What instruments/equipment do you play/use?
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What instruments/equipment do you play/use?  (Read 13678 times)

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #80 on: 10/ 30/ 2013, 09:44:30 AM »

Legit Stuff
Ableton Live 9 Standard Suite w/ Ableton Push
Propellerheads Reason 7
Native Instruments Maschine MK2, Massive
Glitch 2
Ipad 1 - Propellerheads Thor and Rebirth (both run surprisingly well on Ipad 1) nanoloop, sidpad, Korg iMS-20
Sylenth 1 - although I regret buying this because I heard that the creator has pretty much stopped supporting it. :/ should've just kept the cracked copy and spent that money towards something that will be continued to be supported.

Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 8
Native Instruments Action Strings
Moog Mini V

Physical Hardware
Teenage Engineering OP-1 (thinking of getting rid of it so i can legit fund Sylenth1 and the newer ipad)
Novation SL49 MK II
Novation Launchpad - replaced with Ableton Push
Lexicon MX 400 Effects Unit
Line 6 Bass Pod Pro - broke but functions
Mackie Onyx Blackbird Firewire - my external soundcard now using a Steinberg UR28M (USB) which is worlds better than the Onyx.
JBL LSR4326P - Monitors
Ampeg V140C Solid State
Some weird 4X12 Guitar Cab
Gibson Buckethead Signature   
Fender Acoustic
4 String Bass

I feel like this is the final form that my studio will take. I do want another pair of really cheap monitors just to A/B stuff.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #81 on: 11/ 22/ 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
This looks awesome

SaReGaMa - Kalimba solo for Lotus Small | Large

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #82 on: 11/ 23/ 2013, 12:39:29 AM »
hell yea thumb pianos are fucking rad

imogen heap has used it quite a few times
Kingdom Hearts- Glittering Cloud(Imogen Heap) Small | Large

so has bjork

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #83 on: 12/ 30/ 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
Scored a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface for christmas, so now I can hook up my Realistic Solo-103's! They're un-powered so they sit a little on the quiet side, but it's amazing how much being able to use speakers helps with producing.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #84 on: 12/ 31/ 2013, 12:25:04 AM »
yea speakers make all the difference, i don't think i could sit very long with some cans on my head writing music.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #85 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 02:01:56 AM »
Okay, so it probably won't be anytime soon, but I want to learn electric guitar. I was learning acoustic on and off for nearly a decade now, but never got anywhere. Considering acoustic and electric are different beasts, I doubt that matters anyway. When I learn electric I'll probably just learn from tabs or something.

But my main question is WHAT. What should I get? What guitar, make and model would be good, at a decent price? I've also heard stuff about peddles and all that jazz. I know I need an amp, which I decided a while back would be an Orange, just because that's what Wata from Boris uses and it sounds perty sex. But I don't know anything else. I am not versed in the art of guitars. I grew up poor and could never get my hands on an electric. XD Or much of anything, tbh.

Also, might think about bass in the future, but probably not before learning guitar.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #86 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 09:43:49 AM »
my advice is if you really want to get into electric guitar, dont be afraid to spend like in the neighborhood of like 400 dollars on a really solid guitar. its worth it to spend the money up front for somthing that you can rely on than getting some 100 dollar thing thats gonna give you a lot of hassle. a lot of the cheaper ones have problems staying in tune and stuff like that, which can be very frustrating, especially for a relative begginner.

I'm just as in love with my Fender Telecaster as i was the day i got it, so i can totally recommend one of those, but you should also take a look at something like an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. The Les Paul is the most iconic rock guitar out there, so chances are its a tone you're familiar with/like. If youre going to try to play crazy metal or something, there are other choices that im less familiar with from companies like ESP or Jackson.

As far as amps go? i would buy a small practice amp to start out with. Marshall makes one for around $50 that ive been pretty happy with. Amps get expensive fast, so when youre starting out i think its better to put the bulk of your budget into the actual guitar, and get a better amp later on.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #87 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 03:03:34 PM »
Damn, that's what I hoped I wouldn't hear about lower-priced guitars. Guess it'll end up being a bigger investment.

And the Fender Telecaster is something I always hear about. The kind of music I want to make kinda varies, though, but it's probably closest to metal I guess. Anything with heavy distortion and a deep sound. Think 90s NIN or something. Dunno if that's considered in the metal arena or what.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #88 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
Look into Squier, Mav. It's Fender, made outside of the US or Japan. Usually Mexico. Wood and parts are of just slightly lower quality, but it's still fender. My bass is a squier and it's every bit as solid and sounds pretty much indistinguishable from its big boy fender counterpart.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #89 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 04:40:59 PM »
Oh shit, these are like half the cost. Definitely gonna check these out then. :O Still probably a long ways off, but yes.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #90 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 04:54:03 PM »
In terms of models of guitar I really like Stratocaster shaped guitars.

