Anime of the Internet Age
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anime of the Internet Age  (Read 177193 times)

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3140 on: 10/ 18/ 2014, 11:18:29 PM »
Finished Hozuko no Reitetsu today. A local friend recommended it and I LOVED IT. There are screaming Goldfish Plants! You all really needed to tell me about this. I am not sure how I missed it earlier. Probably because it was competing for a time slot against HxH or Jojo. Yet another show I'd really love to see a second season of.

It's taking extreme will power not to order the Nendoroid for him. Look at this magnificent little bastard!

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
« Reply #3141 on: 10/ 19/ 2014, 12:46:33 AM »
Ay. That was a great show. All the characters are likable and all the comedy is delivered perfectly.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #3142 on: 10/ 24/ 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
CHIHAYAFURUUUUUUUUUUUU THESE FUCKING FEELS

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
« Reply #3143 on: 10/ 26/ 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
<3 chihayafuru

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
« Reply #3144 on: 10/ 26/ 2014, 02:05:14 PM »

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #3145 on: 10/ 27/ 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
so.good.

RollingCarey

• nubbin
  • I am a Mutant Cyborg
  • Badges Bears
    • Things I Have Made and Stuff
« Reply #3146 on: 11/ 02/ 2014, 01:50:58 PM »
So from all the <3's and feels being thrown around I started watching chihayafuru only 5 eps in but can confirm many <3's and feels where felt. Would highly recommend.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3147 on: 11/ 02/ 2014, 10:45:25 PM »
Oh yeah, I blasted through Psycho-Pass last week. It's full on one of my favorites ever. I'm go full on my twitter rant again, but it's nice to see a show that is just telling a good story without following trends or what sells or whatever. That universe is really fucked up and cool. And it had some really great, super tense scenes. Dark as hell. And I really like the characters arcs, Akane especially. I like that she was never really weak, just really green and thrown headfirst into insane situations. And of course she became a total badass. I thought it ended well too. Kind of anticlimactic, but really fitting. Like it ended in a place where I'd be happy without a second season.

RollingCarey

• nubbin
  • I am a Mutant Cyborg
  • Badges Bears
    • Things I Have Made and Stuff
« Reply #3148 on: 11/ 06/ 2014, 09:52:17 PM »
So uh I finished both seasons of Chihayafuru I think i have a binge watching problem ... onto the next one!

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #3149 on: 11/ 07/ 2014, 02:37:07 AM »
Hozuko no Reitetsu
Chihayafuru

My thumbs up, these have all of them.

Also, months late, but:

Is Sword Art Online worth watching?
Kinda looks like a poor mans dot hack.

I have trouble comparing the two, honestly. I love both, but they have very different demeanours. I found .hack to be a lot more psychological and off-putting, and sometimes gave me depressing Lain vibes. SAO doesn't really feel that way to me, and the universe is a lot smaller. However, I feel more connected to SAO's characters, since more emphasis was placed on them due to them being fewer in number. Or at least I think that's the case; I haven't dived into the .hack universe in years.

Regardless, .hack//SIGN still remains one of my favourite things.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3150 on: 11/ 13/ 2014, 11:10:56 PM »
I blasted though Nozaki-kun a couple days ago and loved it. It was so much weirder than I could have ever expected. Chiyo's adorbes, but I can't imagine how her and Nozaki could work. Like, how are they gonna kiss? Let alone other things. But I think my favorite couple is Seo and B-Ball-kun. I really love Seo.

And I started watching Spice and Wolf because I keep seeing like everyone on /r/anime rave about it all the dang time. I really like it! Their relationship is great. Wanna touch that fluffy tail.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #3151 on: 11/ 17/ 2014, 11:49:59 PM »
I really love Seo.

YES. She's my favourite. XD <333

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3152 on: 11/ 18/ 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
I felt a real bond with her when she was laughing at all the people dying in the movie.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3153 on: 11/ 25/ 2014, 08:08:20 AM »
Just watched the first episode of Nozaki-kun and it was beautiful.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3154 on: 11/ 29/ 2014, 10:41:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I finished Spice and Wolf. That might be my favorite romantic relationship in anime. It develops really well. Holo is one of the most realistic feeling characters I've seen too. She doesn't feel like a trope or an archetype or whatever, she feels very complex emotionally like a real person. Kinda weird to say about a wolf girl. The only thing I really didn't like was the weak ending to the second season. And that there will probably never be a third season. Guess I have a lot of reading ahead of me.

And I just started Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm going into it somewhat blind, pretty much only having heard people say how good it is and it seems cool so far.

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Classiest of the classy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #3155 on: 11/ 29/ 2014, 11:26:38 PM »
And I just started Fullmetal Alchemist. I'm going into it somewhat blind, pretty much only having heard people say how good it is and it seems cool so far.

Brotherhood or OG?

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3156 on: 11/ 30/ 2014, 09:42:05 AM »
The first. I know they both go in different directions story-wise, so I'll watch both.

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
« Reply #3157 on: 11/ 30/ 2014, 06:31:29 PM »
The first. I know they both go in different directions story-wise, so I'll watch both.
thats what I did, there are certain areas that are handled very differently in both.

oh god, you get to witness the glory that is Armstrong for the first time...

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
« Reply #3158 on: 12/ 01/ 2014, 12:10:44 AM »
Marathoned Season 1 of Fate Kleid Liner Prisma Illya and I must say, I like it a lot more than the rest of the entire Fate series. Gonna get around to Season 2 soon. Magical qurl swag

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3159 on: 12/ 11/ 2014, 11:06:35 PM »
Oh yeah.

I finished FMA and I really liked it. I thought it was really cool. The ending wasn't bad but it was pretty unsatisfying. So it's a good thing I've got Brotherhood! They're really tearing ass through the opening stuff. I'm sure they're assuming you've seen the first series or read some of the manga. It's still kinda crazy how much characterization and stuff they're leaving out though. It also seems way lighter tonally. There's a lot more exaggerated reactions and stuff like that. Not sure how I feel about it. I am enjoying, of course. It's also interesting to contrast the art of the original series to Brotherhood. The original is kind of on the tail end of (for lack of a better term) "classic" anime, where Brotherhood is full on "modern" with some changes in art and character design along with colors and stuff. Not saying that the original series looks bad at all, it holds up really well. Good stuff.

And between that I got a wild hair up my ass that lead me to giving Panty and Stocking a shot. And hey, it's pretty good! I still think a lot of the gross out humor and shit is lame, but some of it is so fucking dumb and done so earnestly that it kinda works. Everything else is straight up Gainax stupidity. Honestly I think the other part of my hang up on it was how hyped to hell it was. That doesn't turn me off of stuff too often, but it did here for some reason. Divorced from that it's a solid good time. I can't get over how great the ending is. It works on so many levels. I love it. And the dub is incredible. I know some people get hung up on how profane it is, but I think there's something to an American localization of a Japanese made lovingly over the top parody of American cartoons making it so much more extreme. And it ties into the characters too. Panty is dumb and not creative so she says fuck a lot, where as Stocking chains stuff together more. And the creativity in the terms used really impressed me. Stuff like "I've got so many faces to rocking chair!" and references to felching and shit. Really the only problem is that the demon sisters don't roll their Rs enough. It's nice to change your mind about things and start enjoying them.

Jesus, I really write huh.