Art resources
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Art resources  (Read 7476 times)

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Art resources
« on: 02/ 14/ 2011, 01:54:15 AM »
Gonna use this thread to bring in research I come across for stuff (pretty much everything I said here, if that's okay.)

And with that, here's a pretty kickass site for tablet tutorials and which ones suit your needs

Love the Wonder Woman tutorial
« Last Edit: 08/ 15/ 2011, 11:40:54 AM by Topher »

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Art resources
« Reply #1 on: 02/ 14/ 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
To help get the train rolling, here's some stuff I use that has been helpful to me over the years.

Kuler
Online color resource by Adobe. You can create and save your own swatches and palettes. Upload a photo and let it make a palette for you based on dominant colors in the pic, or tweak it to use the colors you like best. Or start from scratch and make your own original one using RGB sliders and spectrum pickers. You have to register, but it's free and it lets you save what you make. I use the hell out of this.

Identifont
Type in the name of a font and it searches a database for all the fonts that are similar to it. For all those times when a typeface is almost perfect for what you want, but not quite.

Font Squirrel
Big fat collection of commercial-use free fonts that you can use anywhere without worrying about copyright issues.

SeekLogo
Find big, clean vector or PNG files for just about any logo you can think of.

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Art resources
« Reply #2 on: 08/ 06/ 2011, 06:08:13 PM »
Didn't realize this thread existed.

http://shonenjump.viz.com/content/sj-panel-sdcc-recap

A Former EIC of shonen jump critiques 4 page comics created for a shonen jump/viz comic-con panel.
Interesting enough read.

redlemon

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Art resources
« Reply #3 on: 08/ 18/ 2011, 03:54:34 PM »
http://lovecastle.org/draw/

Good for figure drawing and warming up. You can set what kind of images you want, how long they appear and you can force greyscale.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Art resources
« Reply #4 on: 08/ 19/ 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
Some of you probably already know about this, but in case you don't:

http://pixlr.com/editor/

Pretty much web-based photoshop. There are a lot of online image editors out there, but this is the first one I've found that actually does more than the basic crop and resize song and dance. Really useful if you're stuck at work and need to edit something on a computer with no software on it.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Art resources
« Reply #5 on: 08/ 26/ 2011, 06:23:44 AM »
So, for a while I've been trying to figure out a new way of animating without using Flash. A combination of Photoshop and Adobe Premiere seemed like a good idea for a while. I would do the art in Photoshop, bring the frames into Premiere, then add sound. But I knew I couldn't do everything I wanted with the two programmes. So then I heard about the software Retas Pro HD, which is apparently used by animation studios. It has literally everything I need compiled into one.

Is anyone else familiar with Retas? And do you think it would be a good idea for me to use it? I obviously couldn't get it any time soon, since I'm sure it's expensive as fuck. But I think it's my best bet for where I want my animation to be.

Here's a sparkly promo video with a really annoying guy talking:

RETAS!PRO HD Small | Large

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
Art resources
« Reply #6 on: 08/ 26/ 2011, 06:27:41 AM »
Dunno have you looked into toonboom? there's a free learner edition and the pro package is used for Disney's new 2d movies.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Art resources
« Reply #7 on: 08/ 26/ 2011, 06:43:44 AM »
I've done a little animation with it, but not enough to understand it completely. From what I've seen, though, it seems like if you want to get the full effect of the programme you'll need some other programmes to go with it. Like Photoshop and Flash and such. That's totally fine, but the programmes that come in the Retas pack have more of the stuff I need in them. Or at least it seems like it. I'm really gonna have to check them both out and compare them properly.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Art resources
« Reply #8 on: 08/ 26/ 2011, 01:18:16 PM »
That color-fill they used was seamless. O_o  The paint bucket tool is never that nice to me.  EDIT: Oh wait, vectors.

Also cool that they threw a Cyber Six mention in there out of the blue. 

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Art resources
« Reply #9 on: 08/ 26/ 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
Yeah, vectors is the way to go. At least for line-art. Makes things a lot smoother so you can do flood-fills easy.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Art resources
« Reply #10 on: 08/ 26/ 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
Trying my darndest to find anything on how to paint in hi-res.

