TJS Questions
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: TJS Questions  (Read 14784 times)

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
Re: TJS Questions
« Reply #20 on: 04/ 19/ 2010, 04:48:17 AM »
Woooow, that's old.

No, his look was a totally conscious decision, and I made it long before I ever thought about doing animation. The original Beedog was just some doodle I drew like 5 years ago based on that photo of my dog I showed you. I didn't put much thought into it, I just kinda spit it out because I needed an avatar. When I started goofing around on Dtoid the day I made that post you linked, people really liked it so I kept it going around the site and did a big production again the next year. I was still just screwing around at that point and it didn't matter to me that he was kinda shitty-looking. It was just this thing I did every April Fool's day.

People liked it so much the second time that I started thinking I might want to do something more with him in the future. When that thought popped into my head I was like "Well I can't have him looking like that. That looks like ass." So I started playing around with making him more cuddly and I drew this thing. That's the source of the Beedog badge pic on Dtoid. I still wasn't happy with it so I played around with the look a little more, but I still wasn't satisfied. Then Forza 3 came out.

I wanted to make Beedog itasha to put on my cars in the game, so I tried replicating that second design with the livery editor. That thing is mad limiting, so it didn't look much like the drawing, but I liked the different way it WAS coming out, so I kept going in that direction until I had this:

I was so happy with the way he looked in Forza that I redid the same design in Photoshop, and there you have it. Beedog as you know him was designed with Forza 3. That's some funny shit now that I think about it. Those liveries are still available in Forza if you search Beedog on the storefront. They're free if you want to download them.

So yeah. That's how that happened. He looked like that long before I ever even imagined animating him.

GamesAreArt

• nubbin
« Reply #21 on: 04/ 19/ 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
Beedog today looks totally different than his earlier incarnation.
Like here, for instance
Was it a conscious choice to change him into what he is today? Or was this version simply easier to animate?

You know what would be cool, if that was beedogs father.

Edit: Which would make Geraldo Beedog, actually Geraldo Beedog II
« Last Edit: 04/ 19/ 2010, 09:50:34 AM by GamesAreArt »

Manic Maverick

• Fu Boy
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #22 on: 04/ 19/ 2010, 03:07:28 PM »
History!

Holy shit, that's epic. XD I would have never guessed. Now I want to play Forza 3...

GamesAreArt

• nubbin
« Reply #23 on: 04/ 19/ 2010, 07:17:46 PM »

Funny story. After you made these pics, I brought them to school(Yep, I still go there). I was showing them off. I remember showing  it to someone that said something like "Cool car, but the picture on it is stupid". I did not harm him, but I sure wanted to.

TheCleaningGuy

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Easter Egg Finder Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night
    • Siliconera
« Reply #24 on: 04/ 19/ 2010, 08:52:13 PM »
Wow, awesome response. The history of TJS is far greater than I imagined.

Technophile

• He is Tech. Honor him.
  • nubbin
  • I have gnomes, your argument is invalid.
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Rockmelon Game Night
    • Da stuff I do.
« Reply #25 on: 04/ 19/ 2010, 08:52:44 PM »
What or where did "New York Dance" come from?

I feel like it's a reference to something, but for the life of me my internet sleuthing has not produced results.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #26 on: 04/ 20/ 2010, 12:23:52 AM »
What or where did "New York Dance" come from?

I feel like it's a reference to something, but for the life of me my internet sleuthing has not produced results.

It's actually pretty meaningful. If you know where to dig you'll eventually come across the thing it's from, but it won't make any sense in that context. I'd tell you, but spoilarz.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #27 on: 04/ 20/ 2010, 03:24:20 AM »
 How does a talking dog + Psychic  Japanese lady = Kitten hand puppets? You know what, never mind. I don't think the world is ready for that knowledge. I don't care how it happened. I'm just glad that it did.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #28 on: 04/ 20/ 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
How does a talking dog + Psychic  Japanese lady = Kitten hand puppets? You know what, never mind. I don't think the world is ready for that knowledge. I don't care how it happened. I'm just glad that it did.

Actually it's pretty simple. Ms. Beedog is based off a real model who wore a Bee costume, the same model had a picture of her holding the puppets, and thus Ms. Beedog was born.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #29 on: 04/ 20/ 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
It's best not to worry about things like that, you'll confuse yourself. Actually, that's probably the question I get the most. "But how do they... you know, do it?" Hasn't anybody seen Roger Rabbit?

Jesus H Christ

• nubbin
  • Badges Beedog Approved Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #30 on: 04/ 20/ 2010, 01:57:45 PM »
It's best not to worry about things like that, you'll confuse yourself. Actually, that's probably the question I get the most. "But how do they... you know, do it?" Hasn't anybody seen Roger Rabbit?

