What instruments/equipment do you play/use?
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What instruments/equipment do you play/use?  (Read 13621 times)

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #20 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
im not all that familiar with shoegaze but if you want some guitar laid down i would be more than happy too, i could probably pull it off if i listened to some.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #21 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 11:54:49 PM »
Really? That'd be awesome! :D But that's still a bit of a long way off. But if you want to get a general idea of shoegazing, this thread is the sexiness.

Also forgot to mention, I want to incorporate VOCALOID into my music, since I love their voices and they'd fit great with the sound I have in my head. Not sure which one to use though...That'll be a long way off as well though, since I need more space. VOCALOID is a fatty programme.

Oh, so many puzzle pieces... -__-

Ultimately, I'm a failure, have only ever worked in programmes, and shouldn't even be in this thread. >_>;

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #22 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 12:00:16 AM »
no wai, you have every right to be here. programs def count. ill hit up that thread put some stuff on the ipood but yea if yea want some guitar stuffs for anything id def be down.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #23 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 01:08:53 AM »
Okay cool then. :D I'll let you know.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #24 on: 02/ 15/ 2011, 10:44:34 AM »
Mmm i don't have a good or impresive gear because of budget reasons but i have:

A 72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe

A Fender Strat standar (which is in the shop i'm changing it's mics)

A washburn accoustic guitar - no idea about the model or anything it was a gift

A Fender Standard Precision Bass (at the shop changing it's mics too)

Pedals:

Dunlop Cry Baby (which i really need to clean)

Digitech Compressor/Sustainer

Boss Ds1 Distortion

A Zoom 505II multieffects (it was my first pedal , when i started playing)

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #25 on: 02/ 15/ 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
I bought the original 505 off a buddy when I started trying to play. Thing still produces the same staticy effects as the day I bought it <3

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #26 on: 02/ 15/ 2011, 11:04:06 AM »
Nice!i haven't changed mine first of because of Nostalgia and  it gets the job done everytime we play.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #27 on: 02/ 15/ 2011, 11:43:08 AM »
72 Fender Telecaster Deluxe

She's beautiful.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
« Reply #28 on: 02/ 15/ 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
Thank you Mr Topher, i really love that guitar

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #29 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 02:58:47 AM »
Okay, so I need tips with things and such. As some of you know, I've been trying to do a music thing with a thing. It requires chiptune equipment, a drum machine, a keyboard, and a guitar/amp.

Now, I'm good in the chiptune area. But I need recommendations for a good drum machine, keyboard, and a guitar/amp. For the drum machine, I want something I can use for trip-hop samples. The heavy stuff. The keyboard would most likely be used for pre-recorded samples. As for the guitar/amp, those might come later, since I need to relearn what little guitar I knew in the past. When I do finally get one, I want a hard, grungy distortion, but something that feels warm and not harsh on the ears.

Uh...yeah. I don't even know if any of this information is helping or not. But that's what I want, in a nutshell. I know shit little about equipment (this is kind of the point), so I can't give you anymore than that.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #30 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
For the guitar, go used. Don't worry about what's new and shiny, because "looks cool" often doesn't come in the same package as "sounds good." Check out pawn shops- they pretty much always have a guitar or three laying around for a good price, and they usually won't take them unless it's a good brand like Fender or Gibson. You can get a really nice guitar on the cheap that way. Or, grab a new-ish Squier or Epihone and replace the pickups. Sometimes that's cheaper than buying a flagship Fender/Gibson, even used. That's what I did with my bass and it probably saved me about 300 bucks to build effectively the exact same instrument as the $600 Fender version.

Also, for the amp- if you end up getting a Mac like you've been talking about, GarageBand has fuck knows how many pedals, effects and amp simulators built right into it, and it comes pre-installed on your computer. For free. You can plug your guitar right into the audio input and never even need an amp or pedals at all, if you're only recording. Just play right into the application and record/mix it directly. I play like that all the time, it's as easy/awesome as it sounds.

Also, that will cover your drum machine trouble as well.

Also also, the keyboard, but the interface is a pain in the ass, so you're better off getting a real one. At which point you can also plug that right in and again refer to the above.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #31 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 06:05:13 PM »
Hmmm...how much do decent pickups typically go for?

