What instruments/equipment do you play/use?
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What instruments/equipment do you play/use?  (Read 13585 times)

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 06:33:38 AM »
From piano to kazoo there's been tonnes of instruments through the ages.
I'd like to know what you guys in the forums play or even just have laying around the house.

I played the piano since about 7 but dropped it at 10 and picked up the electric guitar at 13.
So far I've had three guitars, two standard stratocaster (Squier and Stagg) and my most recent one a Tokai Les Paul.

I also use a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal in the gigs and thats about it.

How bout you guys?

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #1 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 07:59:09 AM »
When i was in a band for little over a year (April 09 - August 10) I decided that was the last band I would ever play in and therefore I played out of almost all of the amps i possibly could.

Here is a brief rundown of the stuff I did play out of.
Amps (all of them long gone)
Modded Peavey 6505
Framus Cobra
Engl Powerball (blah)
Orange Thunderverb (200 watts of pure fucking insanity)
Mesa Dual Rec modded to run 6550 tubes - this was my fave amp the orange a close second.

Cabs - (also gone)
Mesa Oversize 4X12 - shit was dope had a wine red tolex with a tweed grill
Vader 4X12

Guitars - (still have)
Gibson Buckethead Les Paul Signature Edition -
LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black with all new hardware and pickups

Pedals - played out a vast array now i only have a volume pedal, looking to get an EXH HOG system soonish.

Now i mostly make beats
Bought this for my ipadz

This is what I have as far as production stuff
Running Logic Studio on the imac but i mostly use my MPC 1000 as the main workhorse.

I am hoping to add the following soon

and before you ask no i suck at playing the keyboard :D

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #2 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 08:35:48 AM »
While I didn't own these, I sure did play them a lot. Played a Tuba in the end of middle school through high school. The one I played for 4 years of high school was similar to this one:

Marched Susa all 4 years of school, looked like a (much) shittier version of this one:

Also played T-bone (which I still have somewhere...) in 5-8th grade:

And then there's my shitty starter Strat that's sitting in my closet along with an FX pedal a kid sold me in middle school (don't know the name but the shit's oooold). Also have a piano somewhere up in my attic...

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
Played the baritone in concert and marching band until a few months ago. Had a possessional grade besson.

For stuff I actually own I have a random acoustic guitar and a electric Yamaha pacifica.

trying to learn piano at the moment on a Yamaha YPT-410 that I bought for a 100 euro.

Also I have a copy of Korg ds-10 which I've never felt compelled to use.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #4 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
 I can play almost any wind instrument. But I own a left handed and backwards strung acoustic guitar, a 1950's harmonica, a red marble accordion, an electric keyboard, a jewish harp, and spoons. I'll post dem pictures later. (not including the spoons.)

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #5 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 03:29:32 PM »
I used to play the oboe.  Those reeds are pretty fucked up.  I wish I'd just picked up the clarinet but noooo I had to be different.

And I own a keyboard, violin, and black acoustic guitar (seen in some of my pictures around here)

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #6 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
I played percussion through middleschool, marched 2 years on the drumline in Highschool, switched to baritone in wind ensemble, then went on to play sousaphone with Fry in marching band before marching baritone.

I've been playing guitar for about 5-6 years and should be a whole lot better at it than I actually am.  I have an old Yamaha 3/4 acoustic and an Ibanez GAX-70 electric (as well as a cheap Squire bass that I rarely touch)

I also play keyboard in a 'band' (we haven't been able to get together much lately and haven't actually written any original material yet.)  I took a few years of lessons back when I was younger and really only picked it back up in the past year or so.  I have an old Yamaha PortaSound, a Casio CTK-451 (that I want to replace) and a Creative Prodikeys keyboard for my PC

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
« Reply #7 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
I play acoustic guitar and electric guitar. I have a black Martin Sigma for an acoustic, and standard strat for an electric.

