Untitled Horror Game
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Untitled Horror Game  (Read 13065 times)

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #20 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
I like this, thinking maybe the main character and a few other guys are walking down s section of the mine where someone has found something weird (artifact, new type of rock, another system of tunnels, etc) and on the way down the mine starts rumbling and you start hearing weird voices.  At one point as you get close to where you're heading, one of the men following you screams, and before you can turn around, he disappears.  you continue onto the room and that's when there's a cave-in that leaves you alone in the caves.

I like Shibalba's idea about leaving the cave and finding everything completely fucked, though. First it would be "Oh fuck, enclosed spaces!" Then it would be "Oh fuck, open spaces!" Makes gameplay vary, and the player won't get bored of staring at rocks all day.

Also, I am a big fan of ancient rituals and cults. I'd love to see those somewhere, personally.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #21 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 11:28:15 PM »
Who is doing the programming and technical stuff on this? Or is it just ideas being tossed around?
I'm pretty sure we'll using the Unreal engine for the game since I've worked with it pretty extensively before.  As far as programmers go, I have a couple friends from school and outside the forums I've talked to about programming and scripting. Ill be dealing with a lot of the technical art side of things, as well as modeling.  My older brother is also learning Cascade (particle systems in unreal) to help us out a bit. I also have a friend who may be helping with level design and general world building stuff too. 

that all being said, if anyone has any interest learning any part of the development pipeline, let me know and I'll find as many resources for you to do so.

Also, I definitely agree Mav, just building on what may happen while you are in the caves

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #22 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
What if during the day everything is fine, but at night everything goes to shit?

That would let you do things like prepare forts and ammo, but only with a limited amount of time to do it in, forcing you to choose priorities.  Then at night all the people disappear and you have to fend for yourself.  Like how Silent Hill puts you in different dimensions, but there's a foraging mechanic.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #23 on: 10/ 05/ 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
What if during the day everything is fine, but at night everything goes to shit?

That would let you do things like prepare forts and ammo, but only with a limited amount of time to do it in, forcing you to choose priorities.  Then at night all the people disappear and you have to fend for yourself.  Like how Silent Hill puts you in different dimensions, but there's a foraging mechanic.

Hmmm...Those poses the question: Do we want the game to be based on action, exploration, or survival? I'd say mostly the last two, with only a little of the first. But that's just my opinion.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #24 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 12:13:41 AM »

that reminds me of a zombie iphone game where you had a map and during the day u spend points to search buildings and find guns/survivors etc and at night u get behind the defenses and shoot zombies can't remember what it's called but thats what ur post reminded me of.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #25 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 12:35:35 AM »
 I love the idea of balancing your daytime activities with finding some kind of defensible position, and having to ward off attacks at night. Whether that means setting traps, barring off doors and windows, cowering with your back to a corner. That would create a real feeling of constant suspense (and if done really well, a feeling of real exhaustion).

Imagine, if you will, the transition between day and night in minecraft. You have no weapons, no where to run, and no armour. Four hits (or some other arbitrary low number) will kill you. Your only choice would be to hide in a hole or something. Now, what if the enemy could dig?

This is the closest relateable scenario I can think of off the top of my head, but I think it gets the idea across. I believe amnesia does something similar in the fact that it lets you drag furniture in front of a door. For the sake of examples, we'll call the foe ghouls. You move some stuff in front of the door, and night falls. The ghouls start assaulting the door. The break the door and start to push at the blockade. You have to beat them back with a pickaxe(?), or fire off some rounds into the doorway, or maybe throw your lantern(?) and set the whole mess ablaze.

sleepy time is the best time for ideas, but the worst for the will to continue typing.

JohZho

•   
  • Hottou Cakey
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Classiest of the classy Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #26 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 12:59:47 AM »

What if... WE COMPLETELY TURN THAT AROUND, at night its fine, but at day everything is freaky shitfuckcrap.
And then unexpected scary night part.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #27 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 01:05:44 AM »
@Mav

Players could turn it into an action game in certain instances, but I agree with you, definitely the last 2: exploration and survival.  Even then, everything is incredibly nerfed so that you can't buff up your defenses and skate along like you can after 30-40 hrs in RPGs.  Gunpowder is scarce, have to make guns from scratch by finding journals, no matter what walls you build in forts their strength if finite and will crumble after so much stress, and even then the amount of time you waste finding the resources has a direct effect on how well you're prepared for the approaching night.  They're all just momentary reprieves to get you from one point to another, so there will be some story element to carry things along, I think. 

So there is a Minecraft mechanic to this which people would eat right up. 

Also, like Silent Hill, and to an extent, Majora's Mask, we could play the light world/dark world concept to maybe help townspeople (or if they're damned or lost souls in the light world, free them) by going after certain monsters in the dark world or accomplishing certain things... I don't know, breaking down temples or something, maybe removing/breaking glyphs/artifacts.  I don't want it to be straight-up action hero tossing grenades in monsters mouths, but maybe if you had to use stealth or find some way to trick or repel monsters into leaving territories.

mcnyers

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #28 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 02:43:16 AM »
This is just an idea, but what if there was a stealth element to battles a'la Metal Gear Solid where you could try to tactically find your way around monsters?

