Anime of the Internet Age
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Anime of the Internet Age  (Read 176243 times)

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #3180 on: 03/ 09/ 2015, 03:22:33 PM »
So I finally watched Princess Jellyfish, and I fucking loved it. Had no idea Kana Hanazawa was in it, which just made the experience even better. My only problem is that I'm not sure if they were going the "You have to become a super pretty lady to be noticed" route or the "You're fine how you are" route (since shoujo tends to focus on the former, though I guess this is josei, which is a genre I much enjoy). I much prefer the latter, and feel it's a better message. Though, maybe they were going for that message since Sexy Crazy Lady was portraying the former route and it blew up in her face.

Also, the Sisterhood were all adorable and I honestly would have been their boyfriend forever (except for Jiji, since I'm about 40 years too young) even though they'd probably run away from me before I even stepped into the general vicinity of the sidewalk in front of their complex. Tsukimi also fueled my supreme love for glasses/twinbraid girls, which is, to be honest, the initial thing that got me interested in the show. .__.;;

Anyway. Awesome show was awesome and I want more of it why isn't there more there needs to be more they can totally do more.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3181 on: 03/ 09/ 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
Loved princess jellyfish. The author of the original manga also did an autobio comic about her early life and first art mentor that's really good.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #3182 on: 03/ 10/ 2015, 04:51:45 PM »
I'm surprised it took you this long, Mav. Kuragehime is definitely one of the best josei I've ever seen. Also, yes KanaHana. Also, amazing OP. Also, super amazing characters. Season 2 plzzzzzzzzz.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #3183 on: 03/ 10/ 2015, 08:00:03 PM »
Loved princess jellyfish. The author of the original manga also did an autobio comic about her early life and first art mentor that's really good.

I really need to read the manga. Though I guess it'll lack the Kana, but eh. XD And I feel like I saw something about that autobio manga, actually. I should check that out too.

I'm surprised it took you this long, Mav. Kuragehime is definitely one of the best josei I've ever seen. Also, yes KanaHana. Also, amazing OP. Also, super amazing characters. Season 2 plzzzzzzzzz.

I actually was trying to see it for a long time and, in the midst of my recent four boring days without internet, only just realized that I'd had it on my HDD and completely forgot it was there. XD Ploughed through it in about two days.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
« Reply #3184 on: 03/ 18/ 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
Finished Inou Battle wa Nichijou yesterday and aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHHHhhhhhh Hatoko my precious cinnamon roll. And Prez too. Overall, I thought the show did a lot of things well and it was very entertaining to watch. The characters were all fantastic and I really liked the development of the actual plot (albeit very slowly). The scenes at the end with the guillotine had me like yooooooo. Not to mention how episode 8 completely destroyed me Hatoko. It was a fun show.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3185 on: 03/ 18/ 2015, 07:48:18 PM »
Helllllll yeah. Every thing Trigger does is gold.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #3186 on: 04/ 05/ 2015, 11:00:14 PM »
Watched the Madoka Magica movies. Boy I don't know how I feel about Rebellion. The more I think about it, the more I don't like it.

redlemon

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3187 on: 04/ 06/ 2015, 04:42:46 AM »
I just never bothered. I have a rough idea of the plot and it sounds like it undermines the TV show just for the sake of making more content.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3188 on: 04/ 06/ 2015, 09:59:50 AM »
It really does. I hate to be cynical, but it really seems like they want to capitalize on the popularity of the show and they needed a more open-ended ending to do so. The actual content of the ending I kind of understand, Homura's reasoning and stuff, but it just has so many problems. It's kind of a mess. At least it was pretty.

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
« Reply #3189 on: 04/ 06/ 2015, 11:17:25 PM »
Watched the Madoka Magica movies. Boy I don't know how I feel about Rebellion. The more I think about it, the more I don't like it.
As an active hater of Rebellion, I could sit here and rant for a while about everything I disliked about the movie, but instead I just refuse to acknowledge its existence and say that it is not canon in the Madoka story.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3190 on: 04/ 07/ 2015, 01:20:52 PM »
The conclusion I came is that it's bad fan fiction. Here's all the girls having normal magical girl fun times! Homura and Mami finally fight! Here's my magical girl OC! (plz don't steal) The incubators get fucked up! Here's a crazy dark twist! It's just... ugh. If they had released the first 30-45 minutes of it as a what-if fanservice OVA, I would have been much more ok with it. I'm with you. It's non-canon.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #3191 on: 04/ 07/ 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
Just finished Monster. That was quite a ride. Fucking amazing. It squashed so many overused tropes. I loved the moral questions it raised. Instead of presenting things as "good vs evil", it mixed things up. Grey vs grey. Angels as devils in disguise as angels in disguise as devils in disguise as angels in disguise.

