Game of Thrones [HBO] ** SHOW SPOILERS (no book spoilers)
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Game of Thrones [HBO] ** SHOW SPOILERS (no book spoilers)  (Read 21256 times)

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #200 on: 04/ 21/ 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
Dooo iiiitt

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #201 on: 04/ 21/ 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
I read it and I am happy.

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
« Reply #202 on: 04/ 21/ 2014, 05:05:04 PM »
God damn Tywin is superb, charles dance delivers that character like a gentleman.

Davos continues to be awesome, as does the hound.

unfortunately my brother (who's read the books) accidentally slipped and told me things, and now I'm just anticipating some weird shit to happen.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
« Reply #203 on: 04/ 22/ 2014, 02:30:34 AM »
I love this song so fucking much:

Ramin Djawadi - Dracarys

Why aren't there musicians that just make this kind of music like always.

AzNheadbanger

•   
  • #1 Dance Central fan
  • Badges tee hee hee Beedog Approved Inufantry Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Community Podcaster Rockmelon Game Night
« Reply #204 on: 04/ 24/ 2014, 07:10:35 PM »
In the books that scene wasn't rapey. She pushed him away the first few times he tried to kiss her, but then she was the one commanding him to stick it in. In the sept. Next to their son's dead body. While she was on her period. It was grosser and more awkward in the book, but at least it wasn't Jamie raping her.

As for Stannis, they've changed him quite a lot. In the books he didn't believe in any gods, he just kept Melisandre around because she got results. He was more of a cold, neutral force for blind justice. Law was law. He listened to the advice Davos gave him and didn't treat him so shitty. Show Stannis is all lord of light n fuck you Davos n whatnot.

So if you hear book readers talking about how much they love "Stannis the mannis", don't look at them funny. He was way cooler in the books.
This is why I hated Jaime coming back to Kings Landing before the wedding in the show. IMO the scene in the book was even more messed up since he had just arrived after months of being on the road and a prisoner, finds out his son was poisoned, his brother in jail, and his sister wants to bang right next to their son's corpse.

The show also ruined a particular scene with Jaime that took place after the trial.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #205 on: 04/ 26/ 2014, 09:30:12 AM »
The thing that bothers me most about it is that it ruins Jamie's sort of redemption arc. He was really getting to become the Jamie that book readers know and love, and then boom, now he's a shithead again. People who only watch the show aren't gonna know what to make of that.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #206 on: 04/ 27/ 2014, 09:09:31 PM »
Aaaand we've finally reached the first point at which the show has spoiled something for book readers.

Melanon

•   
  • hey there
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Classiest of the classy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop Beedog Approved Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
« Reply #207 on: 04/ 27/ 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
Holy tits my body is so ready for the excellent adventures of Brienne and Podrick. Literally nothing else that happens from this point on matters.

Also wtf I didn't realize Karl was the scientist guy from Pacific Rim.

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
« Reply #208 on: 04/ 28/ 2014, 08:38:03 AM »
Aaaand we've finally reached the first point at which the show has spoiled something for book readers.

I was so excited for cold hands at the start of that bit, sigh
At least he gets to chill (heh) with Strong Belwas, Edric Storm (and Moonboy for all I know) off in another dimension

Interestingly, the HBO episode guide edited some time after releasing it from "Night's King" to just "Walker"
A lot tin hat theorists are very happy with themselves right now

On another note this shot hurt my eyes so fucking badly, I had to look away
Hey look there's thirteen

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #209 on: 04/ 28/ 2014, 10:42:41 AM »
I was so excited for cold hands at the start of that bit, sigh
At least he gets to chill (heh) with Strong Belwas, Edric Storm (and Moonboy for all I know) off in another dimension

Interestingly, the HBO episode guide edited some time after releasing it from "Night's King" to just "Walker"
A lot tin hat theorists are very happy with themselves right now

On another note this shot hurt my eyes so fucking badly, I had to look away
Hey look there's thirteen

Thirteen as in thirteenth lord commander, mayhaaaaaaps. Yeah, that set off such a bomb among readers. I can't believe they just threw it out there in plain print like that.

Between that, Jamie's convo with Tyrion, and the shit going down at Craster's, it's easier to pick out scenes that WERE in the books from this episode.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
« Reply #210 on: 04/ 29/ 2014, 11:05:09 PM »
How far along is the show compared to the books? Really need to get back to reading them, cause hearing the entire internet go  "But they didn't do this or this and instead this and now this and also book readers this and this that" is making my head hurt.

Also, I don't trust that new Crow. Not one bit. And he's probably not from where he says he is. Wildling, mayhaps? He's got that look about him.

Anyway. Cold baby is cold. Put on some booties, silly. I had a feeling this was what they did with the babies. They seemed too calculated and intelligent to merely kill them or eat them or whatever. Otherwise they'd just raid towns and take them by force. Though, another theory I had was that they were sacrificing them to some sort of ancient deity. But my mind always goes that route no matter what, so meh.

I was hoping not to see anything like that from the White Walkers/Others, though. It was nice keeping them at a distance. Fear of the unknown type of thing. Blurry and in the distance, dark and generally featureless, and then now and then for only a few seconds show them full on for a "HOLY FUCK WHAT THE FUCK" effect. But leave it at that. Would have been better, in this scene, to have kept the camera on the baby while everything transpired. And maybe showed the part where they were blurry in the distance.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
« Reply #211 on: 04/ 29/ 2014, 11:38:15 PM »

I had to.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #212 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 12:23:47 AM »
How far along is the show compared to the books?