Just say "Awww niiiite" and then raise your hand for a high-five.

Griffplar

• nubbin
« Reply #31 on: 04/ 20/ 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
I have a question:

Does Mrs Beedog do her own voice or does Topher or someone else? I never hear her well enough to tell...

I feel stupid for asking. :(

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #32 on: 04/ 20/ 2010, 07:33:19 PM »
Mrs. Beedog does all her own voice acting.

Griffplar

• nubbin
« Reply #33 on: 04/ 21/ 2010, 11:23:11 AM »
Mrs. Beedog does all her own voice acting.

That is a good thing then. Thanks! I feel kinda dumb about asking now though. :/

Wintersocks

• Motivational Mountain Mover
  •   
  • Socks 2: Knit Harder
  • Badges Beedog Approved Inufantry SCIENCE! Bears Dancing with Myself Happy Babies! Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #34 on: 04/ 21/ 2010, 01:01:15 PM »
Topher, I think I have an idea of how you can go around doing the whole t-shirt business. Loading ready run does it this way too:

Put up a t-shirt design on the site, and have people pre-order it. If over 300 people pre-order it, put it in production, and if less pre-order it, don't, and give the people who ordered the not-in-production design their money back.

That way you can guarantee that your t-shirt will sell. Profit commences.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
« Reply #35 on: 04/ 21/ 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
 I think 300 is a little ambitious right now seeing as there are 119 members at the moment. And I think that anyone interested enough in buying a shirt would be on here as well. unless you mean just set a minimum number of orders before actually printing.

Griffplar

• nubbin
« Reply #36 on: 04/ 21/ 2010, 05:26:46 PM »
I think 300 is a little ambitious right now seeing as there are 119 members at the moment. And I think that anyone interested enough in buying a shirt would be on here as well. unless you mean just set a minimum number of orders before actually printing.

I'd like to order one, but shipping would be a bitch. I wouldn't want to put that on Topher, nor would I particularly like to pay it myself, sometimes costs more than the item...

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #37 on: 04/ 21/ 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
That's actually a really smart way to do it though, I hadn't thought about that. I might do it that way when the time gets closer, maybe when I have like half the money I need or something. I might be able to sell 50 of them right now but I really doubt I could do 300. Like Halidar said, there are barely a hundred people even registered here yet.

Zeph

• nubbin
  • Brock "Aznable" Samson
  • Badges SCIENCE!
« Reply #38 on: 04/ 21/ 2010, 07:19:10 PM »
Topher,

I was wondering what type of software you typically use for the creation of an episode. Is it one may software package, or is it a collection of software that you have to connect together? I am curious in what types of different software are out there.

Thanks!

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #39 on: 04/ 21/ 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
Topher,

I was wondering what type of software you typically use for the creation of an episode. Is it one may software package, or is it a collection of software that you have to connect together? I am curious in what types of different software are out there.

Thanks!

It's a collection of stuff, really. All the artwork is done with Flash unless something needs to be blurry or transparent. If it does, I draw it in Flash then export it to Photoshop to and make it a png just because it's easier to get the exact look I want with a bitmap and it's not as CPU-intensive when it's in motion. All the voicework, music editing, sound effects and other audio editing are done with Garageband, supported by Audio Hijack Pro and iTunes for stuff that's not my own voice. Then all of the animation is of course done in Flash, and I import all the audio and sync everything up. Then I publish everything in pieces, usually one scene per file, as swf files when it's finished. I play them individually in Flash Player and record the video with a screen capture program called Screenflow, which I then also use to stitch each scene together into one movie and publish as an actual video file.

I have to do it that way because Flash fails miserably at a lot of the stuff it's supposed to be able to do. For instance, when you hear a conversation on the show, it's not a constant stream of audio, it's actually like 30 individual mp3s. Flash sucks at getting the sync right with anything longer than a couple seconds, even when you have the audio layer set to stream rather than event, so I have to break it into pieces to get sounds exactly where I want them.

It's also supposedly able to publish your Flash animations as a .mov file, but don't believe that for a fucking second. Any video you try to export from Flash as a .mov is 110% guaranteed to come out so raped and destroyed it's unwatchable. It's heartbreaking. So I cheat the system and just record the Flash format videos with a capture program so it actually looks about how it's supposed to. The final captured video is never as perfect as the Flash file, but it's close enough. And it's a billion times better than the ruined shit Flash exports.  

tl;dr: A combination of 4 or 5 different programs, but mostly Flash.