Untitled Horror Game
Sup, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Untitled Horror Game  (Read 13346 times)

JohZho

• Warden of the south
  •   
  • Hottou Cakey
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Classiest of the classy Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #80 on: 10/ 09/ 2011, 09:46:11 PM »
We just have to come up with something that's most inhuman but with human like appearances to up the freakiness. Some variations of chupacabra before it was even called chupacabra? possibly some ability to make humans that were sucked up dry from all their blood animate, evil, and possibly hungry for flesh/blood?

So this would work because a) we're not villianizing any group of people b) chupacabras are pretty effin mysterious still, and we really don't know much about it as of now except of it sucking the blood dry out of certain creatures. Probably doesn't even exist, so that works to our advantage in a way c) The whole turning sucked dry of blood humans into insane beings will give possibilities of different enemy types? 

We just have to exaggerate it and have the characters give it a different name.

-me throwing stuff at the wall-   

JTHomeslice

•   
  • GIRI GIRI AI~~~
  • Badges Cosplayer Jill Sandwich Easter Egg Finder Sauninda Beedog Approved Inufantry Teach the children. Item Shop Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #81 on: 10/ 09/ 2011, 09:52:51 PM »
You're saying they're like dry husks? That could be interesting and can have lots of variations. Would you eventually face the creature(s) that sucked them dry?

JohZho

• Warden of the south
  •   
  • Hottou Cakey
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Classiest of the classy Penguin Tagged Dancing with Myself Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #82 on: 10/ 09/ 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
what if the chupacabrawhatsits have been making these dry husks for the longest times w/o certain areas of the world knowing? and these dry dudes has been practicing some kinda ritual? That'd add in some even more depth...

-throwing more stuff at the wall, don't even know anymore-

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Moderator Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #83 on: 10/ 09/ 2011, 11:13:28 PM »
The antagonists should only be the one evil tribe.
Too keep the tone and setting relevant it could easily be native rituals being used, or more specifically, being abused by someone or some organization/group.

Instead of a whole "evil tribe" I think it would be cool if we had a "The Road to El Dorado" type main villain vibe [Disney movie, pretty good too] where an individual sells out his people and their secrets after being banished or found guilty of some crime. The natives used to call on the spirit world for guidance, but by corrupting the ritual for power he unleashes the ghouls. Maybe he's bribed by the mining company tycoon to enslave the spirits for labour or by some other party, or maybe he decides to form his own organization to get revenge.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #84 on: 10/ 10/ 2011, 01:29:15 AM »
I was finally able to steal the computer I'm going to be using as a storage server to keep all the game files on from my brother tonight.  I'm going to get a few pieces of software running (SVC and such) and get everyone who's wanting to do 'core team' login info and stuff for it.  Go ahead if you're interested in being in the core group, shoot me a PM or even post in here to let me know

I'm guessing that this game will take somewhere in the vicinity of 9 months to a year (6 months if we're really good :P ) As a general rule of thumb, Pre-Production lasts about 25% of the development cycle, so we've got plenty of time to keep building up these ideas and finalize the story and such.  ...I forget where I was going with this, I'm tired, and remembered that and found it interesting so I thought I'd share it.

also, was bored today and started thinking about the mine:

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #85 on: 10/ 10/ 2011, 08:06:51 PM »
Instead of a whole "evil tribe" I think it would be cool if we had a "The Road to El Dorado" type main villain vibe [Disney movie, pretty good too] where an individual sells out his people and their secrets after being banished or found guilty of some crime. The natives used to call on the spirit world for guidance, but by corrupting the ritual for power he unleashes the ghouls. Maybe he's bribed by the mining company tycoon to enslave the spirits for labour or by some other party, or maybe he decides to form his own organization to get revenge.

This sounds like a pretty cool idea. He sounds like he'd probably form his own group, though, as opposed to being bribed by someone. Maybe he wants to use the spirits for something. Also, loved that movie so much.

Also, switched up/extended upon my idea. Beware, this post is the size of a novel:

There was a cult that existed somewhere near the setting of the story. They were so mysterious that they were more of a folk tale whispered among the tribes in the region. Some say that they had seen them: Tall, odd masks, always wearing robes that shrouded their features. Some even said that there was nothing under the robes at all; just pure darkness (which is false). But, in any case, the cult (or the idea of them, rather) was feared.

It was common for people in the region to disappear, seemingly at random. Men, women, and children alike vanished. No matter where the tribesmen searched, they couldn't find a single trace of them. It was whispered that the cult had something to do with it, but the majority of the people in the tribes didn't believe they existed. They attributed the supposed "random" disappearances to animal attacks or some fated natural occurrence. Those who did the whispering, however, called it being "taken by the ground" (or some equivalent).

In truth, it was the cult's doing. Over numerous years, they would steal away men, women, and children and bring them deep into their underground dwelling. Here, they would choose which ones would cannibalize the others, so that their souls could be tainted in order to be sacrificed to their god. After their souls were removed, the bodies would become corrupted and changed, becoming thralls to the cultists. These thralls would continue gathering people for the ritual, while being fed human flesh.

One night, several tribes woke up to horribly twisted versions of their friends and relatives (people they thought long dead and gone) coming into their villages and attacking, killing, and stealing away people for a special sacrifice that only happened every few hundred years. Only a few people made it out of those catastrophes: The ancestors of the people in the main game.

This ritual was similar to how the original cultists came to be. Millennia ago, an entity appeared in front of people in a village in some other part of the world. It gathered them and "made them divine" (rather, it killed them and turned them into horrible monstrosities), telling them to use their divine powers to do his bidding. Thus began their cult, where they practiced several rituals (including the sacrificial ritual which gave them their thralls). Later, they migrated to pre-America and continued their practice. For a long while before the catastrophe in the Native American villages, they were preparing for the return of their god.

