Tools of the Trade
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tools of the Trade  (Read 5300 times)

redlemon

•   
  • WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE WOE
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #40 on: 02/ 06/ 2012, 02:02:01 PM »
Speaking of free 3d things you can get free copies of most of autodesks stuff if you have a valid student email. Why didn't I learn of this sooner?

http://students.autodesk.com

JusticeDude

•   
  • j/k, it's always spookytime
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #41 on: 02/ 06/ 2012, 04:14:22 PM »
Keep in mind that it's all a 'student license' and you don't own the rights to anything that you create with those programs unless you shell out thousands of dollars for the professional version.

Or, you could just use blender.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #42 on: 02/ 06/ 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
yup! Most of them are 3 year licenses.  Just sucks that you cant do freelance work with it (saves files with a student version tag that companies don't want, and goes against the ToS for student versions) but oh well.

edit: @Justice's. I'm pretty sure with Autodesk you own the rights to the works you create, but you aren't allowed to sell the works or make any sort of money off them until you pay for it

redlemon

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Secret Santa 2010
    • Sketchbook
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #43 on: 02/ 06/ 2012, 04:37:24 PM »
Really? of well. I realised that you couldn't do professional work on it but I didn't know they flagged files saved with it too. I guess I'll just learn the workflow so I can put it on a CV and do personal stuff in blender.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #44 on: 02/ 06/ 2012, 07:36:43 PM »
Really? of well. I realised that you couldn't do professional work on it but I didn't know they flagged files saved with it too. I guess I'll just learn the workflow so I can put it on a CV and do personal stuff in blender.

Easy way around it export as an OBJ file, open in blender, re-save as another applicable file type, win at life.

JusticeDude

•   
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #45 on: 02/ 06/ 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
After using both I can honestly say that I prefer Blender, though the learning curve is a little higher.  Worth it, though.

redlemon

•   
    • Sketchbook
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #46 on: 02/ 07/ 2012, 06:54:27 AM »
from tumblr

In at least Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign CS5 (maybe other programs/versions too), if you go to Window > Extensions > Kuler, you get a palette with preset color palettes that compliment each other, as well as a tool to help you make new ones. Then you can save it to the Kuler list, or to your Swatches palette.

JusticeDude

•   
Tools of the Trade
« Reply #47 on: 09/ 03/ 2013, 12:16:54 AM »
I normally use Micron pens for inking but being obsessed with line quality and messing around with new media I recently got some proper nib pens to try out.  I haven't used them much but they seem both difficult and full of potential.  Some have a lot of flexibility in terms of line weight, but they're hard to control and orient properly for good ink flow.