Currently Readans
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Currently Readans  (Read 9865 times)

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Currently Readans
« Reply #100 on: 01/ 27/ 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
im impressed that you got through it. the 2 other people i know who tried to read it got pretty turned off by the repellant ideology and decided to stop. despite her being philosophically despicable, ive heard Ayn Rand's actual writing is very very good.

only 4 months late replying to this, but yeah!  It's very well written once you get past the politics of the book.  A lot of the characters were honestly a bit flat, but the book wouldn't have worked as well as it did with tons of dynamic characters.  I made it a personal goal to finish it (partially because a friend told me I would never finish it....IN HIS FACE!) 

I've now started on A Song of Ice and Fire series.  Finished Game of thrones, and now on A Clash of Kings.  Trying to get caught up on the books before I watch the show

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Currently Readans
« Reply #101 on: 01/ 27/ 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
Finished reading Hyperbole and a Half (the book, not the blog) -and while it's only January, I think this is going to be my favorite book of the year. This is the author reading the first chapter.
Allie Brosh, "Hyperbole and a Half" | Talks at Google

Now reading Walden on Wheels.
http://www.amazon.com/Walden-Wheels-Open-Road-Freedom/dp/054402883X
It's good so far. Only about 80 pages in. It's not as lively or amusing as I'd like, but the last two biographical authors I read were Anthony Bourdain and Allie Brosh (see above) soooo, that's kind of difficult to follow up.

The library says I have two weeks to read it, so I'd better hurry the hell along. It got bad reviews on GoodReads, but so did another book I enjoyed - The Ramen King and I
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ramen-King-Inventor-Instant-ebook/dp/B001UUJ5ZK
that guy was also a giant douchenozzle, but he finally realized the changes he needed to make at the end of the book. Hopefully the Walden on Wheels guy does too.

Sean

•   
  • foooooooooooooooooooooooomin
  • Badges Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Currently Readans
« Reply #102 on: 03/ 19/ 2014, 09:23:56 AM »
Aw shucks, if I had known this existed earlier...

reading Last Wish, cause if I can't play the first Witcher to prepare me for Assassin of Kings and Wild Hunt then this is the next best thing. Holy shit what an incredible fucking book this is, and I've just come off of reading Snow Crash and Neuromancer so sitting down with something that doesn't confuse the heck out of me is a welcome change.

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
Currently Readans
« Reply #103 on: 06/ 16/ 2014, 08:20:31 AM »
Mistborn series is fantastic, If you like the Kingkiller Chronicle, definitely check it out

I'm not far in and already hooked, making myself wait until my exam are done until I demolish the whole series

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Currently Readans
« Reply #104 on: 06/ 16/ 2014, 12:11:47 PM »
I read the first Mistborn book and enjoyed it quite a bit. Never got to picking up the other ones. I wonder what keeps me...

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
Currently Readans
« Reply #105 on: 06/ 16/ 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
Kindle bundles are a god send and a curse

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Currently Readans
« Reply #106 on: 06/ 16/ 2014, 02:01:55 PM »
I bet!

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Currently Readans
« Reply #107 on: 06/ 16/ 2014, 03:47:37 PM »
Kindle bundles are a god send and a curse

Truth. Also Daily Deals. I'll throw two bucks at books all day.

Sean

•   
Currently Readans
« Reply #108 on: 06/ 16/ 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
Snodgrass' 'Circuit Breaker', she's a wonderful writer. And I just found a Mass Effect fan-fic she wrote on her site, which got me all kinds of excited.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Currently Readans
« Reply #109 on: 11/ 13/ 2014, 04:19:47 PM »
I just finished reading the count of monte cristo and holy shit that was incredible.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Currently Readans
« Reply #110 on: 11/ 13/ 2014, 04:44:31 PM »
i really need to settle in and get through Mona Lisa Overdrive. how can i call myself a console cowboy without having completed the sprawl trilogy.

Sean

•   
Currently Readans
« Reply #111 on: 01/ 15/ 2015, 07:30:29 PM »
i really need to settle in and get through Mona Lisa Overdrive. how can i call myself a console cowboy without having completed the sprawl trilogy.
Oh neat, I'm slogging through Count Zero at the moment.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Currently Readans
« Reply #112 on: 01/ 15/ 2015, 10:52:51 PM »
i really liked count zero. read it over the summer.