VHS era Anime
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: VHS era Anime  (Read 40905 times)

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Retro Anime
« Reply #20 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 08:06:59 AM »
Been watching anime since the 80's? Don't like anime that is currently airing and think it's all trash and rehashes? Give up on a new season of anime after only an episode or two because "anime used to be better way back when"? Wish those damn kids would get off your lawn and stop talking about their damn "moe" and "fan service"?

Welcome home my friend.

Sadly I fall into this category, I'm not saying current anime is bad it's just been a long while since I've seen a new series. As far as retro I always do the 10 year rule when considering something is retro/classic/old.

First ever VHS purchase was Record of Lodoss War back when suncoast used to exist. First DVD was Lain.  We also had a channel (early 90's) that would air anime late night i think it was Friday at midnight or Saturday at midnight they aired Vampire Hunter D, 3X3 Eyes, Barefoot Gen, Doomed Megalopolis, Wicked City and a few others.

JusticeDude

•   
  • j/k, it's always spookytime
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #21 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 08:24:46 AM »
Well for clarifications sake, Retro in this case doesn't necessarily mean "super fucking old", it means "whatever anime is to old to fit into the Current Generation stuff."
I really feel that in anime (as well as games) it's too simplistic to divide between retro and current.  There are several grades between new and old; it's not a binary thing.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #22 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
Fuck, now I feel old to. That was in '96 I think. I was 11 back then. That sounds old to me...

I'm sure Mr. Cantler or Miss EG are gonna tell us youngins to shut up at some point about feeling old.

me:

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
Retro Anime
« Reply #23 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 10:01:40 AM »
me:

Now all I can imagine is you hitting us on the head with a staff if we misbehave

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #24 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
I don't think it's that current anime is generally bad, it's just that I've digested 30+ years of it and I know all the formulas. 8 out of 10 shows are just reskinned versions of other older shows, and I already know what's going to happen.

That's not always a bad thing, some formulas are good and I like them, but if a formula's being used, it's very, very obvious to me. Ika Musume, for example. I like it, but I'm not enjoying it as much as you guys are, because I've seen a dozen or more shows exactly like it in my lifetime.

Imagine that a few years from now, a new game comes out where you find and catch little monsters, and then level them up and make them do battle. All the younger kids go apeshit for it. Best thing ever. Even if you think the game is pretty cool, you're not gonna bounce around the room about it, because you know it's just a Pokemon rehash.

So it's not that us old farts think all new anime is shitty, it's just that it's harder for us to get excited about most stuff unless it's something wildly original. Give it ten years, this will happen to you, too. But you will appreciate the truly original stuff all the more.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #25 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
I'm not saying they're ancient, I'm just remembering the discussion we had in the bar about who was oldest on the forums and such. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO YELL AT ME, MAV?!

XD I didn't mean to come off angry or anything.

Old vs new

Yeah, I can see what you mean by that. It's possible to even tell the difference in decades, so 3 decades just puts it all onto a plate.

Everything has a formula though, even outside of anime. Nothing's been original ever since the first form of media was discovered. XD I used to get disgruntled about that, but meh. I'd rather get excited than hate everything that comes out, like I used to...

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #26 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy new shows every season. It's just a difference in my reaction to it.

Youg otaku: "Holy shit this is awesooome! Look guys!"

Old otaku: "Ah, it's one of these shows. I like that kind of show. I will enjoy this."

Avalon

•   
  • are you next ARE YOU NEXT
  • Badges Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #27 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 05:42:29 PM »
Cyber City Oedo 808.  AMAZING SHOW.  I picked up a (damaged) box set of all three OVAs for $5.  The English dub might be better than the original Japanese.  Just sayin'.
Oedo Cyber City 808 English Opening
-Area 88.  Inspired the game UN Squadron.
-Dirty Pair.
-All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku.

Man, I love how super 80s that show is, that's brilliant.

ALSO DIRTY PAIR FUCK YEAH

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
  • Badges Inufantry Jill Sandwich Moderator Penguin Tagged Rockmelon Game Night Sauninda harder Sauninda Beedog Approved SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
    • My Anime List
Retro Anime
« Reply #28 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy new shows every season. It's just a difference in my reaction to it.

Youg otaku: "Holy shit this is awesooome! Look guys!"

