Untitled Horror Game
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Untitled Horror Game  (Read 13137 times)

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #40 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 03:13:52 PM »
I do think it's a good idea for the writer to ask us questions and such. But still, writing is a big job (one of the biggest jobs in a story-driven game, even) and there should be one or two more people to help out. Then they can pose us questions and such.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #41 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 03:17:05 PM »
thats what im saying if Halidar is the lead writer then he should be the one to bounce ideas off of us/ask us questions etc. instead of all of us chiming in with no order that way we can start to focus and tighten things up.  But hay i've never made a game before so i dunno how these things work :D

this.  Though right now i think the war-room of this thread is a good idea for now, once I get everything for the core group of people up and running, we'll move to having leads for writing, art, etc.  And of course I still encourage anyone interested in joining our 'core team' to let me know what you wanna do or what skill sets you have that might be useful for this

also, I'm hoping to find a few more people for various parts of the project, which I'll update the first post with what I'm looking for a little later

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #42 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 03:37:18 PM »
BRAINSTORM ON!

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #43 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
Just started drawing stuff for inspirational purposes. Random rough enemy concepts:

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #44 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 04:24:55 PM »
 Hey Mav, think you can come up with something that wouldn't look out of place as a day time enemy, and have problems seeing at night? I really like the concept of reversing the typical perceptions of night and day in the horror game.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #45 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 04:26:35 PM »

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #46 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
BRAINSTORM ON!

I am ashamed at how long I had to look at that before I understood.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #47 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
Hey Mav, think you can come up with something that wouldn't look out of place as a day time enemy, and have problems seeing at night? I really like the concept of reversing the typical perceptions of night and day in the horror game.

I think I could come up with something. The enemy above on the left could even work. But, do you mean one should have trouble seeing it at night, or have an easy time seeing it at night?

Speaking of night vs. day, I love that idea. I think night would become that much more horrifying if a lot of the game took place during the day. Much of horror surrounds fear of the unknown, and people tend to lose that fear the further they get in a game that's primarily set in the dark. Throw them into the dark blind and it's that much more horrifying. Then there are the times when the character enters a dark, enclosed area where anything could happen.

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #48 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 05:11:26 PM »
I think I could come up with something. The enemy above on the left could even work. But, do you mean one should have trouble seeing it at night, or have an easy time seeing it at night?

Speaking of night vs. day, I love that idea. I think night would become that much more horrifying if a lot of the game took place during the day. Much of horror surrounds fear of the unknown, and people tend to lose that fear the further they get in a game that's primarily set in the dark. Throw them into the dark blind and it's that much more horrifying. Then there are the times when the character enters a dark, enclosed area where anything could happen.

Something will have trouble seeing at night. The main enemy should be mostly useless at night, that forces the exploration to be done in the dark. Then, there can be the odd special ghoul that is active at night, to really fuck your shit up when you think your safe.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #49 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
Ahhh, trouble seeing. Definitely good. That would mean it would have to be an enemy with darker clothing/skin. Various dead things are always good for that. XD But, ultimately, the appearance of the enemies will depend on the story. Which is why I think that should be gotten out of the way first and foremost.

Also, I keep getting this flashing in my head at the mention of dark/light: A town where the inhabitants were sacrificed to some horrible abomination so that their souls (manifested as the main enemies) are at constant unrest. The people who did the sacrifices ascended (or descended, rather) into creatures and now prowl about at night searching for new offerings (those would be the special ghouls). The victims have less power at night because they have a primal fear of the night creatures.

I dunno...

mcnyers

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #50 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 07:57:52 PM »
Can I be in charge of the movie adaption? I may be able to ring up Uwe Boll, then things would really get rolling.

The Monk

• Dragon Lancer
  •   
  • Badges gif of the week Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Moderator Inufantry SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Manly Man Classiest of the classy Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #51 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
I like the thought of monsters having at least one disability to them.  A monster that can't see at night let's you explore as Halidar said.  A monster that can't see at all but can hear (maybe a tunneler) forces you to tread lightly or seek high ground.

I keep wanting to turn this into a SoTC-type game.  I f I write anything be prepared: I go for the really overdramatic.  Because right now I really like the way that game does endboss victories, and stuff like that's been playing in my mind for the past day.

The End of the Battle Small | Large

AstroStasis

• Formerly Shibalba
  •   
  • Nombie Panda!
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Jill Sandwich Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder Teach the children. Manly Man Magfest 9 Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Easter Egg Finder Rockstar Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010 New York Dance
    • AstroStasis Music
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #52 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 09:32:41 PM »
Can I be in charge of the movie adaption? I may be able to ring up Uwe Boll, then things would really get rolling trolling.

fixed

mcnyers

•   
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Artsy Fartsy Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Teach the children. Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #53 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 10:03:27 PM »

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #54 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
I've been reading some postmortems by some various studios to get some more ideas of what to look out for in this whole process.  One thing I've started thinking about is the overall length of the game,  more importantly, the scope of the overall game.  I'm leaning toward a shorter, episodic game.

So we know where we want the game to be, when we want the game to be, and some other various parts about the game, but I do think we should start focusing a bit on the story.  I think as we figure out the overall story to the game, some of the features and game mechanics will fall into place

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #55 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 10:43:32 PM »
I think as we figure out the overall story to the game, some of the features and game mechanics will fall into place

Agreed 500%.

Also, I think the game should be about trains. The main character could be a train conductor (who also looks like a train), and it's your job to steer the train in the right direction so it doesn't hit other trains, wagons, dinosaurs, or people. You get powerups that look like turkeys, and they can give you the ability to shoot various baked goods out of cannons built into the sides of the train. Your ultimate goal is to make your way to BBQ Mountain where there are endless piles of ketchup packets (the game's currency).

Alright, cool. Glad we got that covered.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #56 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
Agreed 500%.

Also, I think the train should be about trains. The main train could be a train (who also looks like a train), and it's your job to steer the train in the right direction so it doesn't hit other trains, trains, trains, or trains. You get trains that look like trains, and they can give you the ability to shoot various train goods out of trains built into the sides of the train. Your ultimate train is to make your way to train Mountain where there are endless trains of trains (the game's currency).

Alright, cool. Glad we got trains.

Here's some good articles focusing on horror games and one on immersion from developers that should be pretty useful to flip through

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4236/designing_for_immersion_.php

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4143/dynamics_of_narrative.php (mostly about sound design)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5772/revival_horror_new_ideas_in_.php

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6480/scary_game_findings_a_study_of_.php
« Last Edit: 10/ 07/ 2011, 11:04:18 PM by pankin »

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #57 on: 10/ 07/ 2011, 11:55:09 PM »
 Homework! I miss homework, I'll have it read by 2 hours from now!

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #58 on: 10/ 08/ 2011, 12:12:38 AM »
Homework! I miss homework, I'll have it read by 2 hours from now!

You're forgetting the 10 page papers I want written on each paragraph of each article, due in 15 minutes.  GO.  (Don't worry, I'm doing my homework too!

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
    • Oni
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #59 on: 10/ 08/ 2011, 12:20:34 AM »
I've been studying horror obsessively for my whole life, so for a minute I was like "Nah, I'm good". But that is the most arrogant, idiotic thing I've ever thought. I realize that I should really put my pride aside and read the horror links. :| If anything, one learns even more when reading every piece of info as it comes.

EDIT: And this post itself sounds arrogant and idiotic. I'll shut up now.
« Last Edit: 10/ 08/ 2011, 12:58:27 AM by Manic Maverick »