They feel really easy to play sitting down due to the groove and curved shape of the guitar. Pretty iconic too.
I started off playing with a Squier Strat and moved onto a Les Paul later since it was a better sound.
Nowadays I'm no longer in a band but fuck around on the guitar loads and so I only play the Stratocaster. It's just so easy to pick up and jam on.

Sadly as people have said, it's a fairly cheap guitar so it doesn't hold it's tuning. Once you get better, tuning is a matter of warming up before playing.

I'd say go to a few music stores with some chords in mind and try out the different models. My friend likes a SG type guitar but I always found them too neck heavy compared to the balanced shape of a Stratocaster.

Lastly in terms of Amps. Small amps are good and I think you can get some package deals with a Squier Strat as a good starter set. Quality wise they're not so great.

I've heard good things about Rocksmith 2014. Not only is it a learning tool/ game, it comes with a bunch of modifiable stacks and amps so you can mix and match multiple different set ups to find the right sound.
The downside is that the tone cable will set you back some if they're still running low in stock (I know they had a problem when the original RockSmith came out). The game is on steam if you're willing to wait around for a massive price drop.

Sorry for the text dump Mav. Hope it helps

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #91 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
I dropped around $500 on one of these last year and it's awesome. Sounds great and plays really well. No tuning problems either. Epiphone is the Squier equivalent to Gibson so you might want to check them out too. But yeah, you should definitely go try some out and then decide. You're probably gonna want something with humbuckers for a beefier sound, but who knows? You might dig Teles.

I highly recommend Rocksmith as well. Once you have the basics down, you can jump right in and start learning stuff. Personally I find way more engaging than just looking at tabs.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #92 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 11:19:06 PM »
AWWW YEEEAAHH

Thanks for the info, Mak! I'm feeling pretty good about what I'm hearing regarding the Squier. I'd probably take advantage of an amp deal, then get a better amp in time.

I dropped around $500 on one of these last year and it's awesome. Sounds great and plays really well. No tuning problems either. Epiphone is the Squier equivalent to Gibson so you might want to check them out too. But yeah, you should definitely go try some out and then decide. You're probably gonna want something with humbuckers for a beefier sound, but who knows? You might dig Teles.

I highly recommend Rocksmith as well. Once you have the basics down, you can jump right in and start learning stuff. Personally I find way more engaging than just looking at tabs.

Alright, I'll check the Epiphone out as well. More than I'm willing to spend, especially with the Squire being so cheap, but who knows. And then try and figure out wtf a humbucker is. XDDD

Also, I know next to nothing about Rocksmith, but I'll probably start seeing what I can do with it whenever I get around to doing all the things.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #93 on: 03/ 07/ 2016, 11:58:53 PM »
a humbucker is a type of pickup. it generally produces a fuller, bassier, less shrill tone than the single coil pickup you would find on a telecaster.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #94 on: 03/ 08/ 2016, 12:51:01 AM »
Yeah that's why I got a Tokai Les Paul for the humbucker pick ups. The sound from an amp is better and fitted what we needed when I was in a band.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #95 on: 03/ 08/ 2016, 12:33:45 PM »
*Googles*

OH, THOSE. I didn't know what those were called. Learning new things every day. Liking the sound of the humbucker, though. I like fuller sounds. I plan on doing some shoegazey stuff, so full is necessary. Are they easily installed or...?

EDIT: Oh god. I do not have the capacity for that. I'd probably send it to someone else to do.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
« Reply #96 on: 03/ 08/ 2016, 11:53:10 PM »
or just buy a guitar that has them already. you have a lot of options.

personally, my project after Anime Boston, and after building my new PC, is putting a humbucker in my Tele in the neck position, and possibly putting a 4 way switch in. i might get a new single coil for the bridge, but i love the tone i get out of the one i have in there already so i kind of dont want to mess with it.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #97 on: 03/ 09/ 2016, 12:35:36 PM »
Hmm, looks like all the Squiers with humbuckers are a bit more expensive. I'll see how it works out, whenever it happens. Which could be anywhere from 5 months to 5 years. XD

Also, one thing I need to remember is that, when getting into a new hobby, I'll probably have to remember various millions of terms. Like "4 way switch". Or "single coil". Or "guitar". Or "wtf am I doing".