After the catastrophe, the cultists mysteriously disappeared, leaving their thralls behind. But the thralls could last for thousands of years, until their bodies slowly rotted away. So they sat, waiting loyally for their masters to return. All the while they became hungrier and hungrier for human flesh. Until the day came when they were freed.

And that's the idea. That was way longer than I thought it was gonna be. XD Anyway, this would make it so that the enemies aren't a Native American tribe and are more outsiders than anything. The Native Americans you meet in the game would be on the good side.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
  • Badges Rockmelon Game Night Moonspeaker Jill Sandwich Penguin Tagged Beedog Approved Inufantry Sauninda Sauninda harder SCIENCE! Teach the children. Artsy Fartsy Classiest of the classy Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Community Podcaster Rockstar Secret Santa 2010 Moderator Rockmelon Soda Staff
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #86 on: 10/ 13/ 2011, 01:17:58 AM »
Did I kill this thread?

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
  • Badges Jill Sandwich Marikondesu Beedog Approved Artsy Fartsy Rockmelon Game Night Item Shop SCIENCE! Classiest of the classy Magfest 9 Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #87 on: 10/ 13/ 2011, 02:50:52 AM »
I'm a slow reader :P

been outta town, but I like the idea of a demon like thing kinda forming the cult, and the cult forming the monsters / thingies that you run in to

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #88 on: 10/ 18/ 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
Double postans, but wanted everyone to know that I'm still workin on this, and actually starting to pump out some environmental models based around the what we've talked about (mostly mine based stuff so far, and just doing basic texturing and such for now, once we get a good roll going, i'll be going back to do bump maps and normal maps on everything.

I'm still working on getting a storage server deal up and running (computer won't boot via USB, and i don't have a sata dvd drive to get it to boot right now, so it's stuck without an OS till I can figure that out.)  once that's done, i'll have to figure out all that other crap about what i need to be running and how to get you all on the server and junk.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #89 on: 10/ 18/ 2011, 11:07:04 PM »
Do you think Dropbox would help with things at all?

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #90 on: 10/ 19/ 2011, 01:27:57 AM »
it helps a little bit, you just have to have everyone on board with being uber careful only copy-pasting stuff in and out of it. (had a good portion of my groups final project destroyed once by someone just drag-dropping junk in and out of it before)
That being said, I can get a dropbox group up and running for most of the stuff (concept art, story, etc), but keep most of the models and other stuff on my server here to avoid those issues.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #91 on: 10/ 19/ 2011, 01:35:55 AM »
Ahh, okay. Yeah, maybe just put up the stuff that everyone can use in general. In some way or another.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #92 on: 10/ 21/ 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
a quick scene i tossed together with a couple assets i've created so far for the game.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #93 on: 10/ 22/ 2011, 12:29:15 AM »
That's awesome! Love the contrast. Nice rock texture, too.

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #94 on: 11/ 02/ 2011, 02:08:15 AM »
Another object (almost) completed for the game.  Just have to add a bone structure so it can be hung and swing by the handle.  also feel like no matter what I do, the brass turns out wayyyy too bright, almost gold colored :(

It's slow going making these models, talking to a friend about helping out with modeling work

Halidar

•   
  • You Knew It All Along
  • Badges Inufantry Community Podcaster Moderator Sauninda harder Marikondesu Item Shop Manly Man Beedog Approved Sauninda SCIENCE! Teach the children. Iron Chef Spotted Memebon Bears Dancing with Myself tee hee hee Rockmelon Game Night Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #95 on: 11/ 02/ 2011, 10:58:09 AM »
 The brass looks right to me. I've been writing snibits and sketching random bobs as I've been walking around to make it easier when everything is set up to go into full blown power mode.

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #96 on: 11/ 02/ 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
That looks damn good, dude. :D The colouring looks right, too. It's a lot more brown than gold, which is the perfect brass.

Speaking of swinging a lantern, how will the physics work? I'm not familiar with the Unreal Engine. Can you move objects and such? And give them weight and whatnot? Also, ragdoll or no? Personally, I think ragdoll is better in more action-oriented games as opposed to survival-horror. But who knows, maybe not.

Neonie

• Lolicon
  •   
  • ⑨ Hime-Cut's, Loli's and scythes are best in life.
  • Badges Penguin Tagged Inufantry Teach the children. Spotted Memebon Bears tee hee hee Community Podcaster Secret Santa 2010
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #97 on: 11/ 02/ 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
This is the first time I've been in this thread. You guys are talking about Amnesia right?

That's a joke

pankin

•   
  • This is worst pizza.
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #98 on: 11/ 02/ 2011, 04:01:38 PM »
This is the first time I've been in this thread. You guys are talking about Amnesia right?

That's a joke

well, amnesia 2 will take place in the future and amnesia 3 will be wild west.
this is back to the future, right?

as far as physics in the game goes, you bind things like a hanging lantern using skeletal joints to  other objects(though I think, there is n easier way to do it) and just change a few settings to make it collide with other objects . For other objects just laying around, you just set them to collide with the environment, unreal also gives you the option to fragment meshes, so it makes it really easy to have objects break into pieces when they are destroyed

Manic Maverick

• Actual Demon™
  • Global Moderator
  •   
  • *Adjusts Yuri Goggles*
Untitled Horror Game
« Reply #99 on: 11/ 02/ 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
Ahhh. So in order to create ragdoll, you'd have to make it so that upon a character's death their body turns into an object that collides with the environment. Ohohooooo...The things I am learning, the things!