VHS era Anime
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: VHS era Anime  (Read 38936 times)

Manic Maverick

• Fu Boy
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #40 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
My roommate loves and highly recommends Legend of the Galactic Heroes, that's mid to late 80's. I can't speak on how much you'll enjoy it though.

As a comparison to P&S, or in general?

http://rockmelonsoda.com/forum/index.php?topic=669.0

Fun fact: I'm a failed excuse for a human being, cause I don't think I ever finished that series. I've gone over ten years saying "Oh yeah, I'll finish that soon!" Then I forget about it. Over...10...years. What's worse is that I could finish the entire thing in one sitting. Goddamn...I win at life. Same goes for Lodoss War and a few others I can't remember.

Er...brb, Macross...

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Retro Anime
« Reply #41 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 09:15:15 PM »
I thought you were asking for good 80's shows to watch?

And no, not in comparison to P&S. The two shows couldn't be anymore different. My roommate would never watch P&S in a million years, even if you paid him.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #42 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
That makes me sad. It looks like such a good show.

Manic Maverick

• Fu Boy
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #43 on: 02/ 02/ 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
I thought you were asking for good 80's shows to watch?

And no, not in comparison to P&S. The two shows couldn't be anymore different. My roommate would never watch P&S in a million years, even if you paid him.

Oh, no. I meant old shows that had that crazy, stylish, and a bit controversial demeanor of P&S (only a bit controversial because the usual subject-matter contrasts the appearance of the show). I'm really interested to see how each one differs, and which one I'd end up preferring. I'm gonna check out the Legend of the Galactic Heroes anyway though. :D

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Retro Anime
« Reply #44 on: 02/ 04/ 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
I did not realize Tuxedo Mask puts on top hats so gentlemanly.

Tuxedo Mask Transformation Small | Large

Manic Maverick

• Fu Boy
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Retro Anime
« Reply #45 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 02:41:49 AM »
Fun fact: I used to wish I was Tuxedo Mask. For the sole purpose of wooing girls. But I would never think any farther ahead than "Drop in from out of nowhere, pose, and~".

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #46 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 07:12:44 AM »
Fun fact: I used to wish I was Tuxedo Mask. For the sole purpose of wooing girls. But I would never think any farther ahead than "Drop in from out of nowhere, pose, and~".

hit on exceptionally stupid girl?

If you're doing it literally, that is.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #47 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 09:08:49 AM »
"Drop in from out of nowhere, pose, and~".

That's pretty much all you would need to do, really. The situation would likely take care of itself at that point. Because you are Tuxedo Mask.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
Retro Anime
« Reply #48 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 09:22:46 AM »
So guys, favourite Retro Anime involving giant robots? Mazinger Z?, Voltron?, Red Baron? ,Patlabor?, Macross? Gundam? you tell

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Retro Anime
« Reply #49 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
Macross Plus. I don't like giant robot anime but it was wonderful.  Mainly because of the bits involving Sharon Apple.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Retro Anime
« Reply #50 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
Side note: I am changing the title of this thread from "retro" to "old school."

Retro implies that it's new thing that's a revival or a throwback to something else, which none of this is. (As in, Mega Man 9 is "retro," Mega Man 2 is old school.)

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
Old School Anime
« Reply #51 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
Cool. Also, confesion, i've never watched Cowboy Bebop, and people say it's awesome

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • All You Can Eat
Old School Anime
« Reply #52 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
While it shouldn't be me who says this, because I haven't seen a lot of great shows either, it is an awesome show and you should watch it! ;D

Great characters and really cool stories. The soundtrack is simply amazing...

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Old School Anime
« Reply #53 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece. People like to hate on it because they think it makes them look hip to think differently, but it truly was a fantastic show. It actually deserves to be as popular as it is. You should definitely watch it.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
Old School Anime
« Reply #54 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 11:11:41 AM »
I watched it out of order. Don't do that. Also don't watch Haruhi in the "right" order. The end is in the middle.

Zeph

• nubbin
  • Brock "Aznable" Samson
  • Badges SCIENCE!
Old School Anime
« Reply #55 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 02:17:31 PM »
I am going to throw in Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. I always thought that those two series were extremely well done and drawn considering their age. It still surprises me that almost 20 years ago, artists were able to draw that fine of detail with limited computer aided coloring and graphics. Plus you can't deny the allure of Char Aznable.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
Old School Anime
« Reply #56 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
I am going to throw in Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. I always thought that those two series were extremely well done and drawn considering their age. It still surprises me that almost 20 years ago, artists were able to draw that fine of detail with limited computer aided coloring and graphics. Plus you can't deny the allure of Char Aznable.
Have you seen 08th MS team? Its my favorite out of all the gundams.

Fun Fact: You are Tuxedo Mask MM. You woo women women wherever you go.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Retro Anime
« Reply #57 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 05:49:31 PM »

Apparently the transformation can also be done in live action

Tuxedo Kamen Transformation (live-action) Small | Large

Also, I liked Cowboy Bebop and want more series like that. 

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
Old School Anime
« Reply #58 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
I also haven't watched a gundam series, i tried seed but i though i was kinda missing something. I really wanna watch original, need to find it online

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Old School Anime
« Reply #59 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 07:50:11 PM »
Looking for recommendations, please. I'm open to just about everything.