Game of Thrones [HBO] ** SHOW SPOILERS (no book spoilers)
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Game of Thrones [HBO] ** SHOW SPOILERS (no book spoilers)  (Read 21008 times)

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
« Reply #120 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
am i the only one that feels Robb Stark deserved it? after all he did go back on his word about marrying one of the Freys.

I think that the situation works better in the book, not really spoilers at this stage, but incase people don't want to read the book version *shrugs*

Robb marries Jeyne Westerling, not a foreigner, who nurses him when he takes an arrow campaigning, she also comforts him when Robb learns of the burning of Winterfell and the rumoured deaths of Bran and Rickon. They sleep together, and on Robb's honour, he marries her the next day.

It is later revealed that Jeyne's Mother was in cahoots with Tywin, attempting to stop her from bearing children with Robb under the guise of fertility potion, but arranging it so that the two should meet.

She remained at riverrun to avoid offending Lord Frey

Tywin when asked about the Westerling's betrayal states "There are other ways of serving" and Jeyne is pardoned by the Iron Throne, heavily implying the arrangement was planned all along...

I feel like the HBO version is a lot clearer and better for TV, but the motivaitons not not as obvious

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #121 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
im not a medieval fantasy man, so i personally dont think he deserved that, i mean, it was pretty horrific. i was kind of robb's side.

I was completely on Robb's side. He didn't deserve a second of that. A million other things could have gone down, but that was the most extreme and most pointless. Old dude's a fucking psychopath.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #122 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
I'm entirely going by the TV series and what we are mostly present on how those times were, the Frey's were promised a king and that promised was unfulfilled.  Still and probably always will be on the Starks side but he was sort of asking for that after his betrayal. 

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #123 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
As Peter said, Robb's "betrayal" was a lot more justified in the book. In any case, FUCK house Frey, and that wasn't the first or last time they do something shitty. Fuck the Freys. All of them.

Keep watching, though.

The North remembers.

AzNheadbanger

•   
  • #1 Dance Central fan
  • Badges tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #124 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
As Peter said, Robb's "betrayal" was a lot more justified in the book. In any case, FUCK house Frey, and that wasn't the first or last time they do something shitty. Fuck the Freys. All of them.
The show wrecked that part of his character that we got to see in the books.

Keep watching, though.

The North remembers.
This mummer's farce will soon be over. Also anyone hungry for some meat pies?

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #125 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
The show wrecked that part of his character that we got to see in the books.

I REALLY need to read the books now, if they could change something important as a character's personality, especially if it's related to the plot.

Yep, this is happening. Very soon. Very, very soon.

AzNheadbanger

•   
  • #1 Dance Central fan
  • Badges tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #126 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 10:24:04 PM »
I REALLY need to read the books now, if they could change something important as a character's personality, especially if it's related to the plot.

You definitely should. There's a bunch of plot related stuff either omitted or altered in the show and characters that either haven't shown up or have been cut.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #127 on: 06/ 06/ 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Also anyone hungry for some meat pies?

Savor every bite! I know I shall.

Do it. You must. There's plenty of time to get through ASOS before season 4 starts, and you'll be ready to see chaos come to life. You may even have enough time between seasons to finish all of them.

They're at your local library. For free. Or PDFs on the internet, I guess. Also free. You should buy them eventually though. Whenever I feel like a good read I always grab one and end up realizing some kind of "oh shit" foreshadowing thing I missed the first couple times.

tl;dr: Your nerd merit badge sash is incomplete without these books.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
« Reply #128 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 12:38:22 AM »
They're at your local library. For free.

*Looks in wallet*

...WELL WHADDAYAKNOW. I have a conveniently located library card. THESE ARE NICE.

They'd better have it in at my library, or at least orderable, or I'm gonna bust various caps.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
« Reply #129 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 08:04:29 AM »

Well that sucks, that statement right there def makes me want to read the books.  Because like I said in my view of the show Robb sorta deserved it (not saying it was right because I feel "Starks #1")

So i guess a stupid question - How hard are the books to read, are they cumbersome and too dense to follow? I feel like I would have to keep a notebook just to keep up with all the shit that goes on. Also should I start from the beginning or just jump into book 3?