As for GarageBand, I knew you could hook equipment up to it and record, but I didn't know it had built-in amp settings. That's pretty badass. Is the sound any better than actual amps?

And I've used a drum machine and keyboard in GB, so that's not too confusing. I prefer the drum machine over making the beats in the computer though, since it gives me more control of the sound. Especially in GB, since putting down notes is kind of hit and miss.

Righto then. Thanks, Bropher! Next item on my list is VOCALOID, but that's not hard to work with. It just takes up a shit tonne of space...I also need to figure out which voice would go well with the sound I'm going for...In time, I guess.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #32 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 06:12:02 PM »
Pickups can vary hugely depending on where you look, so it's hard to say. Still cheaper than a whole guitar though. I'd say hit up ebay, but I dunno how shady the market is there because I've never bought them online before.

And the sound in GB is what you make it. You can tweak the hell out of just about anything you can imagine, so it's up to you whether it sounds better than an amp. You can make it sound better than an amp if you know what to do. You can also replicate the same sound as a good $25,000 rig full of pedals and heads... for free. And have it be indistinguishable from the real thing.

For like, no dollars.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #33 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
I also need to figure out which voice would go well with the sound I'm going for...In time, I guess.

Not that I have any experience with the software, but I'd be happy to provide an opinion on fitting a voice to a style. Lord knows I listen to enough music that utilizes VOCALOIDs.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #34 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 07:04:13 PM »
Pickups can vary hugely depending on where you look, so it's hard to say. Still cheaper than a whole guitar though. I'd say hit up ebay, but I dunno how shady the market is there because I've never bought them online before.

And the sound in GB is what you make it. You can tweak the hell out of just about anything you can imagine, so it's up to you whether it sounds better than an amp. You can make it sound better than an amp if you know what to do. You can also replicate the same sound as a good $25,000 rig full of pedals and heads... for free. And have it be indistinguishable from the real thing.

For like, no dollars.

Okay, awesome. :D

Not that I have any experience with the software, but I'd be happy to provide an opinion on fitting a voice to a style. Lord knows I listen to enough music that utilizes VOCALOIDs.

Well, uuuhhh...I have no idea how to explain the sound of the actual music that's in my head without throwing genres out, which doesn't really help. I guess the voice would have to be airy, kind of subdued...But still able to sound heavier when needed. There will be a lot of experimentation, so I can't exactly give you a specific way the voice will sound 100% of the time. Hmmm...Well, here are songs where the voice (and song, possibly) resembles what I want to go with, generally:

(0:57) Small | Large

(0:17) Small | Large

(0:26) Small | Large

I don't know if that helps. It probably doesn't. XD

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #35 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
Miku would work ok for that MasuDore song. Also, then you'd have one of mai waifus emulating another one of mai waifus.

Natsuko is actually probably closer to Meiko, but Vocaloid 1 doesn't have the same huge range of sounds that Miku does.

Fry would know better than me, I don't really listen to the newer Vocaloids much.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #36 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
Miku was actually my first choice to begin with, but then I figured it would be best to check out more singers and see if they'd do just as good of a job as I think Miku would.

fryfry

•   
    • MAL
« Reply #37 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
I'm not sure I've EVER heard Meiko lol. Like seriously, does anyone ever use her?

I'll listen to the songs a few more times tonight, but my initial impression would be that you could probably use Append Miku for almost all of these (I think dark version perhaps). The big problem would be getting the ambient, flowing sound, since a lot of the females have rather... "pitchy" voices: it's nice for moving parts but held out notes that change pitch = eeeeeh. Your next best bet would probably be Luka, just because I feel she has a richer sound to her voice and sounds pretty well across lows and highs. It's really going to come down to what YOU want though.

That probably wasn't helpful at all, sorry.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #38 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 09:15:20 PM »
Wedding Wars ~愛は炎~ (VOCALOID MEIKO) Small | Large

Probably not a good bet even if the voice does fit, because they never patched or appended her. There's an update coming, but ehhh. Meiko was 3 years before Miku was originally released, and she sounds like it. Probably best to just go with Miku.

fryfry

•   
    • MAL
« Reply #39 on: 02/ 22/ 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
...I guess I was just late to the party then. She actually sounds pretty good to me, destroying everything that I just said and making me wonder wtf happened.