Armoured badger

•   
  • *Gibberish*
  • Badges Bears Beedog Approved Item Shop Penguin Tagged Sauninda Rockmelon Game Night Spotted Memebon tee hee hee Dancing with Myself
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #29 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 04:11:40 AM »
This is just an idea, but what if there was a stealth element to battles a'la Metal Gear Solid where you could try to tactically find your way around monsters?
i like that idea, like in deadly premonition, even if it was useless

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #30 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 04:30:40 AM »
Players could turn it into an action game in certain instances, but I agree with you, definitely the last 2: exploration and survival.  Even then, everything is incredibly nerfed so that you can't buff up your defenses and skate along like you can after 30-40 hrs in RPGs.

light world/dark world
going after certain monsters in the dark
removing/breaking glyphs/artifacts

Love these ideas! If things go the seals/glyphs/etc route, maybe everything surrounds dark, ancient Native American rituals and such. It might sound like it could go into an action/adventure Zelda style, but games like Fatal Frame pulled it off perfectly when it came to combining survival-horror and seals/glyphs/etc.

I like this idea. Though I think players should have a choice. For instance, in Silent Hill you could either run, hide, or fight. Whereas, in Siren (if memory serves me right) your only real choice was to hide.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #31 on: 10/ 06/ 2011, 09:41:39 AM »
What if... WE COMPLETELY TURN THAT AROUND, at night its fine, but at day everything is freaky shitfuckcrap.
And then unexpected scary night part.

this would certainly be an interesting element, could have it so the 'ghouls' are pretty much blind and stumbling around at night, so the player could use that time for collection and stuff, while still maintaining a creepy aura. Could also make a few special types of 'ghouls' that could see in the dark as something to avoid when scavenging

I do like the barricade mechanic, and think it could add a whole new element to the players suspense.  The player will be constantly worrying about the barricade and if they did anything wrong while making it, wrong placement, wrong type, etc.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #32 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 05:06:49 AM »
So, it's starting to feel like everyone is just throwing out ideas. I think it would be good to focus on specific things and working our way through. Like...Sharp's attempt at creating a game was handled perfectly, I think, since things were decided upon in sections instead of randomly.

Here are specific things I think we should work on. If I'm overstepping my bounds, just let me know. Just stuff coming out of my brain.

Genre (FPS, 3PS, rhythm game, etc) I'd go for rhythm game
Type of horror
Setting (Covered)
Story
Main character
Primary objective (What is the ultimate goal of the game?)
Enemies (Zombies, ghosts, demons, mutants, general otherworldly abominations, etc)
Weapons

I think, once we figure out the story, figuring out specific in-game stuff will be easier (like the barricade idea, for instance). Also, certain story elements and such might depend on what the coder(s) and modeler(s) can do. And, I was gonna get into the deeper, mechanical side of things, but the dudes handling the coding probably have that covered.

I feel like I'm trying to steal the reins. I'm totally not. XD I just have too many ideas...

mcnyers

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #33 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
Rhythm zombie survival western......puzzler

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #34 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
Should it be set to a death metal narrative?

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #35 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 11:08:12 AM »
Should it be set to a death metal narrative?
Dethklok - The Lost Vikings Small | Large

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #36 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 11:16:02 AM »
well now that we got the general idea out, i think the rest of the writing should be handled by the person actually writing/creating the setting. The person(s) should be asking us specific questions etc.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #37 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
Rhythm zombie survival western......puzzler

...shmup............fighter................................ .................dating sim....

well now that we got the general idea out, i think the rest of the writing should be handled by the person actually writing/creating the setting. The person(s) should be asking us specific questions etc.

Well, according to Mr. Pankin:

myself-modeling, animation, textures, general other stuff
shibalba- sound, music?
halidar- writing, voice
mav-concept art, textures
friend a- level design
friend b-programing/scripting
fry- cheerleader

Not sure if this has been overwritten or not, though. Looks like Halidar's the writing person. Though, I think it would be good to have multiple writers for sharing/bouncing ideas and such. I'd (of course) be more than happy to be another writer if it came down to that, but I've already got concept art/textures.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #38 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
Mr. Pankin should add lead designer to his list as he is Mr. Bossman. Once a solidified concept and a bunch of  scenarios are settled, I can pump out drafts.

The writers are the people who do the quest design and a great portion of the story and level concepting, as well as all of the dialogue writing (which takes up the vast portion of our time).

This, is a big job, and not something I can even pretend to do unaided.

A level designer, meanwhile, is someone whose focus is on setting up the actual layout of a given level. This is often almost as much of an art-related task as it is design. System designers are the people who put together the actual gameplay systems, such as spellcasting or combat. Cinematic designers are the people who put together the cutscenes, and these days are also the people who retouch cinematic dialogue to make it have more impact. Technical designers, meanwhile, get to be the people responsible for putting it all together and making it actually work. They populate the levels, balance the combats, and they do all the scripting to make the plots go.
*-David Gaider

Trees with many branches to fill.

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
    • AstroStasis Music
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #39 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 02:35:06 PM »
thats what im saying if Halidar is the lead writer then he should be the one to bounce ideas off of us/ask us questions etc. instead of all of us chiming in with no order that way we can start to focus and tighten things up.  But hay i've never made a game before so i dunno how these things work :D