AzNheadbanger

•   
  • #1 Dance Central fan
« Reply #130 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 09:06:53 AM »
Well that sucks, that statement right there def makes me want to read the books.  Because like I said in my view of the show Robb sorta deserved it (not saying it was right because I feel "Starks #1")

So i guess a stupid question - How hard are the books to read, are they cumbersome and too dense to follow? I feel like I would have to keep a notebook just to keep up with all the shit that goes on. Also should I start from the beginning or just jump into book 3?
They're not too bad just huge. There's a bunch of characters but I never had an issue keeping up with what was happening. Start with the first book because if you go straight into book 3 you'll be lost since the show has altered quite a few events and left out names of houses that are involved and characters.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #131 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 02:16:23 PM »
^That. They're huge, but you have to not let them overwhelm you. Take your time with them. You might give yourself a minimum quota of like 3 chapters a day. That's easy to swallow, and if you go over because something was interesting, good.

For me, the hardest part of reading the books was the way the chapters were split up. You'd be right in the middle of something awesome happening, then you'd turn the page and it'd be all:

"~ Daenerys ~"

"FUCK."

Then I'd breeze through her shitty chapter to get to an Arya or Davos one, and I'd miss stuff. Made it hard to follow the less interesting arcs which still had important information in them.

But like I said, if you give yourself a little schedule and take small bites, it's fine. Trust me, there's shitloads of time between seasons, and waaaaay plenty of time before the next book comes out. You can do eet.

And yes, start with the first book. Everything in the show will make way more sense if you've read the books that came before it. For instance, Mance Rayder was talked about in the first chapter of the first book. Having that book reader background will give the entire experience more depth and make the show much richer and more satisfying for you.

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Classiest of the classy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #132 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
I got about 200 pages into the first book before I put it on-hold. May have to pick that back up sometime soon.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
« Reply #133 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 04:10:07 PM »
They're not too bad just huge.
^That. They're huge

These are my kinds of books.

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
« Reply #134 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 05:43:09 PM »
I'm re-reading them because I read them much too fast the first time, and even some of the more interesting stuff I can't remember properly/at all.

I got through Dance with Dragons in 3 days (I just got my kindle so maybe that was something to do with it) and I couldn't tell you what happens in that book really.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #135 on: 06/ 07/ 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
We could even read/re-read them together and have...

Dun dun dunn

A book club thread.

Where we can explain stuff that wasn't clear to you, and give hugs when everyone dies.

AzNheadbanger

•   
  • #1 Dance Central fan
« Reply #136 on: 06/ 08/ 2013, 03:24:43 AM »
We could even read/re-read them together and have...

Dun dun dunn

A book club thread.

Where we can explain stuff that wasn't clear to you, and give hugs when everyone dies.
I second this. Also the audiobooks are great if you guys are into those.

Edit: If you want to go the audiobook route you can get a free 30 day trial for Audible and use that credit for A Game of Thrones. If you don't wanna subscribe you can cancel before the trial ends and keep the audiobook since its tied to an Amazon account.

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
« Reply #137 on: 06/ 08/ 2013, 07:44:42 AM »
A book club thread.

I'd love this, would mean I keep a reasonable pace even after my exams are finished

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #138 on: 06/ 08/ 2013, 08:38:21 AM »
I would also very much enjoy it, as it would give me more people to discuss this wonderful story with.

If Mav and Shibalba are down, I say we go for it.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
« Reply #139 on: 06/ 08/ 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
Hmmmm, I'm not sure. I like reading stuff at my own pace. The feeling of being rushed to read certain chapters by a certain time, or the feeling of not being able to read a bunch of chapters when I feel like it, is a pretty big turn off. I like having a choice of what, when, and how to read, basically. :C