Mr. Grimmer was my favourite character, I think. His personality was so intricate, despite his inability to display emotion properly.

And Lunge actually annoyed me at first, but over time I started liking him a lot more. Especially with that last part where he completely owned Roberto.

Anyway. A very fitting end too, I think.

Sean

•   
  • foooooooooooooooooooooooomin
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #3192 on: 04/ 09/ 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Does Clannad get good, also do all the girls have mental problems?

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3193 on: 04/ 11/ 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
I haven't watched either mind you but my understanding is that clannad is something you go through to fully enjoy after story.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
« Reply #3194 on: 04/ 18/ 2015, 07:20:10 AM »
After story was where most of the magic happened for me. Lots of feels there.

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3195 on: 04/ 20/ 2015, 04:16:04 AM »
Got to see Time of Eve in the Cinema yesterday. It was really good.

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
« Reply #3196 on: 06/ 10/ 2015, 04:15:48 PM »
I watched some movies.

Expelled from Paradise got added to Netflix. I like it a lot. I didn't know it was all CG. It looked really nice. Except for a few moments when the animation seemed weirdly low framerate and looked jerky and unnatural. And speaking of, y'all know I don't mind fanservice, but Angela's wedgie and constantly jiggling boobs were totally unnecessary. Nice butt tho. The theme of contrasting the perfect, yet limited paradise and the harsh, yet free real world was really strong. Dingo challenging the idea of working yourself to death just to keep ascending the ranks without taking time to relax really resonated with me. People talk about how Urobuchi is all about the character deaths and the plot twists, but really I think his signature are these psychological themes. Especially in something like Psycho-Pass where, much as I love it, it can get a little hamfisted. And it's pretty damn cool to hear Steve Blum in new anime.

5 Centimeters Per Second was on Crunchyroll last weekend, so I finally checked it out. That was a real emotional night, lemme tell you. The first part was rough, but fuuuuuuuuuuck the second part was brutal. I thought the ending was really positive, actually. I saw the way he smiled after looking back and not seeing her was him finally accepting that she's gone and FINALLY being able to move on with his life. Great stuff.

Makster

•   
  • Mada Mada Dane
  • Badges Rockstar Moonspeaker Sauninda harder Sauninda tee hee hee Penguin Tagged Spotted Memebon Inufantry Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
    • The Electric Press
« Reply #3197 on: 06/ 11/ 2015, 01:25:25 AM »
Finished a butt load of anime this last week;

Puella Magi Madoka Magica- Good but I kinda knew stuff about it before so not so much a shock factor.

Kantai Collection- Great, I loved how they mixed the dramatical aspects with the cutesy slice of life school girl anime type stuff. If Joseph Joestar was a ship then he would be Kongou.

Durarara!! First Season- I finally polished off the second arc of DRRR!! so I can watch Shou and x2 and whatever next. Its really annoying in the English Dub that they don't translate the text on screen and even worse when Simon and Izaya talk Russian. Episode 24 you have no idea what they are saying and its kinda key to the plot revelation on who knows what etc.

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
« Reply #3198 on: 06/ 12/ 2015, 04:25:18 AM »
I watched some movies.

5 Centimeters Per Second was on Crunchyroll last weekend, so I finally checked it out. That was a real emotional night, lemme tell you. The first part was rough, but fuuuuuuuuuuck the second part was brutal. I thought the ending was really positive, actually. I saw the way he smiled after looking back and not seeing her was him finally accepting that she's gone and FINALLY being able to move on with his life. Great stuff.

5 cm per second is such a great movie.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #3199 on: 07/ 30/ 2015, 09:21:29 PM »
Been catching up on last season's shows.

Nagato-Yuki: Did it basically just say that the original Haruhi show was just a story that was written!? My brain. MY BRAIN.