Game of Thrones [HBO] ** SHOW SPOILERS (no book spoilers)
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Game of Thrones [HBO] ** SHOW SPOILERS (no book spoilers)  (Read 17829 times)

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #300 on: 04/ 12/ 2015, 11:51:21 PM »
Oh, awesome then. Or not awesome, rather. But still aweome. In a rather non-awesome way. Rather, it's awesome for certain people but not awesome at all for certain other people. Rather.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
« Reply #301 on: 04/ 15/ 2015, 10:31:44 PM »
Not much happened this ep, it seems. But it's great to be back.

I initially thought Grey Worm was the one who got his throat slit, since the Unsullied look so similar. Was almost disappointed, in a weird masochistic way.

On the other hand...Goddammit. Was not expecting Mance to die. Thought we'd see more of him. But I guess that was his fate, considering the circumstances. Sad to see him go. :I

But yeah. Can't wait to see more of Arya's adventures. I really want her to find what's-his-face-and-the-other-people and learn all the magics.

Also Dany boobies yes thank you.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #302 on: 04/ 23/ 2015, 01:20:32 AM »

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #303 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 11:56:28 AM »
So, I guess I'm the only one here watching this season? XD

Or, wait...If no one is watching...That means No One is watching. You've already earned your place amongst the Faceless Men. I revere thee.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #304 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
I'm watching. I happened upon some leaked episodes so now I've got another week or two before I see anything new to talk about.

I will say they're deviated wildly from the books this season. I dunno what's going on in a few places.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #305 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 01:10:29 PM »
I had the chance to see the leaked eps, but I want to have something to see each week so I decided against watching them.

And I felt like certain things seemed a bit wonky this season, like they weren't flowing properly. So, hearing things have deviated heavily makes me wonder if that's the stuff that feels off, like it doesn't fit with the rest of the show or something. Or it could just be the way they're choosing to patch things together, I dunno.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
  • Badges The Jewel of the Nile Jill Sandwich gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Moonspeaker Rockmelon Game Night Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #306 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 02:15:36 PM »
Nah, you can tell. Scenes that weren't in the book feel really weird. Like characters behave in ways they wouldn't normally, and the dialogue gets stupid. It's like seeing a nice car with bondo spots on it.

Also, they've been leaving out bits of dialogue... like really iconic, classic lines from the books... massively favorite lines, which they have no fucking reason to leave out. It's like a "fuck you" to people who loved the books.

This past episode where Jon cuts off Janos Slynt's head: in the books, when he decides to do this, he says to Dolorous Edd, "Edd, fetch me a block". Like, the way it happened made that one of the most beloved lines from that book, and when it came time for it in the show, I was like "say it, SAY IT" and... nothing. It's not like it was some dragon scene they'd have to blow money on CGI for, it was words. Just fucking say it. But no. They left it out. For no good reason.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #307 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
Wow, that's fucking idiotic. I mean, I get that TV shows only get to have a specific number of lines per episode, but they could have still cut back on unnecessary lines in order to deliver the heavy-hitting lines. Especialy ones that short. This reminds me why many TV writers piss me off.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #308 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
There's been a lot of that, especially at the wall. In the book when they were choosing the next lord commander, there was a bit where Janos Slynt said to Stannis something like,

"Who better to lead the black cloaks than a man who once led the gold cloaks?"

And Stannis goes,

"Any of you, I should think. Even the cook."

Some of the best lines in the whole series were from that part of the story, and none of it made it into the show. No reason. Not to mention that this is the part of the books where you really start to love Stannis, and in the show he's still kind of a dick. Mostly because they're leaving out all the awesome stuff he said/did.

Ask any fan of the books what some of their favorite lines were, and they'd mention several things that should have been in the past 2 episodes and weren't. Such a loss.

Also, there is a pretty fucking awesome thing Arya should be doing by now and has not done yet, and I'm wondering if that's getting cut, too. They've fucked with that part a lot as well.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #309 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
Fffuuuck. I feel so damn gypped.

Is the arc with Tyrion and Varys going properly? Cause something feels off about that too.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #310 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 06:50:11 PM »
Not really, they've sped that up tremendously. Varys didn't go with Tyrion in the book, he just sent him off and disappeared until later.

In the book, Tyrion stayed in Pentos for a while and traveled along this crazy long ass silk road with Illyrio (who you may not even remember, where the fuck has he been... the dude whose palace they arrived at). Anyway, he meets up with a group of people who also are not in the fucking show for some reason, and they travel by boat forever on this river. Which was badass, and has been cut.

-The characters he was with were really fucking interesting and cool

-At one point the river repeats all lost woods-style, where they keep drifting down the same stretch of water all supernatural timewarpy.

-Later, the boat goes through this town (mentioned in the show by stannis to his daughter, but not shown) where everyone has greyscale. It really explains a lot about the disease, and there are all these dudes who are in the really late stages of it, where they're basically turned to stone. Really interesting shit happens to Tyrion.

-He's kidnapped by Jorah way the fuck later. Tons and tons of shit happens before they ever get to Volantis. And if you look at any of the maps, Volantis is so fucking far from Pentos it's silly that they've already been there in the show. The trip takes a couple months or something in the book.

