Untitled Horror Game
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Untitled Horror Game  (Read 12800 times)

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 12:09:29 AM »
(I wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it in the art board since it deals with us creating content.  Mods, move it wherever if you feel its in the wrong place <3 )

A couple weeks back I brought up making a horror game, got a few interested responses about it, then fell quiet   about the whole thing for a little bit.  I had some interest from a few of you about doing writing and such for the game, and that's why I'm making this thread; to start bouncing ideas around and laying groundwork for everything.

I was chatting with my brother the other night and stumbled across the idea of an Old West era horror.  It would let us play with not only the fear of closed spaces and corridors and such, but also let us play the idea of the fear of huge, open spaces (something which I would love to explore more)  I kind of have a small mining town on the edge of a mountain range in mind  right now, but I'm of course completely open for any suggestions on the matter and want to hear what everyone thinks!  I'd like to encourage even people that can't / don't want to fully commit to working on the project to chime in! 

update 10-7-2011

here's the core list of people on the project so far.  Let me know if you want to join:

myself-modeling, animation, textures, general production stuff
shibalba- sound, music?
halidar- writing, voice
mav-concept art, textures
friend a- level design
friend b-programing/scripting
fry- cheerleader
« Last Edit: 10/ 07/ 2011, 05:00:11 PM by pankin »

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #1 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 12:25:05 AM »
I agree with western horror and huge open expanses, because it's always in the back of your mind that there is nothing to climb up on to escape; it's only endurance that determines survival.

As for what board I think it belongs: if it's only going to be text-based, I would say the Readans board, but it would be cool if we could toss in visual art stuff at certain points, because I am dying to throw some quick western photoshop landscapes in here now.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #2 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 12:48:15 AM »
mAKING A GAME, IT SEEMS LOGICAL TO PUT IT IN THE GAMES SECTION.... I hate caps lock.

A western horror with corridors and open spaces sounds awesome. I've never really thought of a horror game set in that period before, but it does stir up ideas. The wide open country side does present a different kind of fear when you feel like you're being followed or chased. You have no where to run or hide, you have to just move as fast as you can.

I do have a suggestion for the sake of organization and productivity though: Don't have everything come through the thread. You need some google doc/emailer/thingyjigger for things to go in that everyone involved can access. The thread is cool to have ideas thrown around and discussed, especially for people who aren't able to commit anything specific, but there needs to be something else where everything is compiled. I don't know about you, but if I'm not really well organized I find it nearly impossible to get things done.

edit: Totally getting ahead of myself. Just roll up a newspaper and smack me with it every now and again.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #3 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 12:53:53 AM »
Oh, it's an actual video game you guys are working on?  I wasn't sure and was thinking of it as one of those RPG story threads.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #4 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 12:58:06 AM »
I would also like to put any and all of the concept art and stuff up in this thread too, I'd love to see what everyone comes up with! :D

Also, Don't worry, I'm in the process of setting up a server and such to hold and organize assets and documents involved with the game some version control stuff , as well as finding the best way to email / message around with the group of core devs.  I'm thinking this thread will end up being a good starting ground to help incubate ideas and stuff, but don't see using it for the main development stuff

Edit:In the game, none of the sentences are ever
« Last Edit: 10/ 05/ 2011, 01:24:23 AM by pankin »

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #5 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
I would also like to put any and all of the concept art and stuff up in this thread too, I'd love to see what everyone comes up with! :D

Also, Don't worry, I'm in the process of setting up a server and such to hold and organize assets and documents involved with the game some version control stuff , as well as finding the best way to email / message around with the group of core devs.  I'm thinking this thread will

.  .  .

Unfinished sentence. I think I've found something that drives me crazy besides the feeling of fibreglass on my finger nails.

Why does it bug me so much? I shouldn't be this bothered.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #6 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 01:09:31 AM »
Fatty post warning.

When you mentioned a small mining town on the edge of a mountain range, you totally brought to mind an idea I've been working on (on and off) for several years. Not sure if it could be used or not...especially cause it's part of a whole mythos thing and I would be sad to see it changed. XD But who knows...

It's horror/mystery. Not set in the old west, though. But maybe it could be adapted. Basically involves a writer escaping his bad life in the city and buying a house in a small town. Half of the townsfolk are decent people, while the other half (who are related to one another in some fashion) are wary of outsiders. There's this huge mountain that people rarely go into, said to hold a church at the very top. It's whispered that miners found something deep within the mountain a long time ago, which brought about some catastrophe. After the catastrophe, no one neared the church or the mountain again and the town became a dark shell of its former self. The priest at the church lost his mind and now roams about town, completely out of it. After the main character arrives in the town, he notices that people just up and disappear randomly. And everyone in the town completely forgets that they had existed, save for a few of them. There's more to the story, like the mysteries behind it all. I can't figure out what the gameplay would be though, until maybe 75% in (when shit hits the fan). XD

Yes, this sounds similar to a few other stories (Higurashi, Shadow Over Innsmouth, Population 436, Twin Peaks, Wicker Man, Deadly Premonition, Alan Wake). But when I had the idea, I hadn't heard of a single one of them save for Wicker Man, I think. Sounds most like Alan Wake and Shadow Over Innsmouth, actually. But I refuse to give it up just cause of its similarities. NOT HAPPENING NO WAIS.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #7 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 01:22:55 AM »
I just wanna say ZOMBIE MINESHAFT.

