Currently Readans
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Currently Readans  (Read 10149 times)

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
Currently Readans
« Reply #80 on: 02/ 04/ 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
Good way through the first book of the Gaunt's Ghosts series, enjoying it so far, although I do get the feeling every now that Dan Abnett is overly dramatic

"Their eyes met. The exchange was like two automatic range finders achieving mutual target lock."

(or something to that effect, I'm a ways past the page)

When they're just in an officers' lounge and don't actually otherwise interact in the scene

Schabracke

• DJ Wunderschön
  •   
  • NAPC-on - tickets are free, just do it!
  • Badges Community Podcaster Classiest of the classy Item Shop Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
    • Dragons Eat Everything
Currently Readans
« Reply #81 on: 02/ 05/ 2013, 09:04:46 AM »
Could be. I LOVE his books though. So many kick-ass characters and action scenes! Admittedly I don't read them for the prose.

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
Currently Readans
« Reply #82 on: 02/ 05/ 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Could be. I LOVE his books though. So many kick-ass characters and action scenes! Admittedly I don't read them for the prose.

Oh, of course, if I were after the prose I would have put this down a while ago.

Granted, I also think that if the story and characters were copy-pasted outside of the 40K universe I also probably wouldn't read it. 40K lore is so dumb as hell brilliant

Edit: Aaaamd finished First and Only, straight into Ghostmaker

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Currently Readans
« Reply #83 on: 02/ 06/ 2013, 01:25:55 AM »

FalconReaper

•   
  • Zangetsu. He's Kinda OP
  • Badges Inufantry Spotted Memebon Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Currently Readans
« Reply #84 on: 02/ 19/ 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
I recently read Bram Stoker's Dracula as a part of an online class I'm doing. It was certainly an interesting read, but it was due more to me being exposed to so many of the different permutations of Dracula throughout the popular culture that seeing what the original incarnation was like was fascinating to say the least. And as a side note, Van Helsing had a pretty morbid sense of humor

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Classiest of the classy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Currently Readans
« Reply #85 on: 02/ 27/ 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
Finally finished Tokyo Vice. Took me a while to get through the last few chapters, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
Currently Readans
« Reply #86 on: 02/ 27/ 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
Finally finished Tokyo Vice. Took me a while to get through the last few chapters, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I just purchased this off amazon and I'm looking forward to reading it.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Currently Readans
« Reply #87 on: 02/ 27/ 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
About 1/2 through The Blade Itself.

The crotchety old inquisitor is the best character in this book by far.

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Classiest of the classy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Currently Readans
« Reply #88 on: 02/ 27/ 2013, 09:54:44 PM »
I just purchased this off amazon and I'm looking forward to reading it.

You won't regret it. Adelstein is a great writer and it offers an interesting look at organized crime in Japan.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Currently Readans
« Reply #89 on: 03/ 03/ 2013, 07:25:49 PM »
Started reading John Dies At the End. Kept putting off reading it, but now that there's a movie coming out for it, I figure now's the best time.

So this is pretty much the greatest book of all time ever.

Hooligan

• Boobies.
  •   
  • Boobies!!!
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Manly Man Classiest of the classy Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
Currently Readans
« Reply #90 on: 03/ 03/ 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
Started reading John Dies At the End. Kept putting off reading it, but now that there's a movie coming out for it, I figure now's the best time.

So this is pretty much the greatest book of all time ever.
I've been meaning to pick that up but I have 4 other books on my shelf that I haven't even touched. That and I'm lazy.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Currently Readans
« Reply #91 on: 03/ 03/ 2013, 09:16:55 PM »
I've been meaning to pick that up but I have 4 other books on my shelf that I haven't even touched. That and I'm lazy.

XD I'm lazy as fuck with starting books. Especially as of late. But when I start a book, I can't put it down. So much so that I need to pull myself away from it so I can do other things during the day. Like eat. And poop.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Currently Readans
« Reply #92 on: 04/ 11/ 2013, 11:43:42 PM »
Did not know Greg Weisman wrote his first book series.  I will probably check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Rain-Ghosts-Greg-Weisman/dp/1250029791

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
Currently Readans
« Reply #93 on: 06/ 24/ 2013, 09:01:42 PM »
Finished reading the first Haruhi Light novel. I loved it. Really makes me want to re-watch the anime and movie. Might have to look into ordering the next couple of books online.

In the meantime, I've been getting into The Wire so I decided to pick-up David Simon's Homicide: A Year on The Killing Streets. Haven't started it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Currently Readans
« Reply #94 on: 06/ 28/ 2013, 02:28:44 PM »
Finished Tokyo Vice. I don't read true crime novels, so I didn't expect it to get so dark at the end. I did enjoy reading it though. I bet they change the ending for the movie they're making. Sure, the bad guy gets "caught" but a few of his friends and informants are all dead.

Not sure what I'm going to read next.

P3ter

•   
  • PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Rockmelon Game Night
Currently Readans
« Reply #95 on: 07/ 15/ 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
I might be a little late to the party (as always) but i started reading A Clash of Kings last week

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Currently Readans
« Reply #96 on: 07/ 27/ 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
Finished Atlas Shrugged the other day.  it was super long, super preachy, and parts were too drawn out John Galt's damn speech >_>, but it was actually a nice read.  Don't read it if you don't want 1200 pages of libertarian ideals being preached at you.  Fair warning lol.

Now onto re reading The Elegant Universe.  I need some science to cleanse all these politics off me.
(good book on understanding the basics of string theory and whatnot)

Loak

• POMF=3
  •   
  • Loli Apprentice and Kuroneko's Illegitimate Child
  • Badges SCIENCE! Beedog Approved Moonspeaker Cosplayer Manly Man Spotted Memebon Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Bears
Currently Readans
« Reply #97 on: 10/ 02/ 2013, 09:27:41 AM »
Started reading Lolita and WOW I am extremely impressed with how well it is written. I don't think I've ever been so captivated by a book before.

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
Currently Readans
« Reply #98 on: 10/ 02/ 2013, 04:45:29 PM »
Finished Atlas Shrugged the other day.  it was super long, super preachy, and parts were too drawn out John Galt's damn speech >_>, but it was actually a nice read.  Don't read it if you don't want 1200 pages of libertarian ideals being preached at you.  Fair warning lol.

Now onto re reading The Elegant Universe.  I need some science to cleanse all these politics off me.
(good book on understanding the basics of string theory and whatnot)

im impressed that you got through it. the 2 other people i know who tried to read it got pretty turned off by the repellant ideology and decided to stop. despite her being philosophically despicable, ive heard Ayn Rand's actual writing is very very good.

right now im halfway through "All You Need is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaku. my friends have been raving about it so i decided to jump into that after finishing Neuromancer.

electric_goldfish

• Dynamite Woman
  •   
  • Badges tee hee hee gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry Sauninda Classiest of the classy Iron Chef It's a Lady! Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Currently Readans
« Reply #99 on: 10/ 02/ 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
I'm reading The Ramen King and I. I picked it on a whim while skimming around on Paperbackswap.com
It's interesting, but the main character is a douche hat of the highest caliber.

The Ramen King and I is Raskin's memoir about how despair-and a series of bizarre adventures at Japanese restaurants-led him to confront the truth of his romantic past, and how Ando became his unlikely spiritual guide. Through letters ostensibly penned to the culinary sage, Raskin reveals a relationship history plagued by infidelity, jealousy, and betrayal. After devouring Ando's essays (with titles such as "Peace Follows from a Full Stomach" and "Mankind is Noodlekind"), he sets out to meet the food pioneer-and to discover the secret to a committed relationship.