Other than that, I just started messing around with FL Studio 9 to create some simple dubstep and techno beats but that's about it. I can drum pretty well but it's not my favorite thing to do.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #8 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 08:20:34 PM »
^ i wish i could drum i'd love to learn the fundamentals of drumming.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #9 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
i play a MIM Fender Telecaster through either a tiny marshall practice amp or this bigger 80s marshall 5212 50w combo amp. i also have a yamaha F-36P acoustic guitar and a peavey bass that i covered in stickers back in middle school. it still sounds pretty great though.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #10 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
I have that same exact Marshall from the 1st pic.   Good little amp it is

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #11 on: 12/ 02/ 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
I have that same exact Marshall from the 1st pic.   Good little amp it is

yeah, it sounds awesome for fifty bucks. my friend has it in his dorm now.

Jay Hitcher

• nubbin
  • JOHN DO THE WINDY THING
« Reply #12 on: 12/ 03/ 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
I've been playing guitar for about two-and-a-half, three years. I have two guitars. A Gretsch Corvette (like this):

and a Washburn acoustic-electric, but I can't recall the model number, so I can't find a pic.

I use an old Marshall practice amp and a Line 6 Pocket POD multi-effects box. Nothing super complex, but I'm still learning, so I don't have much use for more expensive equipment at the moment.

I also use my computer for occasional stuff in Buzzworks.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #13 on: 12/ 03/ 2010, 04:50:29 PM »
Oh and I also rock out on the Fender Guitar Controller for Rock Band on occasions.
I play that shit on experts or hards

KeenanTheSavage

•   
  • Yo
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Keenan Payne
« Reply #14 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 02:15:37 PM »
^ i wish i could drum i'd love to learn the fundamentals of drumming.

Do it man, it's pretty fun. I've never really played that much but i have really good rhythm and air-drumming while listening to music and just the beats were really easy for me to get down so if you're good with rhythm it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get into

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #15 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Do it man, it's pretty fun. I've never really played that much but i have really good rhythm and air-drumming while listening to music and just the beats were really easy for me to get down so if you're good with rhythm it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get into

lol, I was telling FryFry and Rivalschools while we were at magfest I was going to get a drumset especially after hearing two soundcheck songs by Cheap Dinosaurs...well i ended up spending my excess monies on two modded gameboys and some other chiptune equipment.  Plus i would have to talk to my future roommates before i bought a drum set since i would want a real one not an electronic one.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #16 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
lol, I was telling FryFry and Rivalschools while we were at magfest I was going to get a drumset especially after hearing two soundcheck songs by Cheap Dinosaurs...well i ended up spending my excess monies on two modded gameboys and some other chiptune equipment.  Plus i would have to talk to my future roommates before i bought a drum set since i would want a real one not an electronic one.

Hey man I would like to get into chiptunes as well.
How would I go about starting?

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #17 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 03:06:32 PM »
Hey man I would like to get into chiptunes as well.
How would I go about starting?

That is probably a question a bit out of my league seeing as how i haven't even gotten started yet.  If you're looking to start out the cheapest you can you can get trackers for the pc and mac for free.  

Famitracker for PC - i think Anamanaguchi uses famitracker to make the music but to actually play it live that is a different story.

Milkytracker for mac - is another tracker you can use on the computer.

As for me im going to learn...try to learn :D how to do stuff on LSDJ (tracker software) for the gameboy (they have LSDJ on the PC too) but inorder to make it on the gameboy you need

1. Gameboy - recommend the DMG (original gameboy) or the Play It Loud Gameboy (i believe those are red, yellow, black, clear) there are also a number of mods which you can get to help - i recommend prosound and nonfinite backlight - prosound mods the sound for a more louder better sounding gameboy - backlight helps by adding led lighting to the screen.

2. LSDJ you can buy a license from littlesounddj.com for $2 bucks and from there you can go to a few different websites and have them flash LSDJ on a cart for you to use on your gameboy the cart is usually 30-50$ most people/places won't sell you an LSDJ flashed cart without proof of license.  

There is also nanoloop (uses a grid based system to creat music) and lot of other programs you can use on the gameboy.

