your belt and air guitar it a few times a day.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #68 on: 01/ 04/ 2011, 11:57:14 PM »
Calpis sent me a set of the KSC-75s a while back, and I kinda love em. They sound great at low volumes running off an mp3 player or a laptop. Perfect for when you don't want to fuck with an amp/rig and full-size cans but you still want decent sound quality. They're what I usually put on for sleepytime or when I just want to listen straight from my iphone.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Headphones!
« Reply #69 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
AKG K 701 Whites were bought today, going to use them for mixing during late nights. still undecided on earbuds will probably go for something cheap for now.

KabutoDrew

• nubbin
Headphones!
« Reply #70 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
   Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help with looking for a new set of headphones. The ones that came with my ipod recently got decapitated when they got caught on my car door so I've resorted to using some skull candy uprocks (mad sexy but sound like barf) I found at my goodwill a while back.

I want to  try something new and get a nice pair of over ear headphones for under $100 that sound clear and not drowned out in bass, as far as aesthetics go if they do that swivel thing when you have them rested around your neck I would feel pretty badass :).

I hope you guys can help, and if nothing else I may just get another pair of apple ear buds because they've always worked pretty well for me.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Headphones!
« Reply #71 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
stock earphones are no better than ones you get at discount stores.
I shall ponder this.

KabutoDrew

• nubbin
Headphones!
« Reply #72 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 03:16:50 PM »
stock earphones are no better than ones you get at discount stores.
I shall ponder this.

My local goodwill is walking distance from a target and a walmart so when ever they need to get rid of something they usually send it over. I got the uprocks for $13.00 because it looks like someone tried to hack them out of the package, but they're otherwise brand new.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #73 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 03:39:40 PM »
   I want to  try something new and get a nice pair of over ear headphones for under $100 that sound clear and not drowned out in bass, as far as aesthetics go if they do that swivel thing when you have them rested around your neck I would feel pretty badass :).

When you say over ear, do  you smaller ones that sit on your ears or larger ones that sit around your ears and on your head? Also, is sound isolation important? Lastly, what types of music you into?

KabutoDrew

• nubbin
Headphones!
« Reply #74 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 03:52:52 PM »
When you say over ear, do  you smaller ones that sit on your ears or larger ones that sit around your ears and on your head? Also, is sound isolation important? Lastly, what types of music you into?

I play a little of everything but I'm usually listening to rock and rap. As far as size goes I don't want anything to large because I'm planning to using these while I'm out and about. So I don't want them sliding of my head or attracting more attention than I feel is needed.

Sound isolation is definitely a priority for when I'm at school studying. 

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #75 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
I really want to recommend the Koss DJ Pro100 since they fit just about everything you're asking for but the coiled cable really sucks for portability. It's 8ft total when stretched and should be about 5ft when coiled. If you live near a best buy, you might be lucky enough that they'd have em on display. My local best buy has the Koss UR55 which is actually pretty good too but they're open so sound leaks in and out.

AKG K 701 Whites were bought today, going to use them for mixing during late nights. still undecided on earbuds will probably go for something cheap for now.

Good choice :D They need some crazy hours of burn in (~250) and a decent amp to make them really shine. But they really shine when they shine. You should also look into this mod if you find them to be fatiguing after a few hours.
« Last Edit: 01/ 05/ 2011, 05:49:02 PM by Calpis »

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Headphones!
« Reply #76 on: 01/ 05/ 2011, 08:59:55 PM »

Oh god, my dream cans. Excellent choice, sir. Amp them well and experience the heavenz.

Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help with looking for a new set of headphones.

What Calpis said. Or if you don't mind stretching your budget another 20 bucks, I would also recommend the AKG K518.

KabutoDrew

• nubbin
Headphones!
« Reply #77 on: 01/ 06/ 2011, 04:12:29 AM »
Thanks for the help Calpis :). There's a Best Buy not to far from here so hopefully I can give those koss headphones a whirl, but I think your right about the coiled cord thing. I usually like to keep my headphone cords inside my hoodies or shirts so they don't get caught on something, like my apple earbuds:/. Imagining it though I can't help but think it would look kinda off.

The headphones that Topher suggested look really nice though, and considering the two are about the same price if I opt for the girly blue ones I think I might go with those.

Calpis

• Champion of awesome
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • Set fingers to bang.
Headphones!
« Reply #78 on: 01/ 06/ 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
Well, if you're willing to go $20 more then take a look at these, Phiaton PS 320. I really want to suggest the Ultrasone HFi450 but the cable is like 9ft long... Finally the last one I forgot about is the Audio Technica ath-sq5a.

KabutoDrew

• nubbin
Headphones!
« Reply #79 on: 01/ 07/ 2011, 05:36:55 AM »
Well, if you're willing to go $20 more then take a look at these, Phiaton PS 320. I really want to suggest the Ultrasone HFi450 but the cable is like 9ft long... Finally the last one I forgot about is the Audio Technica ath-sq5a.

I get my paycheck next week so I got some time to sleep on this, but right now based on pure looks I'm liking those audio technicas you mentioned last and the akg headphones topher brought up.

I'll head over to best buy or a guitar center to see if I can test some of these suggestions out this weekend. Thanks guys :)