VHS era Anime
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: VHS era Anime  (Read 39570 times)

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Old School Anime
« Reply #60 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
You've probably already seen it but gunbuster is a must watch.

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Old School Anime
« Reply #61 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
First I've ever heard of it, I'll give it a watch.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Old School Anime
« Reply #62 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
Rurouni Kenshin is a nice attempt at making a story around Meiji Japan War History.  Expect a lot of absurd sword physics and speeches, but whatever Saito does is gold.  Also expect to not see the last and final arc that the series was made for, but the Kyoto arc was still fun.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
Old School Anime
« Reply #63 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
I love Rurouni Kenshin so much T____T

Also, Evangelion anyone?

fryfry

•   
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • MAL
Old School Anime
« Reply #64 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
Kenshin was a good show. I saw it up to the ending a few times when I was younger.

Also, Evangelion anyone?

Started that 4 or 5 times now, can't get into it at all =/

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
Old School Anime
« Reply #65 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I understand it really took me a while to get into it.

How about Blue Seed anyone watched it?

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Old School Anime
« Reply #66 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
Oh, I thought you said Blue Gender.  That show, of which I was thinking, has lots of screaming and cabbage people.  I still need to finish it.

I also still need to finish Wolf's Rain, but all I ever do is listen to its soundtracks.

From what I saw of it, Black Jack's pretty good.

Cyborg 009, Kikaider somewhat too.  009 is a nice team show, the 2001 series has some good character episodes, especially with Joe.  Also, nice music.

Cyborg 009 OST Cyber Theme Small | Large
« Last Edit: 02/ 05/ 2011, 08:42:27 PM by Captain Highwind »

fryfry

•   
    • MAL
Old School Anime
« Reply #67 on: 02/ 05/ 2011, 11:28:14 PM »
Oh shit, I had forgotten about 009. I saw a bit of it back when I was a kid but never got into it.

Finished Top wo Narae (Gunbuster), really enjoyed it.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Old School Anime
« Reply #68 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 12:47:35 AM »
Never thought I'd live to see the day when Evangelion was considered old school...

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Old School Anime
« Reply #69 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 12:48:39 AM »
Never thought I'd live to see the day when Evangelion was considered old school...

You just shot every one of my choices by saying that. :(

Shot them dead, brother.

fryfry

•   
    • MAL
Old School Anime
« Reply #70 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 12:50:55 AM »

Well if we're classifying "new" as being in the last 10 years...

:(

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Old School Anime
« Reply #71 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:03:28 AM »
But...

Shit was 1995....

やれやれ。

Don't mind me, I'm old.

fryfry

•   
    • MAL
Old School Anime
« Reply #72 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:07:10 AM »
We just called Cowboy Bebop classic too, and that was 98 :(

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Old School Anime
« Reply #73 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:07:45 AM »
What's cel-shading?  That sounds old.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Old School Anime
« Reply #74 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:13:28 AM »
"Classic" is different, though. Cowboy Bebop is definitely a classic. NGE I would say is classic. But old school? Ehhh...

When I hear "old school" I think of stuff like SDF Macross, Space Battleship Yamato, Lupin, Akira, Venus Wars, that sort of thing. 80s stuff. When anime was just starting to dip its toes into US waters.

I'm being technical though, don't let that derail the thread.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Old School Anime
« Reply #75 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:16:45 AM »
I still have not watched Akira.  Why is this, I don't know.

*Checks Netflix*

*No streaming*

Oh that's why.  But when it does...

fryfry

•   
    • MAL
Old School Anime
« Reply #76 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:21:30 AM »
"Classic"

I meant it in terms of age, but yeah.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
Old School Anime
« Reply #77 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:23:54 AM »

I'm being technical though, don't let that derail the thread.

This thread has rails? It's been derailed since the very first post :P

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
Old School Anime
« Reply #78 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:33:10 AM »
Problem officer?

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Eyebrows on FLEEK.
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Old School Anime
« Reply #79 on: 02/ 06/ 2011, 01:36:13 AM »
I agree with Topher, but we have different points of reference than yall do. Anyway.
If we're going by the 10 year mark, I'd recommend Haibane Renmei. it's by the same guy that did Lain (ABe) but I've always felt it was a better series.