I am also using a tracker program called Pulsar and a midi based program called Midines both for the nintendo.  These both use the Nintendo NES style sounds (which i prefer more than the gameboy.  To operate Pulsar and Midines they both require a functional nintendo which everyone will tell you to use an original nintendo not a clone. Pulsar, im going to use in conjunction with a Nintendo PowerPak.  The powerpak is basically a blank cart which you can connect a compact flash cart to play roms on an actual nintendo BUT you can load the flash cart with Pulsar (which i believe is free but you can donate if you want) and connect the flash cart to a powerpak and place the powerpak in the nintendo.  I found out through kinecturtle on twitter that you can hook a nintendo to an lcd screen to make music.

Midines is a whole nother beast it is a game cart connected to a midi cable that lets you control the nintendo soundchip through midi. If you go this route DO NOT BUY the cart direct from wayfar.com xlk has been scamming people for a few years (i was one of those unfortunate people). I bought direct from his website three years ago and still haven't seen my cart, i ended up buying one on ebay for about the same price 2 years ago.

That is probably a lot to take in but hopefully it should get you started. I would ask Manic Maverick before i gave him my gameboy with LSDJ he was doing chiptunes. Not quite sure what he was using before then or if he is using LSDJ now.

if you're looking for used stuff i would recommend looking on 8bc.org they usually always have DMGs for sale modded and unmodded plus there is a ton of info to help yea.  I dunno about the forum users though things have changed for the worst.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #18 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 03:25:13 PM »
Posted in another thread i took the time over the holidays to solidify what i wanted to use once i start hitting the lab come mid Feb.

Drum Machines/Samplers

MPC 1000
Native Instruments Maschine
Elektron Machinedrum MK II UW
Jomox Mbase11

Synths

Korg Triton Rack
Kurzweil k2000r Rack
Elektron Monomachine MK II +

Strings

Gibson Les Paul Buckethead Signature
MTD Kingston Artist 4 String Bass
Ibanez 6 String Nylon Acoustic/Electric

Effects/Rack

Boss RE-20 - Reverb Effect Pedal
Alesis Bitrman - Bit Crusher Effect
Lexicon MX400 - Effects Processor
DBX 166xl - Compressor
Alesis 3630 -Compressor
Sansamp PSA-1 - Guitar Distortion Rack used for drum samples
Behringer POS Patchbay
Line 6 Pod XT Rack - Guitar Amp Simulator
Line 6 Bass Pod XT Rack - Bass Amp Simulator
MOTU Midi Express XT

DJ
Vestax Controller 1
Rane TTM56
Serato SL1

Chipstuff
1 Clear Dyed Green DMG Gameboy modded w/ Prosound and Green Nonfinite Backlight
1 White Modded DMG Gameboy
2 LSDJ Carts
Nintendo
Pulsar
Powerpak
Midines

Programs/Mixer/Monitors
Logic Studio 8
Ableton Live 8 (doubt i will use much)
2 Mackie Onyx Blackbird Rack Mixers w/ Firewire
2 JBL LSR4328P Powered Monitors

Def feel like i got way to much shit going on but once i get it all setup ill probably weed through it all and sell a few more things.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #19 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 06:47:24 PM »
That is probably a lot to take in but hopefully it should get you started. I would ask Manic Maverick before i gave him my gameboy with LSDJ he was doing chiptunes. Not quite sure what he was using before then or if he is using LSDJ now.

Thanks again for that. :D I've been on and off with LSDJ. It's the programme I want to use the most, but I feel like I should tackle some easier programmes before trying to tackle LSDJ. And that's all I can really do anyway, at the moment, since I don't have enough money to buy mods and such. I have an NES, but it's old. I'd probably need to buy a refurbished one or something.

Before FamiTracker I was using FL Studio in conjunction with Audacity. While it sounded kind of decent, it still felt fake, since it was VST-based instead of actual .nsf's. So I dropped FL Studio in favour of other things. Not that I'm done with FL Studio though. I plan to use it again later when I'm better at chiptunes, so I can get the style I want down correctly. Imagine chiptunes, trip-hop, electro, and elements of shoegaze, to be general. But I can't accomplish any of that at the moment, so I'm working my way up. I can't do trip-hop without a drum sampler, I can't do shoegaze without a guitar (I have an acoustic, which I can't play very well)...It's a long road.