Old otaku: "Ah, it's one of these shows. I like that kind of show. I will enjoy this."
I dunno if you've seen it, but has there been an old otaku show like Panty and Stocking? Curious I am.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #29 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
I haven't seen any of P&S yet, so I couldn't say. I've been too busy to watch much lately. The only thing I've seen from this season is Ika Musume, and I could name at least 10 shows exactly like that one. But I still liked it, which goes back to my point.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #30 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
I dunno if you've seen it, but has there been an old otaku show like Panty and Stocking? Curious I am.

Well what do you mean 'like it'? Like a parody style anime, that art style or what? Seriously, Ill put it though the old brain/

Jack Hollow

• Attack Bear Handler
  •   
  • Pupupupupu
    • My Anime List
Retro Anime
« Reply #31 on: 02/ 01/ 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
I mean a show with the same tone/humor/execution (art style not withstanding) of the whole thing. Or what's the closest thing that comes to it.

PsychoSoldier

•   
  • I like chipmunks
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda It's a Lady! tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Retro Anime
« Reply #32 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 12:58:52 PM »
Cowboy Bebop is all your need.

Sharp Cypher

•   
  • Lurkin'
  • Badges Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Spotted Memebon Happy Babies! Rockmelon Game Night
    • My Personal Website
Retro Anime
« Reply #33 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
I mean a show with the same tone/humor/execution (art style not withstanding) of the whole thing. Or what's the closest thing that comes to it.

Excel Saga, vintage 1999.  (That's right, EG.  12 years ago.)

Sharp Cypher

•   
  • Lurkin'
  • Badges Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Spotted Memebon Happy Babies! Rockmelon Game Night
    • My Personal Website
Retro Anime
« Reply #34 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
I don't think it's that current anime is generally bad, it's just that I've digested 30+ years of it and I know all the formulas. 8 out of 10 shows are just reskinned versions of other older shows, and I already know what's going to happen.

That's not always a bad thing, some formulas are good and I like them, but if a formula's being used, it's very, very obvious to me. Ika Musume, for example. I like it, but I'm not enjoying it as much as you guys are, because I've seen a dozen or more shows exactly like it in my lifetime.

Imagine that a few years from now, a new game comes out where you find and catch little monsters, and then level them up and make them do battle. All the younger kids go apeshit for it. Best thing ever. Even if you think the game is pretty cool, you're not gonna bounce around the room about it, because you know it's just a Pokemon rehash.

So it's not that us old farts think all new anime is shitty, it's just that it's harder for us to get excited about most stuff unless it's something wildly original. Give it ten years, this will happen to you, too. But you will appreciate the truly original stuff all the more.

I agree with this.

To me, "retro" refers to a specific period and before.  I wasn't in the anime scene too much, but I remember Tenchi Muyo, Ranma 1/2, and Ah! My Goddess representing an up-surge in anime popularity in the states.  This was around the time that people outside of fansubbers began really noticing anime, because it was doing things that American animation never did.  It became easier to find anime on VHS (almost always dubbed), too.  It was often really expensive, though.  Think $15-30 per episode.

Around this time, there was a huge surge, but it eventually died down until things like Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon revived interest in the states.  I don't have the numbers to back any of this up, but it feels that way to me.

So, I'd say that, to me, retro is anything that came out during or before the mid-1990's.  Before wide-spread commercial availability.  Because there was less available, only the best made it stateside.  That can definitely color people's remembrance of "the good old days".

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
Retro Anime
« Reply #35 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Excel Saga, vintage 1999.  (That's right, EG.  12 years ago.)

I was going to say Excel Saga too actually. Also, 12 years....urgh.

Or, Abenobashi. It has an overarching plot, but it also takes shots at different types of anime in parody style.  (gets a bit serious at the end) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Shopping_Arcade_Abenobashi
Circa 2002!

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #36 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 06:55:39 PM »
Abenobashi was so good.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #37 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Excel Saga and Abenobashi seem to recent to me though...Anything before that? Like maybe 80s or something? I'm interested to know as well.

Also, yes, Excel Saga and Abenobashi were amazing.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Retro Anime
« Reply #38 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 08:00:34 PM »
My roommate loves and highly recommends Legend of the Galactic Heroes, that's mid to late 80's. I can't speak on how much you'll enjoy it though.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #39 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 08:25:13 PM »