Because this is so disheartening when I zoom in to 50-100% print size on something that's 24"x16"

|
|
|
V

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Art resources
« Reply #11 on: 08/ 27/ 2011, 05:54:01 AM »
HAHAH. XD Oh god, been there so hard. I feel for you. Wish I could figure out a way around it also.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Art resources
« Reply #12 on: 09/ 14/ 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Adam Hughes shows how to draw an eyeball!

How to Draw Eyes with Adam Hughes

Eyes and noses are my bane.  Moreso noses, because eyes are at least fun to draw.  Him and Tite Kubo draw nice and varied eyes, and I respect that.

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
Art resources
« Reply #13 on: 09/ 27/ 2011, 05:42:42 PM »
http://www.pelleas.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=238

Fascinating thread about the methods of Japanese animation and how they differ from american feature animation.

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
Art resources
« Reply #14 on: 09/ 28/ 2011, 03:13:34 PM »
http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2008/03/1000_true_fans.php

Another interesting article for artists. The gist of it is if you can get 1000 people to buy your stuff on a regular basis, you can have a very comfortable income.

EDIT: an artist talks about real life application of the theory.

http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2008/04/the_reality_of.php

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Art resources
« Reply #15 on: 10/ 04/ 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
This is good for people like me who have a phobia for creating digital painting and don't really know where to start.  I'm one of those people that, as mentioned in the article, try to paint every strand of hair or notch in the wood when it just leads to insanity and is totally unnecessary.  I also need to start making a brush library and I never do.

http://tutorials.epilogue.net/digital-art/perfect-clouds-in-5-easy-steps

http://tutorials.epilogue.net/digital-art/advanced-digital-painting-techniques

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
Art resources
« Reply #16 on: 10/ 09/ 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

I've been looking at this dudes digital painting 101 and I've actually benifited from them. I think I might buy his premium tut next time I have money.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Art resources
« Reply #17 on: 10/ 09/ 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but it seems like it.

Been having a weird as fuck problem lately. I got Manga Studio EX4 (finally) and it apparently hates my Wacom tablet:

If I draw in the center of the screen, for instance, the pen changes its placement to an area in the upper-left. After looking around I figured out the problem: At some random point in the past I changed my computer's resolution for a second. This automatically changes where the tablet's pen shows up. The placement changed back to normal once I went back to my normal screen resolution, but Manga Studio is still picking up the other size.

Apparently I'm supposed to go in, uninstall the driver, and then reinstall it. So I did that (after trying to find which goddamn device it was, since it's just listed as "USB Human Interface Device" on my computer now, for some fucking reason) and...nothing. It's still fucking up. And I have no idea why. The first time I tried it, it worked for about a second. But then it went wonky again.

I can't have nice things.

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
Art resources
« Reply #18 on: 10/ 10/ 2011, 04:18:29 AM »
Update your drivers bro.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Art resources
« Reply #19 on: 10/ 10/ 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
Update your drivers bro.

I tried, but they're already updated. :|

EDIT: Apparently I have to do a lot more work. Following these steps. I'll see how they work out:

1-
a.) Reset the preference files in the wacom/pen tablet folder.
Go to Start=>Programs=>Wacom/Pen Tablet=>Preference File Utility
Now delete ALL.

b.) Please uninstall all drivers again. Go to Control Panel=>Add or Remove Programs
Now remove the Pen Tablet / Wacom Tablet. After a restart go to the search engine and look for the files
tablet*.*
wacom*.*
pentab*.*
wintab*.*
Pen_Tablet.exe
Pen_Tablet.dll
Pen_TabletUser.exe
PenTablet.cpl
PenTablet.znc
Touch_Tablet.dll
Wintab32.dll
WTouchAPI.dll
WTouchCPL.exe
WTouchService.exe
WTouchUser.exe

and delete them.

As well delete the folders TABLET and WTABLET. Please make sure, that you have hidden files included to the search.

Look in the System32 folder if the wintab*.* is deleted

In Vista64 there is a Wintab*.* in SYSTEM32 and in SYSWOW64.

2-
You can now download the latest driver from:  http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?lang=fr&pid=29&gm=4
Be sure to deactivate your antivirus before installing the tablet driver.

3-
Then go to Windows device manager and disable the ‘Wacom Virtual HID’ device, and restart you computer.
« Last Edit: 10/ 10/ 2011, 09:06:14 PM by Manic Maverick »