VHS era Anime
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: VHS era Anime  (Read 40889 times)

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
VHS era Anime
« on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
Been watching anime since the 80's? Don't like anime that is currently airing and think it's all trash and rehashes? Give up on a new season of anime after only an episode or two because "anime used to be better way back when"? Wish those damn kids would get off your lawn and stop talking about their damn "moe" and "fan service"?

Welcome home my friend.
« Last Edit: 03/ 10/ 2011, 05:36:29 PM by Calpis »

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #1 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
I was born in 1993 but I fucking loooooooooooooooooooooooove Captain Harlock

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
Retro Anime
« Reply #2 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 05:17:12 PM »
Been watching anime since the 80's? Don't like anime that is currently airing and think it's all trash and rehashes? Give up on a new season of anime after only an episode or two because "anime used to be better way back when"? Wish those damn kids would get off your lawn and stop talking about their damn "moe" and "fan service"?

Welcome home my friend.

I couldn't help but laugh... because yeah... thumbs up my friend.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Retro Anime
« Reply #3 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
The most retro thing I like is Card captor sakura which I guess is about as old as I am.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #4 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
I have always enjoyed the older gundams. My favorite is still 08th MS Team.

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Retro Anime
« Reply #5 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 05:57:15 PM »
I have basically started watching anime last year. Meaning when I joined this forum.

But I am eager to learn ^^
Could there be a list of some kind of "must watch" stuff?
That would force me to watch them ;D

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #6 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
I have basically started watching anime last year. Meaning when I joined this forum.

But I am eager to learn ^^
Could there be a list of some kind of "must watch" stuff?
That would force me to watch them ;D

Your first assignment is Lain.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #7 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
Good choice.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #8 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
I was born in 1993 but I fucking loooooooooooooooooooooooove Captain Harlock

AHAHAH, damn right. Love that show so much. I never saw the OVA though.

This. So much this. And then Texhnolyze, if you're still reeling from Lain.

I'm a fan of old stuff and new stuff. It's all good to me. I've been trying to search for the original episodes of GeGeGe no Kitaro, but I can't find them anywhere. I want to watch all of the seasons. Like...badly. :C Dark Japanese folklore might be my favourite type of folklore of all time.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
Retro Anime
« Reply #9 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
Violence Jack...........nuff said.
« Last Edit: 01/ 31/ 2011, 10:13:18 PM by Hooligan, Reason: 2000th post!!! »

JusticeDude

•   
  • j/k, it's always spookytime
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #10 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 10:08:06 PM »
Cyber City Oedo 808.  AMAZING SHOW.  I picked up a (damaged) box set of all three OVAs for $5.  The English dub might be better than the original Japanese.  Just sayin'.
Oedo Cyber City 808 English Opening Small | Large

-Area 88.  Inspired the game UN Squadron.
-Dirty Pair.
-All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku.

Also, by this point I shouldn't have to mention Fist of the North Star, should I?  Just in case, the whole original run of 152 episodes is available free on Hulu and it's a fantastic show.  It occasionally has the trappings of a low budged 80s cartoon, but overcomes it with a generally great sense of pacing and good story.  I didn't even realize how important the pacing and flow was until I tried watching the more recent New Fist of the North Star series and noticed that it was utterly lacking, and ruined the show.

Also, you guys are making me feel way old citing Lain and Card Captor Sakura.  That stuff is mid to late 90s.  I forever identify that era as precisely when things started being no longer retro :/

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #11 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 10:31:16 PM »

-Dirty Pair.
-All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku.

Also, you guys are making me feel way old citing Lain and Card Captor Sakura.  That stuff is mid to late 90s.  I forever identify that era as precisely when things started being no longer retro :/

Agree, agree and agree.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #12 on: 01/ 31/ 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
Also, you guys are making me feel way old citing Lain and Card Captor Sakura.  That stuff is mid to late 90s.  I forever identify that era as precisely when things started being no longer retro :/

Yeah, agreed on this. I consider anything before...like...'95 to be retro. I have nostalgia with later ones, but that doesn't really make them retro imo.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
Retro Anime
« Reply #13 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 12:49:46 AM »
Do you guys consider Rurouni Kenshin retro?

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
Retro Anime
« Reply #14 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 12:54:33 AM »

I don't even know what that is. So I am going to go with "yes".

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
Retro Anime
« Reply #15 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 12:58:56 AM »
It's :

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
Retro Anime
« Reply #16 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 01:04:46 AM »
I don't even know what that is. So I am going to go with "yes".
Fuck, now I feel old to. That was in '96 I think. I was 11 back then. That sounds old to me...

I'm sure Mr. Cantler or Miss EG are gonna tell us youngins to shut up at some point about feeling old.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
Retro Anime
« Reply #17 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 01:16:44 AM »
Fuck, now I feel old to. That was in '96 I think. I was 11 back then. That sounds old to me...

I'm sure Mr. Cantler or Miss EG are gonna tell us youngins to shut up at some point about feeling old.

Well for clarifications sake, Retro in this case doesn't necessarily mean "super fucking old", it means "whatever anime is to old to fit into the Current Generation stuff."

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #18 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 04:15:19 AM »

I don't feel like it is...But it was made in '96...Hmmm...

Being "old" is relative. I could be looked at as a geezer by young high school students. Feeling old just means shit ain't what it used to be, which works at any point in your life. Now, if we want to get technical, "old" is over 60. No one here is over 60, so no one here is old. Boom.

Does anyone know if all the seasons for GeGeGe no Kitaro can be found anywhere? I'm seriously clawing at my face over here. While I can find random episodes, I can never find an entire season. It's so goddamn frustrating.

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
    • My Anime List
Retro Anime
« Reply #19 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 08:00:12 AM »
I'm not saying they're ancient, I'm just remembering the discussion we had in the bar about who was oldest on the forums and such. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO YELL AT ME, MAV?!