All those hands popping out of a vertical chasm.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #8 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 01:28:38 AM »
.  .  .

Unfinished sentence. I think I've found something that drives me crazy besides the feeling of fibreglass on my finger nails.

Why does it bug me so much? I shouldn't be this bothered.

Sorry, went back to fix something earlier in the post and forgot to go back and finish that thought

Munchems

•   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Sauninda Classiest of the classy Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #9 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
Yes, this sounds similar to a few other stories (Higurashi, Shadow Over Innsmouth, Population 436, Twin Peaks, Wicker Man, Deadly Premonition, Alan Wake). But when I had the idea, I hadn't heard of a single one of them save for Wicker Man, I think. Sounds most like Alan Wake and Shadow Over Innsmouth, actually. But I refuse to give it up just cause of its similarities. NOT HAPPENING NO WAIS.
At first I thought you were describing Stephen King's: Misery.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #10 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 11:10:37 AM »
that is a pretty good untapped setting (aside from Undead Nightmare) im having a hard time thinking of other horror western games.  I hate Westerns but the idea of a Horror Western Game Thingy has got me excited. Be glad to help out in any way i can.

mcnyers

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #11 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
The combination of the western and survival horror genres interests me. One thing it makes me wonder about however is how the action in the game will be. When I think of westerns, I think of power. Big guns, dynamite, tying stuff up, shootouts. But when I think of survival horror, I think of being underpowed. In survival horror games, you are just trying to survive, and sometimes that means having to run or hide.

This brings me to my point. How much power should the player have? Should you be able to take down an enemy with ease? The traditional survival horror approach may conflict with the wide open spaces because you can't really hide from enemies. I think it would be cool to look into the traditional survival horror mechanics because that would really differentiate the game from Undead Nightmare, which really isn't a survival horror game at all. It's just an open world game that they added some easy to kill zombies into.

I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #12 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 01:16:38 PM »
 I think the main decision to be made in a western horror game is the role of the player. Are you a hardcore grizzled cowboy? Are you a simple store clerk? Maybe a prospector or traveller in the wrong place at the wrong time? The role of the player will set the mood for the whole game.

If you are a gun wielding tough guy, maybe the scares come from your inability to kill the enemy (if there is a visible enemy). Guns are perhaps, ineffective leading to a puzzle element to take down an enemy. Or they could have power in numbers, making a stand suicidal. If you are a plain citizen, the scare could come from a more conventional means ie: powerless feelings, constant panic. Personally, I feel like giving the player a false sense of power is more exciting. Give him a gun, let him think he can stand up to whatever he wants, then make him understand that he really cant.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #13 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
I think keeping the amount of powers player has very low, having the player play as a miner or something similar.  I think a character who has some access to some powerful items,like dynamite could be cool to use as puzzle elements, but at the same time I like the idea of staying away from using guns, for most of the game at least.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #14 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
Miner gets trapped underground in a smallish cave in - breaks free several days later and discovers his town is covered in pure blackness, horror antics ensue.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #15 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
At first I thought you were describing Stephen King's: Misery.

Well, that's more about a crazy lady than a crazy town. But in any case...(ﺱTдT)ﺱ I just can't win. I get so many ideas, and years later I hear about another idea that's basically the same thing. Then people look at my idea and call it unoriginal. :|

Anyway, have you guys seen Dead Birds? It's a horror movie set in the old west. I'd definitely suggest seeing it, since I'm sure it would be great inspiration.

There are locations in it that would work well for a survival-horror game. Like a huge corn-field and an old cellar.

Also, I think it would be good to see what everyone here is afraid of. If we can pinpoint a fear that connects our fears together, I think we can get the horror experience just right.

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #16 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
dear god that face scared me.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #17 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 10:25:49 PM »
Also, I think it would be good to see what everyone here is afraid of. If we can pinpoint a fear that connects our fears together, I think we can get the horror experience just right.
dear god that face scared me.

*Takes notes*

...Random faces appearing out of nowhere, check. Note: Make sure to include in movie poster form, or it won't work.

*Scribble scribble*

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #18 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 10:57:32 PM »
usually just the cover of a movie doesn't creep me out...but that one...ugh...>_>

Miner gets trapped underground in a smallish cave in - breaks free several days later and discovers his town is covered in pure blackness, horror antics ensue.

I like this, thinking maybe the main character and a few other guys are walking down s section of the mine where someone has found something weird (artifact, new type of rock, another system of tunnels, etc) and on the way down the mine starts rumbling and you start hearing weird voices.  At one point as you get close to where you're heading, one of the men following you screams, and before you can turn around, he disappears.  you continue onto the room and that's when there's a cave-in that leaves you alone in the caves.

Munchems

•   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Sauninda Classiest of the classy Item Shop Rockmelon Game Night Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #19 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 11:01:04 PM »
Who is doing the programming and technical stuff on this? Or is it just ideas being tossed around?