Anime of the Internet Age
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anime of the Internet Age  (Read 176727 times)

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3160 on: 12/ 19/ 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
I guess the Khara shorts go here. This week is very interesting. Seems to be a prelude to the last Eva film. The water changing colors, the End of Eva Asuka's along side 3.0 Asuka, Rei-Q and Rei in her school clothes, and Shinji wearing his school clothes in the reflection at the end are very intriguing. Seems to lend a lot credence to the timeloop theory or something like it. Especially since the last film is now titled Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 and is written in the same way as the original series rather than in the way of the rest of the films.

Guys I'm thinking about Eva again.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #3161 on: 01/ 11/ 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
Finished watching Nichijou.

I hate when slice of life anime ends. I spend so much time hanging out with Yukko, Mio, Mai, Hakase, and Nano that it's lonely once it's ended.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3162 on: 01/ 12/ 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
A couple days ago when I was at that point of being sick where all I could do is lie down and wish for death, I blasted through Sakurasou no Pet... whatever. I really enjoyed it. I though the dramatic stuff worked well, mostly because it was very relatable. The idea that hard work may not always pay off, jealousy over naturally talented people, unrequited love, it's all stuff that many of us have felt. There were a few times where it was very close to falling into over the top melodrama, but there was restraint shown.

The romance felt a little weaker than the dramatic stuff. I can't really place my finger on why. Especially Jin and Misaki. I felt like I know their pasts together and all that, but I don't get why they're so into each other. Or something. I don't know. I was rooting for Nanami, even though it was obvious she didn't have a chance. I mean, come on. Coooooome on. That's probably my biggest problem with the show, how obvious it was that Sorata would end up with Mashiro.

I also think it's a little problematic to have Mashiro, a character who literally can not take care of herself, as a main love interest. It kinda rubs me the wrong way. Also she is not fucking autistic. If you actually look at the characteristics of someone with autism, she has almost none of them. She feels like an amalgamation of a lot of different disorders and eccentricities. More than anything I just these knuckle dragging dipshits that throw around autism at anyone with any kind of eccentricity.

Also Plan C slayed me every time.

So, yeah! Really good, thought provoking show. Even if it took a couple days for my sick brain to put everything together.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3163 on: 01/ 12/ 2015, 09:36:07 PM »
I loved that show. Especially the way the main character dealt with the fact that he'd never be as good as Mashiro. (I too, was rooting for the VA character)

Honestly, I thought Mashiro was on the autistic spectrum because she reminded me of someone I spend a lot of time with. From the massive creativity to the inability to properly process how other people feel. So, sorry, I disagree with that.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #3164 on: 01/ 12/ 2015, 10:58:08 PM »
Finished watching Nichijou.

I hate when slice of life anime ends. I spend so much time hanging out with Yukko, Mio, Mai, Hakase, and Nano that it's lonely once it's ended.

I typically get kind of depressed after a show ends, but I rarely hit the level of sadness I got upon finishing Nichijou. Only other slice-of-lifes that did that to me were Azumanga Daioh, Ichigo Marshmallow, and Mitsudomoe. Nichijou was still the hardest, though. It's the slice-of-life effect.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3165 on: 01/ 12/ 2015, 11:00:56 PM »
I loved that show. Especially the way the main character dealt with the fact that he'd never be as good as Mashiro. (I too, was rooting for the VA character)

Honestly, I thought Mashiro was on the autistic spectrum because she reminded me of someone I spend a lot of time with. From the massive creativity to the inability to properly process how other people feel. So, sorry, I disagree with that.
I'm not saying she doesn't have characteristics of autism, I just don't think she's strictly autistic. A little wiki refreshing reminded that typically for someone to be diagnosed with it, they need to match at least 6 symptoms from a couple different categories. She may have some issues with communication and interpreting other people, but she certainly doesn't have the repetitive fixations and fascinations commonly associated with autism. Not even her art, seeing as she left that career behind for manga. You're absolutely right in that she shows some characteristics of it, but I just think there's a lot more to her.

I really love that there's a show that lets us have a conversation like this. Psychology is dope!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3166 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 12:06:49 AM »

I really love that there's a show that lets us have a conversation like this. Psychology is dope!

Oh thank gawd, I thought I'd come across as a douche there for a minute. 

I can agree that she probably wasn't meant to be straight up autistic, but probably as a savant. Actually, while I was looking up the definition (to make sure I was being precise) I found this - (emphasis added by me)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome

Approximately half of savants are autistic; the other half often have some form of central nervous system injury or disease. Among those with autism, it is estimated that 10% have some form of savant abilities.
No widely accepted cognitive theory explains savants' combination of talent and deficit. It has been suggested that individuals with autism are biased towards detail-focused processing and that this cognitive style predisposes individuals either with or without autism to savant talents.

It's possible that the anime would be really crass and consider her an "idiot savant" because of her lack of ability to do day to day activities, but that's probably stretching it.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that scientists really don't know much at all about the brain and it's functions. 