Different arcs are in different spots. Dany, Tyrion, Sansa and Jamie are sort of right on schedule. Arya's a bit behind. The wall is WAY behind. Stannis is kinda behind. Bran and Theon are way the fuck ahead into ADWD, but that'll change for Bran with this whole "party at Craster's" deviation. A lot of this episode never happened in the books.

Really need to get back to reading them

You should. Everyone who's a fan of the show should read them, lest the interbutts spoil everything for you. You'll also know what's going on.

Also, I don't trust that new Crow. Not one bit. And he's probably not from where he says he is. Wildling, mayhaps? He's got that look about him.

Not sure if serious... That's Locke. Bolton's toady. Guy who cut off Jaime's hand. Remember an episode or two ago, Bolton sent him to the wall to find Jon and hunt down Bran and Rickon? He's the show's version of a character called Vargo Hoat in the books. Definitely not a nice guy.

I had a feeling this was what they did with the babies.

Most of us did, but we had zero confirmation until that shit happened on the show. Many of us also suspected a lot of stuff about the Night's King and White Walker society and the Land of Always Winter, which they just nonchalantly hit us in the face with in the last 5 minutes of that episode. This sums up my feelings pretty well.

That sequence confirms/kills so many theories and opens up so much discussion it's fucking silly. Stuff people have been speculating on for YEARS. Suddenly just... right there with its tits out. It's like watching the first star wars movie and seeing a photo of darth vader in a maternity ward with a "it's twins!" balloon.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
« Reply #213 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 01:05:18 AM »
Not sure if serious... That's Locke. Bolton's toady. Guy who cut off Jaime's hand. Remember an episode or two ago, Bolton sent him to the wall to find Jon and hunt down Bran and Rickon? He's the show's version of a character called Vargo Hoat in the books. Definitely not a nice guy.

Fuck, I completely forgot! There's so much shit going on, my brain passes over stuff. XD

That sequence confirms/kills so many theories and opens up so much discussion it's fucking silly. Stuff people have been speculating on for YEARS. Suddenly just... right there with its tits out. It's like watching the first star wars movie and seeing a photo of darth vader in a maternity ward with a "it's twins!" balloon.

Well now I'm fucking pissed. Both at the show writers for pulling it like assholes and myself for not getting far enough, or anywhere really, in the books to have the proper reaction. Now I feel like I'm not gonna get quite as much out of the books, since The Others are among my favourite things. People. People things. Thing peoples.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #214 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 02:05:19 AM »
Some readers are pissed off, but for the most part everyone's pretty excited, myself included. They haven't spoiled anything too huge. Just confirmed some stuff we suspected all along but weren't sure of.

The thing about having read and re-read all the books is that it makes the show a little less thrilling. It also doesn't leave us with anything very fresh to talk about story-wise until the next book is released. Them showing that scene breathed new life into the fan community, and now we get to go back and sift through everything and follow the many little trails that led up to it. So I think it's a good thing.

In the episode, the last thing you saw before the white walker was  when Karl(?) dickhead realized who Bran was, he was all "And I thought it was gonna be another boring day." I think that was a little nod to book readers, because we expected it to be another episode with nothing new to think about. I'm glad it wasn't, personally.

PeterSimp

•   
  • The mildest of manner
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Bears tee hee hee Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Inufantry
« Reply #215 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 06:22:11 AM »
The thing about having read and re-read all the books is that it makes the show a little less thrilling.

I've found having forgotten a whole lot has made the show that much better for me, I only really remember the biggest plot points, I'd completely forgotten about the shit that's currently going down at Craster's for example

DougCL

• Warden of the North
  •   
  • East Coast Elite
  • Badges Jill Sandwich I'M IT! Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Beedog Approved Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Inufantry Teach the children. Bears
« Reply #216 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 07:27:03 AM »
a friend of mine keeps hounding me to read the books, but i think im too deep in the TV series to do that. like for the first 2 and a half books or whatever it is id be reading things i already knew, and then after that i would just be taking away from my enjoyment of the show.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #217 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 07:44:09 AM »
I'd completely forgotten about the shit that's currently going down at Craster's for example

That's because none of it was in the book. This whole thing with Jon going to Craster's and Bran being there is only in the show and I have no idea what they're doing with that. Filling time, I guess. Otherwise we'd just be watching Bran and company trudging through the snow for the rest of the season.

In the books, Bran went through the gate at the nightfort with Sam/Gilly and continued north while Sam headed back to Castle Black. Jon was back at Castle Black after being shot by Ygritte and was busy dealing with Mormont's betrayal and all that night's watch business. Nobody ever went back to Craster's.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #218 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 07:54:14 AM »
a friend of mine keeps hounding me to read the books, but i think im too deep in the TV series to do that. like for the first 2 and a half books or whatever it is id be reading things i already knew, and then after that i would just be taking away from my enjoyment of the show.

You could always finish watching this season and then read them between seasons. Lord knows you'll have time. You'll know what's going to happen, but there's sooo much more information and background in the books. This week, for example.

Even if you'd only read the first 3 books, you'd be flipping out over the reveal of the night's king right now. You'd know why ser Barristan said that stuff to Dany, why Oberyn is important, what Bran's visions mean, what Cersei's thinking, Davos, and a lot of stuff the show isn't necessarily going to explain. Everything will make a lot more sense.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
« Reply #219 on: 04/ 30/ 2014, 01:43:45 PM »
Will we know how to properly give Dany the sex? That is something important that I need to know and the show isn't telling me.