They may still have all that shit happen, but with Jorah, so I won't spoil it. They'd better at least do some of it, or you're missing a huge chunk of wtf is going on in the world and nothing is going to make sense. Unless they just cut the shit out of all that too, which they probably will.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #311 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 07:08:14 PM »
Goddammit. If they're not complete idiots, they'll have all of it happen with Jorah. And then maybe Varys follows them? But that would kind of go against his character I feel. His initially going with Tyrion goes against his character, I'd even say. Like, his place is King's Landing. Why the hell would he leave his perch. Something just feels so forced about the whole thing, and now I know why. Uuugh.

I need to just get on with reading the books already. I have four of them just sitting here untouched while I read a completely different book. XD

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #312 on: 04/ 29/ 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
I dunno what they're gonna have show Varys do, but don't worry about Varys. He will do very important and interesting shit.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #313 on: 05/ 05/ 2015, 01:59:36 PM »
This is what I'm talking about.

Barristan Selmy, greatest living badass, the bruce lee of westeros, legend among legends, goes out like a tired old bitch in a dust-up with some masked icepick-wielding hoodlums.

Unsullied, bred and trained their whole lives to feel no pain, fear nothing and never break formation, promptly break formation and cry/wince/scream when poked with pointy things, before dying as well.

Sand snakes, fearsome daughters of Oberyn Martell whose mention strikes terror into the hearts of men, suddenly assemble mid-story under a tent like a pack of ragtag shonen manga characters, to tell a hammy cornball out-of-context version of a story that merited a fist-pump in the book, and now merits several consecutive fist pumps in a jerky-offy-look-at-this-horseshit gesture because how goddamn stupid did that sound in that situation...

You can tell what was not in the book because it will be the part that makes no fucking sense and goes against everything the previous 4 seasons have set up.

What the fuck they think they're doing, I cannot begin to speculate upon.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #314 on: 05/ 05/ 2015, 02:01:48 PM »
Although the episode 5 trailer seems to imply that Tyrion will indeed be taking that boat trip through the city of stone men, so that maybe is something. For them to fuck up. We'll see.

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
« Reply #315 on: 05/ 05/ 2015, 07:15:44 PM »
I think this is gonna be where the huge divide is, between the people who exclusively watch the show and the people who read the books, I've just started a feast of crows and I can already see major differences, I guess this was coming, because the demand for the show is somehow more demanding than the books, for shame.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #316 on: 05/ 05/ 2015, 07:29:55 PM »
My issue is not that they changed something, it's that the things they change them to are completely and thoughtlessly inconsistent with the story. It feels like the people writing recent episodes not only haven't read the books, but also haven't watched the first 4 seasons of the show. It's like watching a movie where spider-man dies because he fell off a building.

Topher

• Rockmelon Final Boss
  • Administrator
  •   
  • Sauninda
    • You're lookin' at it
« Reply #317 on: 05/ 10/ 2015, 11:00:20 PM »
Not sure how to feel this week. There is a metric ton of shit getting chopped up and juiced/condensed into Jorah and Tyrion's little boat trip. Jorah's replacing/filling the role of several different characters at this point and huge chunks of story are getting thrown away. I'm okay with that for the most part, but I don't care for how they rushed it. That shit with the stone men and that whole part of the trip was SO much creepier and better in the book.

Not to mention they're in an entirely different part of the world right now, and Valyria on the show looks like a flower garden in disneyland compared to Valyria in the books.

The rest of the episode, eh. That'll do. They did squeeze in some of Roose's good dialogue from the books, that was nice.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #318 on: 05/ 12/ 2015, 08:47:52 PM »
Okay, so I--

[This post cannot be completed because Mav still needs to catch up. He is currently punching his internet connection in the face for making him lag behind]

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
« Reply #319 on: 05/ 13/ 2015, 03:12:12 PM »
Alright, finally caught up.

You can tell what was not in the book because it will be the part that makes no fucking sense and goes against everything the previous 4 seasons have set up.

This fucking shit. If I know how fucking ridiculous it is and I haven't even read the books (Despite saying I would five million times), you know there's something wrong.

That whole Sand Snake scene felt super wonky, and I immediately knew it wasn't supposed to be there. The speech didn't feel awesome at all and felt more awkward and forced than anything. Those Sand Snakes, though. ToT <3 <3 <3 <3

And the alley fight was absolutely silly and made me want to punch  turkey. Part of me was saying "Maybe they're all getting soft after being freed and kind of settling" but no one can get that damn soft, especially after being born and bred to be unstoppable killing machines. Not even gonna start with Barristen, whom I'd assumed would die fighting fifty White Walkers. While riding a dragon. Three dragons.

Something else that was grinding my gears was that the boat trip was like 5 seconds and had absolutely nothing interesting happen aside from some guys covered in grey face paint hopped on their boat and tried to play paddy-cake. But I mainly had a problem with it cause I knew from this thread that there was supposed to be more to it. Big let down.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm still enjoying the show, least the parts of the show that make sense. Though, I'd probably be really annoyed with the whole series if I hadn't known they'd completely changed stuff from the books. So yeah, cracking open those books asap. Er...Soon as I finish this one other thing...