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #3167 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 01:52:11 AM »
I typically get kind of depressed after a show ends, but I rarely hit the level of sadness I got upon finishing Nichijou. Only other slice-of-lifes that did that to me were Azumanga Daioh, Ichigo Marshmallow, and Mitsudomoe. Nichijou was still the hardest, though. It's the slice-of-life effect.

With Azumanga I felt more bittersweet. Yeah I was having fun watching them goof off but at the end of the series they had to grow up and leave for college so it felt right that the series ended there.

Nichijou I can imagine they are still in high school having dopey fun but without me watching (in a non-creepy way haha) so it's even sadder that I don't get to see it and laugh along

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3168 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 06:25:41 AM »
I cannot get into Nichijou and I have no idea why.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
« Reply #3169 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 07:50:28 AM »

Same. I've watched the first few eps at least 3 times.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #3170 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 12:15:17 PM »
Nichijou I can imagine they are still in high school having dopey fun but without me watching (in a non-creepy way haha) so it's even sadder that I don't get to see it and laugh along

Yeah, that's probably what hit me the most. Like..."Why would you end it here!? IT'S NOT OVER. YOU CAN DO MORE. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD."

Same. I've watched the first few eps at least 3 times.

Like I always say, the show gets better and funnier the further in you get. You can't base the whole show on the first few eps. The type of humour stays the same, though, so if that's the problem then I can see how you wouldn't be into it.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #3171 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
I started by watching clips on Youtube and nearly burned through the entire series just from that.

@Manic Maverick
I think it's even worse that Mio, Mai, and Yukko were just getting to know Nano and Hakase when it ended. A second season of them going to the beach and Yukata festivals would have been sooo good.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3172 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
Oh thank gawd, I thought I'd come across as a douche there for a minute. 

I can agree that she probably wasn't meant to be straight up autistic, but probably as a savant. Actually, while I was looking up the definition (to make sure I was being precise) I found this - (emphasis added by me)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome

It's possible that the anime would be really crass and consider her an "idiot savant" because of her lack of ability to do day to day activities, but that's probably stretching it.  The more I think about it, the more I realize that scientists really don't know much at all about the brain and it's functions.

No worries! Psychology was one of the few things I loved in school, so I love talking about it.

I totally agree with her being a savant. I wonder if anyone with a psychological background has done an analysis on her. Could be interesting.

Also through some reddit threads I ended up seeing where the LN goes after the anime ends and let's just say they ended at a good time. Oooooof. Poor Nanami gets it especially bad, to the point where I feel like the author hates her.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #3173 on: 01/ 13/ 2015, 05:03:16 PM »
I started by watching clips on Youtube and nearly burned through the entire series just from that.

@Manic Maverick
I think it's even worse that Mio, Mai, and Yukko were just getting to know Nano and Hakase when it ended. A second season of them going to the beach and Yukata festivals would have been sooo good.

DON'T DO THIS TO ME. AAAUUUUGHHH. THAT WOULD BE THE BEST. Seeing all of the ridiculous situations they get into during a festival would be the greatest.

Despite Nichijou being my #1 anime, I still haven't even read the manga. I'm terrible.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #3174 on: 01/ 15/ 2015, 10:02:46 AM »
DON'T DO THIS TO ME. AAAUUUUGHHH. THAT WOULD BE THE BEST. Seeing all of the ridiculous situations they get into during a festival would be the greatest.

Despite Nichijou being my #1 anime, I still haven't even read the manga. I'm terrible.
I'm actually reading through the manga now and I must say, it is well worth the read.

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
« Reply #3175 on: 01/ 16/ 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
So I have some time between the winter shows to actually work on my plan to watch list. Finally started Toradora last night after having the bluray box sitting on my shelf since July. Three episodes in, and Taiga isn't as much of a bitch as I thought she'd be. Not as much as some other tsunderes anyway. She actually has an adorable side. But then again I'm only three episodes in, so that may change later. Hoping to marathon run the series and finish it by the end of the weekend.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
« Reply #3176 on: 01/ 16/ 2015, 10:57:38 AM »
You will probably like it all the way through. I am the minority in my feelings about Taiga.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #3177 on: 01/ 16/ 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
I'm actually reading through the manga now and I must say, it is well worth the read.

Does it go past where the anime left off? Because that would be the best of all things.

So I have some time between the winter shows to actually work on my plan to watch list. Finally started Toradora last night after having the bluray box sitting on my shelf since July. Three episodes in, and Taiga isn't as much of a bitch as I thought she'd be. Not as much as some other tsunderes anyway. She actually has an adorable side. But then again I'm only three episodes in, so that may change later. Hoping to marathon run the series and finish it by the end of the weekend.

Like tsunderes in general, Taiga gets better and more open the further in you go. So I'm sure you'll love her more and more. She's the best. <3 <3 <3

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
« Reply #3178 on: 01/ 18/ 2015, 01:21:43 AM »
And that was Toradora. Loved it. Was kinda worried there at the last episode that it was gonna have a bullshit ending, but it was saved at the last minute. Wouldve been so annoying and probably ruin the whole show for me if it had ended how it seemed was going to after all that melodrama.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #3179 on: 01/ 22/ 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
Does it go past where the anime left off? Because that would be the best of all things.
yes